High-End Universals to Low-End Customs? Worth it?
Sep 14, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 2-way Livewires are very nice and sound kinda like a recabled Grado RS-1. It took a $400 universal IEM with $100 custom tips to beat it (W3 and UM3X). So, if the OP has UM3X and buys UM56 tips it should sound better than the Livewires (more refined, extended, neutral and accurate). My Livewires are probably very slightly better than a W3 or UM3X with standard universal tips, but it's been so long since I compared them (and I misplaced my W3/UM56).

If you can't afford a $399 JH5Pro then you likely can't afford to put the UM3X into a custom shell. I heard the universal version of the UE4Pro at CanJam and it sounded very much like a UM3X with custom tips, but I couldn't get a good seal with the JH5Pro demos. However, I imagine, based on my experience with both the universal demos of a custom product and the final version (JH13Pro and UE11Pro), that the UE4Pro will sound even better as a properly fitted custom. Same holds true with the JH5Pro.

So, I would say - either get a UM56 custom tip for your UM3X (which beats a livewires) or sell them and get a UE4Pro or JH5Pro (which beats a livewires).

The JH5 here in Singapore is outrageously priced. Perhaps twice what it costs for people in the US from a local shop here. If i were to sort it out myself, I would still be looking at paying US$500 inc shipping/impressions. Probably more if I have to get refits upon refits, especially likely since these are my first customs. I might get back US$280 from selling my UM3X at local prices (I definitely won't lose anything on them as I got them second hand). My parents would also likely stop me from buying the JH5s anyway which will be a problem when comes to paying.

On the other hand, custom UM3X is a fixed US$179 cost (say $210 with impressions) from another shop here. The UM56 is $119 from earphone solutions. With impressions and shipping, I'm probably still looking at $200 for them (not including potential refits)

Custom UM3X looks pretty good at this point. Hassle-free with controllable costs and I roughly know what I'm in for. My concern is whether the customization will really help SQ. Frequency response shouldn't change too much I don't think. Detail also may improve but I doubt I'll be too discerning. What is important to me is getting that darn soundstage out of the UM3X along with some openness. Sounds cramped at times.

Looks like livewires is out of the question thanks HPA.

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The JH5 here in Singapore is outrageously priced. Perhaps twice what it costs for people in the US from a local shop here. If i were to sort it out myself, I would still be looking at paying US$500 inc shipping/impressions. Probably more if I have to get refits upon refits, especially likely since these are my first customs. I might get back US$280 from selling my UM3X at local prices (I definitely won't lose anything on them as I got them second hand). My parents would also likely stop me from buying the JH5s anyway which will be a problem when comes to paying.

On the other hand, custom UM3X is a fixed US$179 cost (say $210 with impressions) from another shop here. The UM56 is $119 from earphone solutions. With impressions and shipping, I'm probably still looking at $200 for them (not including potential refits)

Custom UM3X looks pretty good at this point. Hassle-free with controllable costs and I roughly know what I'm in for. My concern is whether the customization will really help SQ. Frequency response shouldn't change too much I don't think. Detail also may improve but I doubt I'll be too discerning. What is important to me is getting that darn soundstage out of the UM3X along with some openness. Sounds cramped at times.

Looks like livewires is out of the question thanks HPA.

That is a good price to customize them. The ES3X custom and UM3X share the same drivers, and the custom does have improved transparency and soundstage over the UM3X with UM56 tips. If you get a true dual-barrel sound tube custom you should get some nice improvements.

Sep 15, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is a good price to customize them. The ES3X custom and UM3X share the same drivers, and the custom does have improved transparency and soundstage over the UM3X with UM56 tips. If you get a true dual-barrel sound tube custom you should get some nice improvements.

I suspected it was a good price. Singapore's a great place for audiophiles
biggrin.gif

How do dual-barrel sound tubes help? I suppose I could request it when I go down to order.

Sep 15, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

I suspected it was a good price. Singapore's a great place for audiophiles
biggrin.gif

How do dual-barrel sound tubes help? I suppose I could request it when I go down to order.

from a few UM custom pictures i saw in sgheadphones was all dual bores. not sure it is default also, but if ear canal is very small maybe cannot.

japan Fitear customs uses triple-barrel sound tubes, not sure it affects SQ.

Sep 15, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie0904 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from a few UM custom pictures i saw in sgheadphones was all dual bores. not sure it is default also, but if ear canal is very small maybe cannot.

japan Fitear customs uses triple-barrel sound tubes, not sure it affects SQ.

Yes, separating the drivers output until the very end does make a difference. By using a dual bore, or triple bore design the sounds that each driver outputs doesn't mix together causing muddiness or loss of detail. So clarity and detail are better.

Sep 16, 2009 at 9:16 AM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, separating the drivers output until the very end does make a difference. By using a dual bore, or triple bore design the sounds that each driver outputs doesn't mix together causing muddiness or loss of detail. So clarity and detail are better.

Thanks MaoDi. I wonder why the UM3X doesn't have double bore already... The one bore it has is tiny.

Well now I'll be counting them pennies and seeing whether I can go for them.

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Thanks MaoDi. I wonder why the UM3X doesn't have double bore already... The one bore it has is tiny.

Well now I'll be counting them pennies and seeing whether I can go for them.

Because making a dual bore is incredibly hard in a universal. The single bore that the UM3X uses right now is smaller in diameter than ONE of the bores in a custom monitor. They have to keep it at that diameter for universals so users are able to use different size tips. UE made their TF10 and SF5P dual bore, however the disadvantage is that the bore is massive, therefore their smallest tip is limited to the massive soundtube it has.

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #38 of 38
Hey guys. The plot has twisted. I've found a local seller of some westone 3 drivers (case broken already) which I can use to customize. I'm gonna go audition the westone 3s tomorrow at a shop to check out what their sound quality is like. I take it that certain properties of the sound are very dependent on the drivers and other properties are dependent on the casing and design of the IEM.

So basically, with the view to making custom W3s or UM3Xs, what aspects of the sound quality should I pay closer attention to?

Thanks a lot
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back