High end equalizer with HD600
Apr 10, 2002 at 12:53 PM Post #31 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs
If you are willing to shell out $300+ for a digital EQ, why not put at least $100-200 on a budget amp?

A Porta Corda biased for Class A operation and powered by a quality PSU can come really close to the big Corda
wink.gif

I am trying to move upwards, not sideways.....LOL (taking cover)

But an EQ, a digital one, I hope to find, will maybe store settings for a CD or even a track on a CD. This can help eleminate multiple headphones connected to different amplifiers/cables and different chairs to go with it.
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2002 at 12:57 PM Post #32 of 60
Wow, this thing really exploded overnight!

Let's see:

KR, the little brown guy is known in scientific circles as a Domo-Kun. As far as I know he is the star of some children's programming in Japan. Check out the links on this page:
smily_headphones1.gif
http://drew.corrupt.net/domo.html It's a good laugh.

kwkarth, I have also used the Behringer you list and find that it's a fantastic processor for the money...if you ever get a chance you should try out the BSS varicurve and omnidrive for DSP and EQ: considerably more money but IMHO worth every penny. Personally, I am still a KlarkTechnik DN360 man for live sound...some people never change
rolleyes.gif
I fully agree, though, you should be able to pick up a unit like the Behringer for cheap and just by goofing and listening you can learn a great deal. Just be careful of extreme boosts, at high volumes it can....
eek.gif

Driftwood, that's interesting about the feedback destroyer pro. I have really never been one to mix pro audio and hi-fi gear, but I would really like to see someone's setup that uses it.

lizard, I would recommend getting a decent headphone amp before you start tweaking. That's what I would do, then if you are not satisfied you can try something else.

Sorry I didn't answer last night...it was late here and I needed sleep. --Peace

Apr 10, 2002 at 1:09 PM Post #33 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by BeeEss
lizard, I would recommend getting a decent headphone amp before you start tweaking. That's what I would do, then if you are not satisfied you can try something else.

The curiosity of an EQ is more than enough for me to ignore an amp. The joy, the pain, the madness that can come with it, a totally different path. An amp to me is a dead end. Names like Klark Technik, bring back fond memories.
tongue.gif

Apr 10, 2002 at 1:33 PM Post #34 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Lizard

I am trying to move upwards, not sideways.....LOL (taking cover)

*Fire sniper bullets at Lizard*

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 10, 2002 at 2:34 PM Post #35 of 60
Despite Joe's frivolous experience with EQ, I still think it's not meant for hi-fi. The way I see it, all that should be taken care of in the recording, not the playback. With PA systems, you need adjusting for echo and what not, but but headphones? Please, I'd rather put the money towards a better amp, much better improvement I'd say. Besides, if the recording is bad, I want to hear it as is...

Apr 10, 2002 at 7:59 PM Post #36 of 60
I am using a simple Pioneer 7-bands equalizer with my hd-600. I think hd-600 is too bright. I turn down 2.4KHz band 6 dB, 6KHz 6dB and 15KHz 3dB. Now i can even listen to Destinys child. Before i got the EQ i couldn't stand most of the new pop CDs. Voices was loud and hard. Now my hd-600 sounds like everyone describes them.

Apr 10, 2002 at 8:19 PM Post #38 of 60
I use a z-systems RDP-1 digital parametric equalizer with my HD600's. I usually apply a small boost somewhere in the 1-5kHz range, which I find makes violins sound less "thin" than they usually do on the HD600's. I think a good digital EQ can do wonders for the 600's. It also lets me fix a lot of recordings that would be virtually unlistenable otherwise.

Apr 10, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #39 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by RBD
I use a z-systems RDP-1 digital parametric equalizer with my HD600's. I usually apply a small boost somewhere in the 1-5kHz range, which I find makes violins sound less "thin" than they usually do on the HD600's. I think a good digital EQ can do wonders for the 600's. It also lets me fix a lot of recordings that would be virtually unlistenable otherwise.

