High frequency crackling sounds and USB jack...
Jul 30, 2012 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Digeeedad

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my E17 (my first headphone amp/DAC for less than a week and using this helpful forum, have been able to learn about computer and device settings. I'm fairly sure I have the settings configured correctly, including having downloaded the WASPI plug in for Foobar, which I am using as my player.

The issue I am having is that when listening to music using Foobar/WASPI, or by-passing WASPI by selecting just the E17 in the device options/preferences of Foobar, I am encountering a high frequency crackling noise, during music playback. Piano, guitar etc. distorts with the crackling noise. The only way I have found to stop it is to unplug and re-insert the USB cable into the E17. This stops the crackling and distortion until such time that I either restart Foobar or sometimes change albums. The E17 display screen indicates 48k 16 bit when I am playing music from my iTunes library. Before beginning play, the screen shows 96k 24 bit. The distortion seems to occur when the E17 and Foobar switch from the high to the lower setting. Unplugging/replugging the USB cable fixes this until the next occurrence.

I can't imagine needing to unplug/plug the USB cable is normal or that doing so continuously won't prematurely wear out the E17 USB jack. Any ideas as to what's going on? Again fairly certain settings are correct.... could I have a defective E17 as it seems to be an ongoing problem. 

Would very much appreciate some input... Thanks

Jul 30, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 2
You should set your E17 to 24/96 all the time and see how it goes. If it is Wondows, Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound > Playback (tab) > select E17 properties > Advanced (tab) > Default format.

Don't know about iOS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back