High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Dec 16, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #3,392 of 4,193
Amazing-looking cable! Nice photos!

But dude...single-ended?!?! :)
I know, I get that a lot

I much much prefer the single ended sound - balanced sounds too energetic to me, somewhat warm. Single ended just feels much better to me and I tend to use my iems with the RME ADI 2 a lot, which doesn’t have 2.5

Team 3.5 leggo!!

Dec 17, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #3,393 of 4,193
Has anyone matched the EA Leonidas II with the 64 Audio tia Trio? If you have what are your thoughts on this combination?

Dec 18, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #3,394 of 4,193
for the Khan(which I have no experience with) really any gold plated silver cable would do I think, but a thicker gold coating will provide more warmth and body by increasing decay length of transients. I've tried the OC AuX which has a huge subbass.

for the Trio(which I also have no experience with), choose a pure silver cable, though maybe not the Thor series. Agni Mk ii and Effect Audio Cleopatra are good choices. Cleo is the more transparent of the two though both will be unforgiving to a lot of music.

You seem to have experience with both the Thor II and the Han Sound Agni II and I'd like to know your thoughts on both.

I'm currently using the Thor II with the Legend X and Sony NW-ZX300 and the sound is a tiny bit too warm for my liking, and I'm looking to get a little more treble out of my cable but without losing too much bass. I find the Thor II to have a little bit of graininess as well which I don't like either. For comparison, I find the bass on the Ares II lacking.

Dec 19, 2019 at 12:15 AM Post #3,396 of 4,193
You seem to have experience with both the Thor II and the Han Sound Agni II and I'd like to know your thoughts on both.

I'm currently using the Thor II with the Legend X and Sony NW-ZX300 and the sound is a tiny bit too warm for my liking, and I'm looking to get a little more treble out of my cable but without losing too much bass. I find the Thor II to have a little bit of graininess as well which I don't like either. For comparison, I find the bass on the Ares II lacking.
The day I tried the Thor II, my ears weren't in their best condition but I remember the Agni ii being grainier and thinner. The Agni ii I'd describe as neutral with a little bit of that etched feeling. Transients and attack are fast with very little decay. It brings out timbral detail in particular, and is quite close to the Cleopatra in timbral presentation though the Cleo is more V shaped and has shorter subbass decay. The Thor ii wasn't too drastic a change iirc, but I tried it right off the heals of the amazing crystal cable dream duet

Something about the Agni ii, it feels like you lose bass decay but what you loose, you gain in the attack. Agni ii's bass hits harder than other cables, especially in the subbass regions. After getting used to the Agni, other cables seem light on bass, even if they have more decay

Another thing cause I'm bored, I am the god of gold cables but gold cables actually have a major flaw with resolution imo. Aside from the really really high end cables like horus, all gold plated cables have sounded veiled in comparison to pure silver cables. Part of it might be because gold is the worst conductor among gold, copper, and silver, and performance varies a lot based on the thickness of the gold plating.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 12:42 AM Post #3,397 of 4,193
The day I tried the Thor II, my ears weren't in their best condition but I remember the Agni ii being grainier and thinner. The Agni ii I'd describe as neutral with a little bit of that etched feeling. Transients and attack are fast with very little decay. It brings out timbral detail in particular, and is quite close to the Cleopatra in timbral presentation though the Cleo is more V shaped and has shorter subbass decay. The Thor ii wasn't too drastic a change iirc, but I tried it right off the heals of the amazing crystal cable dream duet

Something about the Agni ii, it feels like you lose bass decay but what you loose, you gain in the attack. Agni ii's bass hits harder than other cables, especially in the subbass regions. After getting used to the Agni, other cables seem light on bass, even if they have more decay

Another thing cause I'm bored, I am the god of gold cables but gold cables actually have a major flaw with resolution imo. Aside from the really really high end cables like horus, all gold plated cables have sounded veiled in comparison to pure silver cables. Part of it might be because gold is the worst conductor among gold, copper, and silver, and performance varies a lot based on the thickness of the gold plating.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I think I'll give the Agni II a try and see how I like it.

Dec 19, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #3,399 of 4,193
I know, I get that a lot

I much much prefer the single ended sound - balanced sounds too energetic to me, somewhat warm. Single ended just feels much better to me and I tend to use my iems with the RME ADI 2 a lot, which doesn’t have 2.5

Team 3.5 leggo!!
I've actually had a friend say balanced sounds crossfed and narrower. maybe you're onto something

Dec 19, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #3,400 of 4,193
The new Vogue series have amazing sub bass and bass but the treble and midrange are not bad at all. My Spartan didn’t get any or little bass with Ares II and Eros II (all 8 wire) but the Maestro adds good bass to them. Love it!
I currently have the Maestro on my K10U, and concur. The bass is killer, but what surprised me is the air, separation and imaging are awesome as well. However, I have a Satin Audio Athena on the way, so the Maestro might get replaced. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 5:55 AM Post #3,401 of 4,193
I've actually had a friend say balanced sounds crossfed and narrower. maybe you're onto something
Exactly - less separation, more intensity but ultimately a less “refined” experience

Dec 19, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #3,402 of 4,193

look into the plussound X8 which pinkypowers did a review on against the Thor silver II 8 wire and actually preferred in most aspects, including dynamic, air, soundstage and bass with the Legend x

Dec 19, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #3,403 of 4,193
Exactly - less separation, more intensity but ultimately a less “refined” experience
Interesting stuff! In the full sized cans world, where I used to hang out, balanced is the way to go. However, I have only been using 3.5 since I got into iems, and have no complaints.

Dec 19, 2019 at 7:03 AM Post #3,404 of 4,193
Interesting stuff! In the full sized cans world, where I used to hang out, balanced is the way to go. However, I have only been using 3.5 since I got into iems, and have no complaints.
I’d say power plays much more of a role with HPs than IEMs, especially consider how low the power requirements of BAs are

Dec 19, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #3,405 of 4,193
I’d say power plays much more of a role with HPs than IEMs, especially consider how low the power requirements of BAs are
That makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back