High-End IEM's for BIG ear canals??
Apr 12, 2009 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

gjg

Head-Fier
Hello All:
I'm looking for a top shelf IEM that works for BIG ear canals. I have some decent phones now - OK1's, X-10's, and ER-4P's - all good and have their place, but I want one killer pair. I have to use the "Gliders" (I think that's the term for the grey mushroom shaped ones) on the Ety's or the biggest single flange on the Klipsch to get a halfway decent seal. Standard Complys are WAY too small. I've tried the PFE's with the large Complys, and I still can't seem to get them in far enough to get a good seal without the body of the phone hitting the outside of my ear. Kinda like small railroad tunnels...

Anyway, before I drop $300 on a new pair, just wondering if anyone else has the same issues. Would really like the the IE-8's if they would work, and I need to know what tips would be best. I know the UE Triple Fi's don't work with small ears, so I assume they would work well with big ones. Not sure on the Westone 3's or Shure 530's.

SO - what would you folks recommend? Not looking to emphasize one sonic attribute over another - overall "Balance" is important. Not a bass freak, but need a decent amount. (the OK1's would be near perfect if they had more slam...) Listen to indie rock, classic rock, and jazz primarily, with quite a bit of female vocalists. Have an amp (P-51), so power is not critical. Suggestions?????
Thanks,
gg
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #2 of 22
Sounds like you may have even bigger ear canals than I do, as the PFEs with the included complys sealed well for me. I have a comply under a single flange silicon with my IE8 that works great for me, might be something that works for you also. As for which IEM, it seems like the IE8s and W3s have a harder time getting a good fit/seal/placement. The se530 also can improve from different tips, so it is just a matter of trying different tips. For example, the UE tips fit the IE8, and from what I have read are large.

My recommendation is get the IEM that has a sound signature that is your preference and spend some serious time working on the fit, plus probably buying additional tips if need be.

Apr 12, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #7 of 22
Yea, a custom tip with any high end IEM would probably be the ticket if you can't get any tips to give you a good seal, but are pricey. Or you could just go straight for the best custom out there (arguably?), the ES3X.

Apr 12, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #8 of 22
hmm according to his price range, music preferences and genres, maybe...livewires? im suggesting livewires based on what ive read so yea. i never owned them before. but they seem to be what ur looking for (i think) from what ive read.

Apr 12, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #9 of 22
Triple Fis would work well. Well probably most would work, just have to work out the tips. I'd say aim more for the sound sig... then make it happen.
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #12 of 22
Do consider mod'ing a pair of big Shure olive onto whatever IEM you eventually got (if you couldn't get a good seal with stock eartips). Those foam are really big which is a good thing in your case.

Apr 12, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #13 of 22
Hi gig,

Just as a thought, it sounds like your major consideration is the seal for your ear canals. So why don't you just take your favourite IEMs and put custom moulds on it? They should fit your ears perfectly, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back