Kind of expensive, did you consider other makes and model before deciding on this. Getting rid of bad recorded ones are a waste of time and money but it does save space.
frown.gif

Apr 10, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #40 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by BeeEss
Wow, this thing really exploded overnight!

Let's see:

KR, the little brown guy is known in scientific circles as a Domo-Kun. As far as I know he is the star of some children's programming in Japan. Check out the links on this page:
smily_headphones1.gif
http://drew.corrupt.net/domo.html It's a good laugh.

Cool!

I saw this on-line a few months back, and I always wanted to know

kitten%20kill.jpg

Apr 11, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #41 of 60
Lizard: I got my RDP-1 used on Audiogon for $2K. They seem to be routinely available for around that price or less nowdays. At the time I got it (about two and a half years ago) I was unaware of any real competition for it. There are now sub-$1K competitors, but as far as I know they don't have a remote control. Having a remote makes it a lot easier to experiment with different EQ settings and find the "right" one.

Apr 11, 2002 at 8:18 AM Post #42 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by RBD
Lizard: I got my RDP-1 used on Audiogon for $2K. They seem to be routinely available for around that price or less nowdays. At the time I got it (about two and a half years ago) I was unaware of any real competition for it. There are now sub-$1K competitors, but as far as I know they don't have a remote control. Having a remote makes it a lot easier to experiment with different EQ settings and find the "right" one.

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

Apr 11, 2002 at 12:54 PM Post #43 of 60
I use an 8024 at home on my Cyrus setup (3xSmartPower, preamp and CD7) all feeding a pair of MonitorAudio Gold Reference 60 speakers all cabled with QED SilverSpiral Interconnects.

I must say, I'm impressed with the 8024. I fed the CD7's S/PDIF output with a home made cable into the 8024 and out using a pair of CopperTech Alpha interconnects into the preamp. I set the audio out of the UC to -7db to match the level of the CD7 and A/B switched between them. I could tell virtually no difference between the CD7 DAC and the 8024 DAC, which is impressive. AutoQ'ing the room works to some extent but to get it spot on requires the use of ETF to ensure the AutoQ hasn't misread - I prefer to double check.

The results are astounding as once you rid the room of the accoustic problems the sound takes on new qualities - Much more than swapping cables and moving speakers, adding traps, etc.

8024 is well worth the money. Some have quoted the audio quality is lacking, but driven with digital input and analogue output the problems with the +4dBU line level is non-existant.

As a side note, you may be able to buy the UltraDyne 9024 which looks like the same Hardware, is considerably cheaper, and can be converted to an 8024 by downloading an burning an EPROM!

Apr 12, 2002 at 12:26 PM Post #44 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by NoDigital
The results are astounding as once you rid the room of the accoustic problems the sound takes on new qualities - Much more than swapping cables and moving speakers, adding traps, etc.
As a side note, you may be able to buy the UltraDyne 9024 which looks like the same Hardware, is considerably cheaper, and can be converted to an 8024 by downloading an burning an EPROM!

Surgeon general warning: Room acoustics can severely affect your level of listening.
biggrin.gif
The eprom upgrade is a good idea.

Apr 13, 2002 at 6:45 AM Post #45 of 60
Hey, Mike, WRT your description of 10-20 band equalizers...what about 3-band equalizers? You know, like one that only has a high and low (and you can sort of manipulate the middle one by inference)?

I recently purchased something from Musical Fidelity called the X-TONE (PDF manual here, if you're curious). It has four controls -- you pick the band of each of two bands (low is 30, 60, 120 Hz; high is 5, 10, 15 kHz), then a +/- level control for each.

Certainly you have to agree that many of contemporary pop recordings are too bright, or too boomy. Wouldn't a high-quality, coarse, wide-bandwidth adjuster like this be useful on a per-recording basis?

For example, a lot of the contemporary dance-oriented pop music have boosted bass, what if I just turned down the bass?

Or Metallica's ...And Justice For All is notoriously thin -- with no remaster in sight, why wouldn't I want to boost the bass and trim the treble a little bit?

I think maybe at these levels it wouldn't be bad, perhaps this is what Lizard had in mind?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back