High-End Solid State Amps : Overview & Roundtable
Sep 9, 2009 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 114

LeMat

100+ Head-Fier
After some pleasing experiences in the tube world, I feel I still miss something, mainly dynamics, bass control and accuracy, where SS usually excel in (I know some will argue about this...sorry).

Tubes amps are widely discussed throughout this forum and I've learned a lot while browsing threads but I couln't say so for what relate to high-end SS amp (single ended). Maybe because people don't favor them .... or are to busy listening to them !

So my goal is to gather informations on what is available and what's the more commendable, what are users impressions and so on.. Excluding price consideration.

So far I'm trying to make my mind on some ...
- Red Wine Isabellina HPA
- Headamp GS-1
- SPL Phonitor or Auditor
- Headroom Desktop Amp
- Rudistor NX 03 or RPX 33

... but would welcome any others.. just to slow down my decision and protect my wallet !

I'm a bit surprised not to find ultra high end / esoteric stuff (you know with fancy components, silver wired and all the bling bling
smily_headphones1.gif
), similar to what's available in HiFi. Maybe a matter of time since it's fast growing market, with a build-up of quality and price.

Thanks for your input

Sep 9, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 114
Find someone to build you a beta22 and be done with it.

Sep 9, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by UglyJoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Find someone to build you a beta22 and be done with it.

I've indeed read a lot good thing about the Beta22.... as well as it's clearly not a beginner DIY project !

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 114
GS-1 has noticeably more dynamic than a WA2 and surprisingly warm, not as cold as I thought.
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 114
OK that start to make a lot to choose from...
All have very nice specs. Any clue on what should be considered to differentiate them from each other ? I mean, for example the red wine is battery powered, the spl uses this 120V technology... some may have external PSU.
Choosing a SS amp appears to be even harder than a tube one ! Is it possible to group them up into some categories ? price range, warmth, I don't know what would be the most relevant.

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #11 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeMat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After some pleasing experiences in the tube world, I feel I still miss something, mainly dynamics, bass control and accuracy, where SS usually excel in (I know some will argue about this...sorry).

Sorry, but I really feel the need to argue about this. The best tube amps aren't missing anything in my mind. What's the best you've heard?

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #12 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An m^3 (balanced or not) with a decent PS should be in the mix as well

The M^3 wasn't designed as a high-end amp. It was designed as a very good price/performance ratio amp. If offered the choice, I'd take the Beta22
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #13 of 114
My only two choices for SS are Beta 22 and GS-X
biggrin.gif

I'm gathering parts for my Beta 22 build.

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #14 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The M^3 wasn't designed as a high-end amp. It was designed as a very good price/performance ratio amp. If offered the choice, I'd take the Beta22
smily_headphones1.gif

You should try out a balanced m^3 with a sigma 22. It holds up very well against a beta 22.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #15 of 114
Beta 22, Audio-GD Phoenix, Ray Samuels Audio Apache, and Blue Circle Audio SBH are all terrific SS headphone amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back