High-end IEM vs High-end speakers
Dec 27, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #31 of 41
Speakers are still my choice. My speakers are cheap by most standards but with modifications sound wonderfull & the subwoofer only adds to that as with them I can play any kind of music & not feel shortchanged on the bass, even pipe organ music with bass as low as 16Hz. I have not heard any balanced armature IEMs that will do that convincingly yet. The dynamic type will but the usually sound muddy in the bass not tight like the balanced armatures.

Dec 27, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #32 of 41
To my ears and 'budget', IEMs are much better than speakers.
smily_headphones1.gif

1) Portability : I can enjoy a constant good SQ at anywhere and anytime without disturbing other peoples
smily_headphones1.gif
. One of my friend said, the UM Mages clarity is as good as Martin Logan's ESL.

2) Power efficiency : My 100mWx2 iBasso D10 driven UM Mages sound waaay better than my previous speaker systems; 10" woofer + fostex 5" full range + fostex ribbon tweeter + horn tweeter which were driven by 110x2W Class A power amp. Hey, I can enjoy good sound even there is a blackout.
smily_headphones1.gif

3) Simple setup : Minimum requirements to enjoy IEMs is to have DAP. No need to have dedicated audio room and 'SWEET SPOT'.

4) Cost/budget : Good SQ portables always cost less.

5) Accuracy : Actually, the sound from IEMs are much accurate because no 'in air mixing', where sound from both spekers are mixed and create 'virtual soundstage' In other other words sound from speakers system are NOT as 'PURE' as what was in the original source/media
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, it is up to you to judge and choose.

Thank you.

Dec 27, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #33 of 41
Apples to oranges comparissons, but you were asking in particular about the comparing headphones to the top end of speakers(wilsons, Genesis, Magnepan 20's,etc) and there really is no comparison. In all the measureable ways speakers win, freq range flatness etc. And true imaging and depth of field is something headphones will never pull off nearly as well as a properly set up pair of speakers with current recorded music technology. But, headphones are a very cheap and easy way to get something with very high resolution with little effort and money(compared to highend stereo setups).

Every once in awhile I am tempted to get something higher end than my HD650's and my small homemade tube amp, and then I listen to my computer speaker setup and realize that even the Orpheus setup's I've demoed don't come even close, let alone the full setup in the basement. For the record my computer setup is a full Infinity Modulus setup(Original system not the crap they have now. Emit tweeters, servo subwoofeer, etc). It's measured in room response is from 18-45k. So to each their own, but I personally can't see headphones replacing someones Wilson X-2's.

Dec 27, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #34 of 41
My twopennorth. ICE. I tried for years to get a decent sound at home but gave up as the room is hopeless and I only ever heard two systems that "blew me away" and they cost 10k+. I started trying to get half decent sound in my van. A challenge in a tin box! After an awful lot of effort, a knowledgeable mate and 4k, we have overshot the mark by some distance!
atsmile.gif

The van is now acoustically treated and with pretty sophisticated DSP, sounds as I wish my home set up could.
To be in a controlled, restricted environment with speakers moving air as they should is a joy.
A joy that I have yet to get from my portable rig, but I am on a mission.
very_evil_smiley.gif

So, IME. A high end portable rig is not going to hit my wallet as hard as a home set up but I doubt it will ever equal the van.

Dec 27, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #35 of 41
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...7/#post6264968

I asked this very question last month (Nov 24)

"Similar Sound to Von Schweikert Speakers
I'm wondering if anyone here has heard Von Schweikert Audio speakers and can recommend a similar sound in an IEM?

I'm using the LCR 15s and listen in 2 channel pure/source direct, they are very transparent with great clarity and clean tight base.

I also have Diamond Audio Hex component speakers (silk tweeters) in the car which Albert Von Schweikert says uses a similar driver.

So I want the closest I can get to this, I've been looking at different threads searching different brands and have about narrowed it down to the Shure SE530, but since sound is so subjective I'm thinking if any others who are familiar with Schweikert speakers may be able to point me to the same/similar sound.

Thanks "

and today Dec 27

"I got in on the UE Triple fi sale at Amazon & Logitech, and I must say I am very satisfied and am enjoying them tremendously.

Its quite nice to be able to not sacrifice a sound you've become accustomed to"

Dec 27, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #36 of 41
My budget only makes me dream of hi-end, speakers or IEM. But speaking generally, headphones and speakers are quite different way of listening to music. For me, headphones are the personal and intimate way. Having said that, there is no headphone that can make your entire body vibrate as speakers do...

Cheers
K.

Dec 27, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #37 of 41
Dream High, go listen to some high end speakers at a higher end shop, and then when your ready look on Audiogon for some used ones at nearly 1/2 of the original retail price.

People with high end speakers usually take good care of them, but life's challenges, divorce, layoff, etc. may be a good opportunity to get a good deal.

Dec 27, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #38 of 41
Is this for real? Speakers, duh. There are way more compromises made in designing IEMs than speakers.

IEMs would be my last choice for dedicated listening. On bus, or in a library, however, they are the obvious choice.

There are a number of fantastic speakers under $1300. Epos ELS-8's, Magnepan MMG's (planar), Axiom makes a few, av123.com has many designs. Of course you need a receiver or amp to power these, but that goes without saying.

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #39 of 41
They are just two different forms of listening to music. It's a lot more different than IEMs and Cans....but yea headphones and IEMs are going to be cheaper for quality than speakers... just because of the amount material mostly. (I guess).

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtzi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My budget only makes me dream of hi-end, speakers or IEM. But speaking generally, headphones and speakers are quite different way of listening to music. For me, headphones are the personal and intimate way. Having said that, there is no headphone that can make your entire body vibrate as speakers do...

Cheers
K.

Agreed
smily_headphones1.gif
. but, there are headphones and IEMs that can make me goose bumped, head bopping, hand moving and tears dropping joy
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway everything are based on personal preferences.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you.

Sep 6, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #41 of 41
Well, answer is simple

Ear likes to perceive acoustic signal from air without a sealed enclosure.

That's why concert sounds like a concert.

In room, it is still open to ear(in pressure zone ) but adds reverb etc...that's why room treatment and DSP is important.

But in IEM and headphone, change in acoustic pressure becomes dramatic which our ears are not used too...and neither the complete black background(some external mechanical reverb is needed).

So a speaker always outclass the iem in sense of space even though an IEM can be technically superior or can have better stage.

Its the sense of ours which is important and speaker keeps it within natural realm according to environment they are played in

Its a deep topic though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back