High End Racks
Jan 21, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #31 of 166
these racks are bigger rip offs than most headphone equipment. 

i mean, at $150 to $400, i thought headphone cables were a big scam.  now people are posting "racks", which are nothing more than shelves, and they cost 3 grand, 40 grand, etc.

come on people, build these things yourselves.  should not be paying that kind of money for shelving, even if it'll be used for high end equipment.

Jan 21, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #32 of 166
I made my Ikea rack for ~$50 and if you spend a but extra to fill the legs with expanding foam it's even nicer.

If you're not concerned about all the 'voodoo' that comes in audiophile racks and just want a good looking one that's what I'd recommend.

I went with the VTI. Dealer on ebay gave me a decent price =P.

Finding a custom made headphone rack is hard though (very few get the handband support right), and almost no real "racks" are made, only stands. Probably gonna have to get one custom made.

Jan 21, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #33 of 166
I went with the VTI. Dealer on ebay gave me a decent price =P.

Finding a custom made headphone rack is hard though (very few get the handband support right), and almost no real "racks" are made, only stands. Probably gonna have to get one custom made.

I have a VTI 404 and am trying to get it out of my house. I got over the way it looks quick.

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #34 of 166
Almost bought the vti racks, but they wernt big enough. My custom sized ones from timbernation arrive wednesday. Cant wait.

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #37 of 166
Quote:

i mean, at $150 to $400, i thought headphone cables were a big scam.  now people are posting "racks", which are nothing more than shelves, and they cost 3 grand, 40 grand, etc.

come on people, build these things yourselves.  should not be paying that kind of money for shelving, even if it'll be used for high end equipment.

Sadly but true. 

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #38 of 166

Agreed. Especially at this level. I almost **** myself when my dealer quoted me 3k for the Box Audio rack I want. 

No, really. Read what this guy says here.

http://www.timbernation.com/josh.cfm

Edit: I just read through it again, and my mind was blown. Again. Clearly, after hundreds of millions of withstanding natural disasters, natural selection and adaption has made wood the #1 absorber of micro vibrations from electricity.

Wait what did I just say? :confused_face_2:

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #39 of 166
I read it the first time. I'd be buying it for looks rather than 'improvements'. 

Which is why I'm contacting local wood workers and showing them the measurements that Box has on their website. :D

Quote:
No, really. Read what this guy says here.

http://www.timbernation.com/josh.cfm

Edit: I just read through it again, and my mind was blown. Again. Clearly, after hundreds of millions of withstanding natural disasters, natural selection and adaption has made wood the #1 absorber of micro vibrations from electricity.

Wait what did I just say?
confused_face_2.gif

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #40 of 166
Quote:

Meh, the cost is relative to those who have the money.  I'm a cheap-ass but a DIY solution is not something I envision in the future of my home, pretty sure the WAF would be pretty low on that one.

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #41 of 166
I read it the first time. I'd be buying it for looks rather than 'improvements'.

I also bought it for the looks along with needing special sizes that most racks cant meet. I had 3 units built with 2in thick tiger maple wood to match my tiger maple sandboxes.

Jan 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #42 of 166
I like this one.  They build it around your exact gear.

http://www.silentrunningaudio.com/products/scuttle.htm
http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/silent_running_audio_craz2.htm

http://www.silentrunningaudio.com/images/Scuttle_Closeup.jpg

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #43 of 166
I used to have SolidSteel racks from Italy(man........I am resisting huge making a comment here about Italian racks...).  Quite nice and not a bank breaker.

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #44 of 166
The waxy coating on a friend's Solid Steel racks is very very susceptible to damage. As a result each of the racks is pretty badly scratched up - a situation he's not happy about. I'm not sure if all their racks are made the same way, but that's something to watch out for.

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #45 of 166
I think they're powder coated.  Yes other racks would be better suited that are anodized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back