High end headphones dilemma (Beyer T1, Denon, Sennheiser HD800)
Apr 27, 2013 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sgpetrie

New Head-Fier
I am new to this forum and hope I am posting correctly. I notice there are a few tempting deals around on Denon AH-D7000 and 7100 headphones and there a couple of used pairs of Beyerdynamic T1 around too, all around the £500 mark.
In the past, I have owned Stax Lamba Nova Signature system, Stax SR007 system, Grado GS1000 and Sennheiser HD800.  These were mainly run through a Naim Headline with HiCap as I had a Naim system at the time.
As well as hi-fi, I do some home recording and have a large collection of keyboards and outboard gear running through a Soundcraft Ghost mixing desk.
I changed my Naim system and have now ended up with a Classe CP800 preamp (with various recording sources and a Naim CD555 and Linn LP12SE) I sold my headphones to help fund buying other items but am tempted to buy another pair, given the ones I have seen around £500. I don't really use headphones much these days, but they could be handy for an alternative listen to some of my CDs/LPs and also for checking mixes on in my studio
At the moment, I still have a pair of Sennheiser HD650 with Kimber cable and a pair of HD600 which I really like. Surprisingly, I was never over impressed with any of the other higher end headphones that I owned (Stax, GS1000, HD800) However, I have never tried the Denon headphones which my hi-fi dealer tells me a couple of his friends were really impressed with, and am curious with the T1.
Question is, does anyone have experience with these headphones in comparison to the aforementioned models.
Also, has anyone used the headphone output of the Classe CP800 to drive them or will I need to look at a headphone amp too (which will begin to make it difficult to justify the cost) The HD650 work very nicely with the Classe and my dealer did say the Classe has a very good headphone output. Presumably if I went for the Beyers, I would be best to look for a A1 headphone amp?
When using them in my studio, I would just be looking to plug them straight into my mixing desk headphone out, or my Fostex PH50 headphone amp 5 way distributor.

So, after all that background, is it worth me considering purchasing a pair of Denon 7000 / 7100 (there seems to be a fair amount of opinion that the 7000 is actually better than the 7100 - any thoughts on this?) A new set of 7100 over here can be bought for £449 which seems a lot more reasonable than the £1000 RRP or should I consider the Beyer T1 at £500 used? Any thoughts much appreciated as I have lost track of headphones over the last year or so.
Thanks

Apr 29, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #3 of 16
The Denons can be very enjoyable, but the bass is probably a little bit much for studio use. The T1, on the other hand, should be very good for that.

I'm not so sure about the A1. T1 + A1 can sound a little bit on the bright side. Violectric amps could be a very solid alternative.

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #4 of 16
The Denons are not really designed for serious studio use because of their V-shaped sound signature. T1 and HD800 are way overkill for that purpose, but if you aboslutely have to go with one of them I would recommend the T1.

Other alternatives are the AKG K6xx-7xx line and the open-backed Shures (SRH1440-1840).  

Apr 29, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 16
I highly recommend audeze LCD-2 for op. if you are not impressed with stax, gs1000 and hd800. The chance is you will be disappointed with t1 as well.

Since you are still keeping hd650, it's the sound signature you like, and LCD-2 is arguably better hd650.

Apr 29, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 16
Many thanks for these replies and interesting re the Audeze which I will need to look into also.
you can also check out the beyerdynamic dt1350 which can be running out of the studio amplifier

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Apr 29, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #9 of 16
I didn't like the Denons, haven't heard the T1.

The LCD-6 might be worth looking into or for a darker, smoother sound, the LCD-3

Apr 29, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #10 of 16
Owned:
HD-800
ATH-W5000
LCD-2.2
T1 / D5K (MarkL modded with angle pads)

My rating would be in the order listed.
T1 and D5K are about the same level to my ears with slight preference to D5K.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #11 of 16
D7k gives a deep BIG HALL presentation...
am listening to Yoyo Ma playing Ennio Morricone now,
swirling cellos, violins...from haunting eventide music to grandiose finales...v entrancing can.

Switching over to a warm sweltering ONE NIGHT ONLY....
on stage and the sound panning out to the crowd....Massachusetts, so beautiful.

Apr 30, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
I didn't like the Denons, haven't heard the T1.

The LCD-6 might be worth looking into or for a darker, smoother sound, the LCD-3

There's an LCD-6 out?
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back