High end set up from an iPod?
Mar 4, 2011 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

captian73

Headphoneus Supremus
I'd first like to say that I might be walking away from the headphone world in the near future. Thanks for all the support for my little site fakeheadphone.com .. but it's not so little now, and i've had two offers from serious investors, to take the site to the next level, however I want to pursue other interests
regular_smile%20.gif

So a big thank you to all the kindness that has been shown to me over the years, here at head-fi.

However I'm thinking either way, if i stick with the site or sell there'll be big money coming my way, so my question is ... seriously, how much you you spend on a system, when you have an ipod (touch, shuffle, nano .. whatever) as a source? I want to go out in style (Ultrasone Edition 8 at least) but would they be wasted on an ipod?

At the moment my top system is a RSA Hornet amp and my HD650's

Mar 4, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 16
The entire game has changed with regard to Ipod as a high end set up in the past few months.  I am now as I write listening to an ipod nano-Cypher Lab Solo-Boomslang-SR71b-LCD2.  We can really no longer say you cannot have high end performance in a portable package.  Before anyone jump in to say that is not a portable system.  I also have the nano 6--Solo--Pico Slim--ED8/JH13 and the SQ is not far from my other set up above thanks to the excellent Wolfson DAC inside the Solo.  Either one of these set up is comparable to many desktop set up so have your picks.

Mar 5, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 16
I guess it's not about portablilty as such .. it's about not wanting to hunp over 2,000 CD's about.

Mar 5, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #6 of 16
The cheapest way to do Ipod high end is to get a transport. The Onkyo ND-S1 or The Wadia iTransport for example. These bypass all of the ipod's internal components and send just the digital signal to your external DAC and amp. 
If your happy with your ipod's internal DAC, get an LOD to bypass the internal amp and use your RSA. LOD's can be had for fairly cheap, unless of course you choose to get caught up in the whole 'cable' debate..

Mar 5, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #7 of 16
I'd get a top-level custom IEM and call it a day. I wouldn't even bother with an amp. Alternatively, you can get something that lets you output digital from the ipod, and then use an external DAC into whatever amp and headphones you want. But that sort of thing is probably a waste. At that point I'd just get a small laptop as a portable music server, get a full-size stationary DAC and use the O2/BH rig with it.

Mar 5, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
That is not a portable system.

It certainly is portable.   It may not be as portable as fitting into a shirt pocket, but portable nonetheless.  The picture shown is Jian using his ipod classic with the Solo and RXMKII combo.  With this set up you are carrying a desktop level performance with you anywhere you go.  That is unheard off just a year ago.

1000x500px-LL-2e7cf4ec_1.jpg

Apr 16, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #10 of 16
I have a hard time thinking of an IPOD as a high-end source.  However, I also thought that to be the case with computer.  But that has changed since I bought a Mac and a Wavelength Proton which I use as a front end for my old, trusty, and very reliable SingelPower MPX3 Slam SE.  I am now considering buying a Wavelength Cosecant to replace the Proton.

Apr 16, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #11 of 16
The Fostex HP-P1 is awesome.  It's on the big side, but it and my iPhone fit in my pocket no problem.  Great sound and it would power the Ultrasone's no problem.  I'd vote for the Signature Pro's though :)

Apr 16, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #12 of 16
Agree on the Ipod Classic with a Clas Solo. Running it with a Pico Slim and Unique Melody Miracle custom IEMs and the sound is phenomenal.

Apr 16, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #13 of 16
My travel rig is now an iBasso DX100 with IEMs. I'm considering customs this year.  In addition to that, I'll take an L3 and full-sized headphones when going overseas. I've been using a HP-P1 for this already. The iBasso sounds surprisingly good.

Apr 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #14 of 16

Quote:
The entire game has changed with regard to Ipod as a high end set up in the past few months.  I am now as I write listening to an ipod nano-Cypher Lab Solo-Boomslang-SR71b-LCD2.  We can really no longer say you cannot have high end performance in a portable package.  Before anyone jump in to say that is not a portable system.  I also have the nano 6--Solo--Pico Slim--ED8/JH13 and the SQ is not far from my other set up above thanks to the excellent Wolfson DAC inside the Solo.  Either one of these set up is comparable to many desktop set up so have your picks.

What does the Boomslang add to the first rig?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back