High-end External Sound? (for use with a DAC)
Jan 19, 2004 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

davidmiya

500+ Head-Fier
I'm going to be going off to college next year and won't be able to lug around my tower computer. I was seriously thinking of getting an RME Digi PAD, but decided against it because it'd be a waste to buy it for a few months of use.

I suppose my only option is to get an external soundcard which I will be able to plug into my laptop. However I'm looking for the best coax or optical out I can find because I plan to use this with my Bel Canto DAC2. I know that it might be a bit overkill...but hey, when you can't drag along a big CD-changer, this is the next best thing
smily_headphones1.gif

Any ideas?

Jan 19, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #2 of 14
If I knew I was going to use a laptop, I would've just gotten an Apogee MiniDAC ~900 instead of DAC2 + a soundcard.

You can still stick with RME solution. PCMCIA HDSP + Digiface is about ~750.
biggrin.gif

There's not many USB and Firewire solutions. There's a new Firewire Audiophile out, $300.

Look at your options depending on what interface you want:
http://audiomidi.com/hardware/index.cfm

Jan 19, 2004 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 14
I thought about the Apogee MiniDAC when I was in the market . . . but, heard people were having problems with them shorting-out.

Personally, I'm very happy with the digital in/out of my Edirol UA-5; it is 24 bit / 96 kHz and works great with my Benchmark DAC1. Since you don't need digital-in, there look to be other solutions on that list which aren't as costly and still give 24 bit / 96 kHz (the limit of USB 1.1).

Jan 19, 2004 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 14
Don't a lot (or at least some) of newer laptops with DVD players also have a coax digital-out? I always thought it would be cool to hook up an external DAC to one of those. A Sostenuto PDAC, Benchmark DAC1, or Grace 901 with DAC and amps built-in, would be perfect mates with such a laptop. I don't know what the sound would be like, but you wouldn't need another external box or extra PCMCIA card. Worth a try?

Jan 19, 2004 at 3:32 PM Post #5 of 14
If you use *digital* out and connect to a good external DAC, the cheapest available soundcard (internal or external) that doesn't resample should do the job as well as the most expensive one.

Jan 19, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by tigre
If you use *digital* out and connect to a good external DAC, the cheapest available soundcard (internal or external) that doesn't resample should do the job as well as the most expensive one.

So basically getting a RME card does not yield any improvements in sound quality at all?
Hmmmmmmmmm well basically I screwed the pooch on this thing then since I just ordered myself one today, on-line.
At least I get good recording quality and the cards are built to last as well.

I do have one escape, since I have not paid as of yet, infact I still have to receive the bill from the store in germany.....

Tigre, would you suggest getting a revo instead? The thing that got me interested in the RME was the very low jitter and all the raves it got here.
I tried buying one on ebay but got outbid on 276 euro for a used card (the card is 299 new!!!!), so I guess they must be a little bit popular right now.....
blink.gif

Jan 19, 2004 at 4:29 PM Post #7 of 14
It all depends if your DAC is sensitive to the transport jitter. The RME's digital out is much better than those of cheaper cards.

Jan 19, 2004 at 4:33 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

It all depends if your DAC is sensitive to the transport jitter.

See: Benchmark DAC1
wink.gif

Laptop->Coax cable->Benchmark DAC1->your headphones

Simplicity.

Jan 19, 2004 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 14
Yeah that DAC isn't supposed to have that issue and it could certainly be a contender. I don't like the sound out of Benchmark DAC1 or Grace 901 (just personal preference). I also rather have optical connection to a computer than coax.

Jan 19, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Tigre, would you suggest getting a revo instead? The thing that got me interested in the RME was the very low jitter and all the raves it got here.

It depends on the DAC you use. If it's sensitive to input jitter, the lower the soundcard's jitter, the better (theoretically). A DAC with a clock independant from input should give the same results with any card (e.g. Revo). I can't tell how your DAC handles input jitter. Here's some deeper information about the topic.

If you have both cards (RME + Revo) you could probably do some tests using RMAA (given that a good enough ADC is available) to find out if there's a difference.

Jan 19, 2004 at 7:13 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by tigre
It depends on the DAC you use. If it's sensitive to input jitter, the lower the soundcard's jitter, the better (theoretically). A DAC with a clock independant from input should give the same results with any card (e.g. Revo). I can't tell how your DAC handles input jitter. Here's some deeper information about the topic.

If you have both cards (RME + Revo) you could probably do some tests using RMAA (given that a good enough ADC is available) to find out if there's a difference.

I think the superdac is slaved to the source clock but I could be wrong.
But since the superdac will be replaced soon anyway I am not basing a future purchase on that.
Either way I get to play with the RME because I could not resist responding on the invoice I got just before you made your reply.
I decided to pay it, so I should have the RME PAD in a week or so.
Maybe the analogue out of the card is enough to beat the superdac and takes away the urge for another dac, although I doubt it.

Jan 19, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 14
i am also planning to integrate a quality pc jukebox with my hifi. i will use a (silent, comfortable and clean) notebook, store the quality files in external hds, and use some kind of usb gadget to extract a digital signal. then i will use a monarchy dip + msb nelson dac.
so, most parts are planned but that 'external gadget', still looking for it.
i don´t need that tool to have one thosand features, i just need to get the digital signal as clean as possible. usb is a must as i will use a notebook (also some emi noise will be avoided this way)

until now, two candidates are

edirol (owned by roland) ua 1d
http://www.edirol.com/products/info/ua1d.html

and xitel pro hifi link
http://www.xitel.com/product_phfl.htm

my 2 cents

Jan 20, 2004 at 10:20 PM Post #13 of 14
Just to keep this thread alive and kicking I will add my own questions.

Jpelg-
you speak of hooking the laptop up directly to the dac1. That would only work for cd audio correct? If I wanted to play mp3/flac/etc files I would still need to buy a sound card, right?

ryoanji-
why those two cards over the audiophile usb/firewire from m-audio? I like the hi-fi link from xtel but I have a mac powerbook, and it doesn't seem to be supported.

Jan 24, 2004 at 12:37 AM Post #14 of 14
I am not familier with digital output from a soundcard or laptop. But I do know that transport makes huge difference in stereo system. At very beginning, I assume a cheap and crappy DVD player will do the same job as hight end transport from manufacturers like Theta that costs $5000. I just bought a very old Theta transport which cost $2800 10 years ago and yes, it does dound better. Sound more musical, with more liquid. Bass extends to even lower and rich.

I don't want to discuss into details, but I want to tell you guys don't assume digital outs are all same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back