High end headphones for Hugo
Sep 13, 2014 at 10:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

audiokid

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for another set of headphones to go with my Chord Hugo. My main desk system is a Stax 507/323s combo, which I like very much.

I have owned a few different headphones so far, but haven't hit the sweet spot yet.

Audeze LCD X were a bit too foggy and dark, and were also too heavy and uncomfortable. They were like head clamps!
Grado GS1000i were too bright sounding, but were very light and reasonably comfy.
My current Grado RS1i are quite good, although a little on the bright side. I could stick with these, but I'm thinking the Hugo isn't fully revealed?

What would you recommend? I'm tempted to try HD800, although prefer the classic and purposeful looks of the Grado, Stax and Audeze.

Are there any other high end options for the Hugo, or would you just go for HD800?

Thanks

Sep 13, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #3 of 8
i Had the same dilemma a few weeks ago. :) end up picking the HD800 for the hugo. 
I also purchased a black dragon cable v2 from moon audio to reduce brightness and give the 800's more bass.
I still prefer my hugo with the hd800 than my wa7d/tp.

:)

Sep 13, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #5 of 8
Also, just been looking at the Alessandro MS Pro versions of the Rs1 which apparently give a smoother, more spacious sound. Also, easier on the treble.

Might look into those, as well as HD800.

Sounds like the new Rs1e are too uncomfortable die to the driver being right on the ears.

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #6 of 8
Decided to have a demo of huge HD800 on my day off, and took my Hugo along.

First impressions were - wow! Space, detail, textures, depth, deep bass. I had better first impressions than I did with the Stax 009 system I borrowed last week. Absolutely love them, and they're so comfortable and light, not to mention portable around the house with the Hugo.

I didn't take long to make up my mind, I bought them on the spot. I still love my Stax 507 / 323s combo for the desk, but the HD800s are amazing. Very happy indeed!

Sep 17, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 8
Tried 'em all and by far the best is the Fostex 900. Has Grado fun factor, but better bass and none of the brightness...perfect for Hugo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back