High-End Universals to Low-End Customs? Worth it?
Sep 8, 2009 at 10:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

A_Dying_Wren

100+ Head-Fier
^ As per title.

Basically, I have UM3X that will retain its value very well and I have very recently come to like for its neutrality and detail. After a rocky start ruined by the Nuforce Icon Mobile, it actually does sound pretty good. Coming from the IE8 though, the soundstage is smaller and the bass lacks a little boom like when bass drums are hit.

Is it worth the jump to lower-end customs (cheaper essentially)? The JH5s, Livewire 2/3s, UE4, Sleek customs, etc. Mostly looking at the JH5s which seem pretty good value. Or, I could turn these into customs but I'm wary of sending off my UM3X to some random guy.

Has anyone else come through the UM3X/other high end universals --> cheaper customs route? Is it worth it? I'll probably sell my UM3X to fund it if I do.

Sep 8, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 38
I didn't own them, but listened/auditioned Triple Fi 10 IEMs for a little while and though they sounded good, my Fidelity Custom duals absolutely kill them in my opinion.

The only IEMs I have longstanding experience with other than the Fidelity is Shure SCL3, which is obviously further away from the Fidelitys than the UE TF10 was.

I would definitely recommend Fidelity/Livewires duals over any universal if you don't have constant upgraditis and are willing to go through the fitting process, understanding a refit or two is a possibility. Mine were great the first time, but not everyone is that fortunate with fit.

Sep 8, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 38
Anyone else? We can't all be going for JH13s?

Sep 8, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #4 of 38
I've got a few IEMs that i've been using for quite a while (in my sig). i should be getting my livewire duel driver IEMs pretty soon this week. i'll post my impressions if this thread is around.

Sep 9, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 38
Thanks dnullify and Tyrip. Didn't really consider the livewires but i guess cheap customs are too good to pass up on. Is there a huge difference between the dual and triple drivers?

Urgh... its so hard choosing customs. Besides HPA and a few elite no one seems to have multiple customs, much less cheaper customs.

To change the question, can anyone recommend a very neutral custom with very nice mids and a WIDE soundstage (very important. Looking for something to rival or better the IE8)

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #8 of 38
You could have your IE8's put in custom shells. They are cheaper to shell since they are single driver, and you'd still have the UM3X as universals. Custom IE8's should yield a great soundstage and bass. (UM can only do IE8's if your ear canal is big enough for them though.)

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks dnullify and Tyrip. Didn't really consider the livewires but i guess cheap customs are too good to pass up on. Is there a huge difference between the dual and triple drivers?

Urgh... its so hard choosing customs. Besides HPA and a few elite no one seems to have multiple customs, much less cheaper customs.

To change the question, can anyone recommend a very neutral custom with very nice mids and a WIDE soundstage (very important. Looking for something to rival or better the IE8)

Fidelity Customs/Livewires match that description in my opinion.

HPA thought/I believe still thinks very highly of the Livewires dual drivers.

I would be trying to decide between Fidelity/Livewires and JH5 if I were you, maybe UE4Pro.

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #11 of 38
There is a difference in livewire duel/tripple, but more drivers doesn't necessarily mean better. i suppose what you listen to, decides which (duel/tripple) is for you.

i went duel, because after explaining my music preferences to him, john diles suggested i go with duels. he said if i'm not satisfied, he can upgrade my piece for the difference, though he doubts that's necessary. He said the triple model was created to maintain competition with other brands.

but again, it probably depends on what you listen to.

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBY03evo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My JH5's sound better and have a way higher comfort level than any universal I have ever tried.

I would imagine they are among the best for the price - certainly better than any universal. I have only heard the universal version of that model, but it is lovely.

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #13 of 38
I'll echo the statements of other and say that even "budget" customs like Livewires duals and UE4pro represent a significant upgrade to the highest end universals. The fact that the price is similar makes it a no brainer for me. I can highly recommend the Livewires and UE4pro, and I'm sure the JH5 is in the same league as well.

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #14 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could have your IE8's put in custom shells. They are cheaper to shell since they are single driver, and you'd still have the UM3X as universals. Custom IE8's should yield a great soundstage and bass. (UM can only do IE8's if your ear canal is big enough for them though.)

Are you talking about getting shells from Unique Melody? B/C I was under the impression that they can't reshell dynamic drivers...

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by project86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll echo the statements of other and say that even "budget" customs like Livewires duals and UE4pro represent a significant upgrade to the highest end universals. The fact that the price is similar makes it a no brainer for me. I can highly recommend the Livewires and UE4pro, and I'm sure the JH5 is in the same league as well.

Project86, could you say a few words on the sound signatures of the Lives and UE4s? Also, safe to assume they are equally comfortable?

Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back