High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Nov 25, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #3,886 of 4,186
That is the reason why the portable cable word is messy like that. All prioritize other aspects more than the core value of a cable: the quality of the conductor.
I have experience in Nordost, Siltech, Crystal Cable, Shunyata, WireWorld, ... and my journey come to the conclusion that the quality of the cable is the first thing has to achieve.

You will be shocked as, despite a silly-looking thin appearance, it provides the ultimate ability to resolve detail and timber/harmonics structure at the level that other heavy AWG of other brands cannot achieve.

You can debate on monocrystal can sound normal but.

Listen to Dream Duet or Siltech Duchess Crown, it is totally different.

For your debate, I think and firmly believe that, Crystal do at their best to choose : combination of diameters, choice of sleeves, selection of jacks and 2 pin connectors, type of solder.

I have made a cable for IEM from Nordost Odin2 interconnect cable, it is different stories then.
Have not listened to crystals, so i cant comment on it. I have respect for manufacturers who produces their conductors and dont use oem cables.

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #3,887 of 4,186
Have not listened to crystals, so i cant comment on it. I have respect for manufacturers who produces their conductors and dont use oem cables.
Yes. They are few cable brand that control the qualites from producing their own conductor.

If you have chance to listen, i'm sure about the supprising.

Nov 26, 2020 at 12:05 AM Post #3,888 of 4,186
Yes. They are few cable brand that control the qualites from producing their own conductor.

If you have chance to listen, i'm sure about the supprising.
agreed, crystal cable is one of the few existing iem cable manufacturer who makes/produce its material. a real premium hifi cable factory.

Nov 26, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #3,889 of 4,186
the owner is a alchemist, specialize in silver

Nov 29, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #3,890 of 4,186
Hey, everyone. I just published my review of PW Audio's Monile over on THL. It's a great cable if you wanna inject some presence, musicality and bite to your IEMs, as long as you don't mind a more intimate soundstage. Plus, the cable's currently a part of MusicTeck's Black Friday Sale. So, if it does sound like the cable for you, then now's as good a time as any to give it a go. As always, I hope you enjoy. Cheers! :)

PW Audio Monile: Colour Me Bold - An In-Ear Monitor Review

PW-Monile-5-(S).jpg

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #3,891 of 4,186
Zephone impression:

I got in contact with Zephone over 8 years ago when I wanted to buy a case for my Etymotics ER4S. That was many years ago. Thanks to the age of online networking, I managed to get in contact with Zephone again. I wanted to buy their Silver cable, anyway one thing led to another and now I have the following cables to review.

For the record, I don't buy any of them, I didn't ask for all this to be sent. I think they must have come across my emails from many years ago and felt bad for me and decided to let me test this.

I basically want a cable to pair with my simphobio VR1.

Testing begins :)

20201130_191312.jpg

Dec 21, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #3,892 of 4,186
anyone here has experience with both palladium plated silver cable and OCC silver cable? i have the option to get either a pps one, an occ one, or a mix of half n half.

looking mainly for soundstage and technicalities.

Dec 21, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #3,893 of 4,186
anyone here has experience with both palladium plated silver cable and OCC silver cable? i have the option to get either a pps one, an occ one, or a mix of half n half.

looking mainly for soundstage and technicalities.
My advice, don't mix.
Going for one material, if 2 cable with different material go parallel, there might be Reverberation Effect due to different speed of electron propagation.
Then you should compare with cable from OCC Silver or palladium plated silver

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #3,894 of 4,186
My advice, don't mix.
Going for one material, if 2 cable with different material go parallel, there might be Reverberation Effect due to different speed of electron propagation.
Then you should compare with cable from OCC Silver or palladium plated silver
i didnt know exactly if this is fully from crystal cable decision, but crystal cable do have different material in one cable, the one i mentioned was in collaboration with Astell kern, silver-gold alloy then use silver plated copper as shield.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #3,895 of 4,186
i didnt know exactly if this is fully from crystal cable decision, but crystal cable do have different material in one cable, the one i mentioned was in collaboration with Astell kern, silver-gold alloy then use silver plated copper as shield.
The shield is for passive EMI shielding, it does not transfer the signal.
AK collaboration cable uses silver-gold alloy, same as duet series.

Dec 23, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #3,896 of 4,186
The shield is for passive EMI shielding, it does not transfer the signal.
AK collaboration cable uses silver-gold alloy, same as duet series.
This is where i actually not getting clear about, so, if shield is onlt just shielding, it doesnt affect the sound even tho with different matterials? n i curious if coaxial has different configuration to shielding, then what does both affect compared to those cables that doesnt use shield n coaxial configiration.

Dec 26, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #3,897 of 4,186
Reverberation Effect due to different speed of electron propagation
I think you're referring to 'group delay' of different frequencies. This is what I believe is responsible for cables sounding different even if their measured FR and impedance is the same.

This is where i actually not getting clear about, so, if shield is onlt just shielding, it doesnt affect the sound even tho with different matterials? n i curious if coaxial has different configuration to shielding, then what does both affect compared to those cables that doesnt use shield n coaxial configiration.

I would guess that shielding simply blocks more RF. Remember that cables are essentially antennae that can pick up high frequency waves in the air. Of course these waves are inaudible on their own, but may affect the quality of transmission for lower frequencies.

Dec 26, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #3,899 of 4,186
Of course it affect the sound, by introduce more inductance or capacitance ( I'm not sure). As you can see, mostly, all hiend speaker cable does not shileded.
For coxial application, shielding is compulsory.
You can do coxial with/without shield and test :)

Dec 27, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #3,900 of 4,186
For those who are interested, here is my detailed review of PWAudio Monile series pure copper/silver cables. I covered all 4 versions in my write up here.

pwa-monile-08.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back