High End Racks
Apr 17, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #121 of 166
If you do want to do something a little nicer looking eventually but stick to DIY I recently priced about a 3 shelf, 24" rack consisting of Maple Chopping blocks and threaded steel uprights.

It comes out to right around $200 all in, more if you want more shelves or more height. I'm looking forward to doing it soon myself.

I'm also considering the same thing with granite or marble shelves, just for fun. You could also add some rings of that rubber stuff between the shelves and nuts.

Quote:
I have a lot of cinder blocks already in my home for different things, so it's a motif I like. The utilitarian look is something I appreciate. But yes it looks pretty ghetto, but I bet it would compete very well with other high end racks, it's very massive obviously, and is vibration dampened at every level with an industrial strength rubber material known for its vibration dampening characteristics.

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #122 of 166
Quote:
If you do want to do something a little nicer looking eventually but stick to DIY I recently priced about a 3 shelf, 24" rack consisting of Maple Chopping blocks and threaded steel uprights.

It comes out to right around $200 all in, more if you want more shelves or more height. I'm looking forward to doing it soon myself.

I'm also considering the same thing with granite or marble shelves, just for fun. You could also add some rings of that rubber stuff between the shelves and nuts.

Youll have to keep me in the loop on that, sounds nice. Though for now im more worried about putting funds towards records and a ZP3 to replace my cruddy V-LPS II

Apr 17, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #123 of 166
Records have destroyed my analog budget, ironically. :D

I wanted to eventually order an $800 Mapleshade configuration but when I parted one out after having the idea to try it myself I was pretty shocked. It's not quite as polished, but overall would be just as effective..for 1/4 of the price.

I might just to do it and do the whole thing black. I saw a 'stealth' rack from Mapleshade (all black everything) and it looked gooooood.

Quote:
Youll have to keep me in the loop on that, sounds nice. Though for now im more worried about putting funds towards records and a ZP3 to replace my cruddy V-LPS II

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #124 of 166
There have been many articles in the UK hi-fi mags about analogue record deck support .
       One conclusion they came to is that if you have a suspended floor IE- Your floor is wooden and supported by the walls of the house then for better record player fidelity then the HIGHER MASS that the support had the better. 
      Many even had concrete bases and lead bases.- This isn't looked down on in this country but is classed as INDUSTRIAL architecture and welcomed into the home-BUT not I may add by the Female of the house.

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #127 of 166
Quote:
If you would rather buy a chair over a pair of sr009's you need to get your life straightened out. Come on kid. 

rolleyes.gif

I don't like sr009's, so yes I'd rather buy a nice piece of furniture over 5K$ headphones any day of the week. I don't see the sr009's as improved O2's, so I actually think that a comfy chair would bring more improvement to my system than new cans. Now that chair doesn't have to cost 5 grands.

Apr 19, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #128 of 166
CUSTOMCOCO- I agree with your view of the 009s yes more detail -but more musical-Personally I don't think so.
                           The 02s give a beautiful smooth very musical presentation with more than enough detail for me
                              as I have a very open system and there was just too much detail for me.
                                     But that chair!!- I love it!!

Apr 19, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #130 of 166
Quote:
CUSTOMCOCO- I agree with your view of the 009s yes more detail -but more musical-Personally I don't think so.
                           The 02s give a beautiful smooth very musical presentation with more than enough detail for me
                              as I have a very open system and there was just too much detail for me.
                                     But that chair!!- I love it!!

Thanks. I don't think that the sr009 are really more detailed. They just throw those details at you so that your brain doesn't to look for them. To me they're more like über-HD800 without the massive soundstage.

What chair are you talking about?
Quote:
I agree also, if something is extracting too much detail and going on all at once I don't think I'd enjoy listening out of that headphone ever.

I cannot imagine a stereo system that would be too detailed. Now I think that we are at a point in headphone development where you can't have a lot more details without altering the frequency response so that details are more apparent. Some people don't mind that coloration and thus only hear the upper level of details, that's all. 

Personally, I like my headphones smooth and relaxing. Therefore I'm naturally wiling to trade a few details to tame that brightness down. Hence the O2's.

Apr 19, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #131 of 166
CUSTOMCOCO- The  Vitalitywebb--PC-6--recliner in black- $1699 
                           Looks great and would probably feel the same when lying on it.-They also do refurb.

Apr 19, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #132 of 166
Quote:
This...Wow...No idea on price but these things are gorgeous.

EDIT: 12k. Nope.

i'm sorry i didn't buy one of those when they were much less expensive. the price has doubled in the last 7 years.  they have a budget version - only 7.5k. hah! the craz has some cool construction, which is documented in some of the reviews. titanium endoskeleton, etc. i've examined them upclose and the quality is impeccable.

i still think they make the best isolation stuff. my solution - got their budget bases for most of my gear, and also got some CES demo bases for other pieces of gear, at a great discount, and then it doesn't much matter what you put it on, whether it's a custom built rack by a local woodworker, or your regular living room furniture, or whatever. it sounds fantastic, imo, and comes out way cheaper than their racks. exception is the turntable. that should go on a vibraplane or something equivalent, with tons of mass.

Apr 19, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #133 of 166
I'm more in it for the aesthetics, honestly. They've given me quite an idea. Think I'm going to make a 36" Maple rack from 2x2 lumber with 4 points of contact per shelf. Think I'll use Herbie's feet to hold the shelves, which I'd like to do as 1.5" thick Marble or Granite (20x18, with a larger one on top).

It'd look similar to theirs, and I think be quite effective at vibration control.

Quote:
i'm sorry i didn't buy one of those when they were much less expensive. the price has doubled in the last 7 years.  they have a budget version - only 7.5k. hah! the craz has some cool construction, which is documented in some of the reviews. titanium endoskeleton, etc. i've examined them upclose and the quality is impeccable.

i still think they make the best isolation stuff. my solution - got their budget bases for most of my gear, and also got some CES demo bases for other pieces of gear, at a great discount, and then it doesn't much matter what you put it on, whether it's a custom built rack by a local woodworker, or your regular living room furniture, or whatever. it sounds fantastic, imo, and comes out way cheaper than their racks. exception is the turntable. that should go on a vibraplane or something equivalent, with tons of mass.

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #134 of 166
Quote:
I'm more in it for the aesthetics, honestly. They've given me quite an idea. Think I'm going to make a 36" Maple rack from 2x2 lumber with 4 points of contact per shelf. Think I'll use Herbie's feet to hold the shelves, which I'd like to do as 1.5" thick Marble or Granite (20x18, with a larger one on top).

It'd look similar to theirs, and I think be quite effective at vibration control.

if i could make a suggestion on the platforms - don't use marble or granite. neither sounds good. soapstone is a great choice, and is very close to the proprietary silent running platform on the their craz racks. may not look quite as cool as granite or marble, but guaranteed to sound way better. perhaps three points of contact per shelf rather than 4.

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #135 of 166
I could do 3 but it would be less sturdy, me thinks.

Might not happen at all if I can't find a place to cut some remnants for me.

I DON'T NEED A COUNTERTOP. I JUST WANT SOME SHELVES.

Quote:
if i could make a suggestion on the platforms - don't use marble or granite. neither sounds good. soapstone is a great choice, and is very close to the proprietary silent running platform on the their craz racks. may not look quite as cool as granite or marble, but guaranteed to sound way better. perhaps three points of contact per shelf rather than 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back