High End Racks
Apr 22, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #136 of 166
Quote:
I could do 3 but it would be less sturdy, me thinks.

Might not happen at all if I can't find a place to cut some remnants for me.

I DON'T NEED A COUNTERTOP. I JUST WANT SOME SHELVES.

3 points of contact will be just as 'sturdy' as 4 - but guaranteed level, that's all. no big deal.

as far as your comment 'I DON'T NEED A COUNTERTOP. I JUST WANT SOME SHELVES', not sure what you mean by that.

Apr 22, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #137 of 166
Places won't just sell me shelves. They sell full countertops or nothing.

Quote:

3 points of contact will be just as 'sturdy' as 4 - but guaranteed level, that's all. no big deal.

as far as your comment 'I DON'T NEED A COUNTERTOP. I JUST WANT SOME SHELVES', not sure what you mean by that.

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #142 of 166
Places won't just sell me shelves. They sell full countertops or nothing.

Timbernation can make you some. Any size and thickness you need.

Apr 23, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #144 of 166
My fault, I thought you were looking for wood.

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #146 of 166
I would think you could find some place in Austin or the Hill Country that would cut stone of whatever variety you want.  The housing market has not picked up that much yet.

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #147 of 166
Definitely considering it. I'd just like to find a place to do per square foot cuts in general. Haven't found one yet.

Quote:
would you consider finding someone who does do stone work and paying for shipping? it won't be cheap, but ground shipping won't be the end of the world either, and you'll get exactly what you want

I've been contacting places but none have emailed me back and the ones that have only sell remnants in really large quantities. $35 square feet with like...a 20ft minimum.

Quote:
I would think you could find some place in Austin or the Hill Country that would cut stone of whatever variety you want.  The housing market has not picked up that much yet.

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #148 of 166
Quote:
Definitely considering it. I'd just like to find a place to do per square foot cuts in general. Haven't found one yet.

I've been contacting places but none have emailed me back and the ones that have only sell remnants in really large quantities. $35 square feet with like...a 20ft minimum.

I just went to my local shop that cuts stone for counter tops, walked in, threw the guy a hundred bucks and picked a few large pieces of scrap out of the back.  They are only scrap because they've been deemed too small for counter tops, otherwise they have been sanded and finished just the same as everything else.  He cut them all to my specifications right on the spot (not that hard as they were all the same size square).  If you deal with the front offices at these places you'll never get through as they don't see a huge gain in a hundred dollars worth of scrap that they'd otherwise get nothing for as compared to selling you an entire counter top.  That or they will nickel and dime you as you're starting to realize.  My bet is, if you visit a couple of these you'll find one that will do it, they all have scrap that they are just going to trash.  A "back-door-sale" such as this requires a bit more personal of a personal touch than an email if you're going to get something out of it.  Just a thought.

Apr 24, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #149 of 166
Quote:

I just went to my local shop that cuts stone for counter tops, walked in, threw the guy a hundred bucks and picked a few large pieces of scrap out of the back.  They are only scrap because they've been deemed too small for counter tops, otherwise they have been sanded and finished just the same as everything else.  He cut them all to my specifications right on the spot (not that hard as they were all the same size square).  If you deal with the front offices at these places you'll never get through as they don't see a huge gain in a hundred dollars worth of scrap that they'd otherwise get nothing for as compared to selling you an entire counter top.  That or they will nickel and dime you as you're starting to realize.  My bet is, if you visit a couple of these you'll find one that will do it, they all have scrap that they are just going to trash.  A "back-door-sale" such as this requires a bit more personal of a personal touch than an email if you're going to get something out of it.  Just a thought.

although there are places here that will cut to spec, this above is exactly what two of my friends ended up doing. there was a great collection of scrap soapstone for them to chose from, and it was relatively inexpensive.

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #150 of 166
I thought I'd post a picture of my shelf project.  I spent a lot of time looking for something nice to set up my equipment on.  I found that a lot of commercial stuff was either way too expensive for what you get, poorly made etc.  So I decided to try and build my own.  I think it came out pretty good.  It is based off the trellis audio rack. Different in that the shelves are all one piece, but similar design.  I'll post another pic after my equipment is set up on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back