high-end IEM, is it worth it?
Mar 23, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #16 of 28
Terminology varies with people, so this is my variant of the word punchy.

Punchy: Imagine punches. The bass hits you when it is present in the music, not lingering for too long. It won't overwhelm the mid-range of the music and the general presentation.

When i use the word "feel", I'm using it in the context of overpowering bass. That means that there's a bass boost in the frequency response of the IEM. For the SE215, it has a relatively boost bass response when compared to the GR07 BE. Don't assume that the Bass edition is going to be a bass monster. It is called bass edition because in comparision to the Mark 2 version, it has a slightly elevated bass response.

Mar 23, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #19 of 28
  Terminology varies with people, so this is my variant of the word punchy.

Punchy: Imagine punches. The bass hits you when it is present in the music, not lingering for too long. It won't overwhelm the mid-range of the music and the general presentation.

When i use the word "feel", I'm using it in the context of overpowering bass. That means that there's a bass boost in the frequency response of the IEM. For the SE215, it has a relatively boost bass response when compared to the GR07 BE. Don't assume that the Bass edition is going to be a bass monster. It is called bass edition because in comparision to the Mark 2 version, it has a slightly elevated bass response.

Thanks, Artem. This is quite helpful. So if I understand your definition correctly, the punchy one gives you a nice strong bass when present in the music, but not a constant 'rumbling'? If so, that is definitely more desirable.

Mar 23, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #21 of 28
So based on all your guys' help, it looks like my best choices are as follows:

1) Vsonic gr07mkII bass edition
2) Shure SE215

Vsonic are considerably more expensive, but apparently more solid when it comes to nice punchy base.

Could I get a few more people's thoughts in terms of COMFORT of the two when wearing them to go to sleep?

Mar 23, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #24 of 28

wow, that is crazy.

That is, of course, if you believe in burn-in. But with casual use, you'll start to notice a difference over time anyway. You could leave the IEMs sitting on a desk or something playing a bunch of different tracks if you think burn-in will make a difference. Otherwise, I would just use them normally. Even if you think burn-in is a thing, I'd just play them normally so that you can decide if you like the sound to begin with or over time.

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #25 of 28
Here's a GR07 Vs SE215 comparison from a forumer here who has both:

From: http://www.head-fi.org/t/630585/vsonic-gr07-bass-edition-impressions/1815#post_10052250
  1. metabaron

I have both and the Shure don't even come close. The SE 215 are good for what they are, fun headphones for people that want a warm, not critical listening. They are outclassed by the V Sonics on pretty much everything, is not even a contest. In fact, they are not the best in their price bracket, and in fact even headphones that are cheaper, like the Dunu's Landmine, are better. Of course, personal preference plays a huge part in our selection, and you might prefer the Shure's sound signature. So they are not better but you might end up enjoying them more.

Mar 31, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #26 of 28
I went ahead and purchased the Vsonic GR06 - because they were available and much cheaper than the GR07 :)

Love the sound and comfort of them. I can really lay down on a pillow on the side of my head, and none of that sharp pain I experienced with my old Klippsch. What I'm having big issues with, however, is the cable behind the hear thing. I don't want to put on the holders that came with them, but without them one cable keeps slipping over the ear, which is a huge pain. Feels like I'm constantly readjusting.

When looking at the Shure SE215, they seem to have the same mechanism. Do you guys have any recommendations? I want the comfort and sound quality of the Vsonic, but none of this weird cable-behind-the-ear business :)

Mar 31, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #27 of 28
Why don't you check this thread,

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-111-portable-headphones-reviewed-creative-aurvana-live-2-added-02-25-14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back