'High End' Earspeakers
May 14, 2011 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

chris 007

New Head-Fier

I'm looking for some advice here on high end ear speakers from those of you who have had genuine experience.

Due to my home environment I am finding myself spending more and more time listening to my ear speaker set up, and am now in a position to takem it to the next level
happy_face1.gif

I have experienced many ear speakers over the years and my main set up now is now lossless files through Foobar via Laptop, through HRT Music Streaner ii+ through my Burson HA160 listening through My AKG K702s.

I'm finding this combination very good, although for the AKG's to really come alive it has taken a year for them to full open up.

It seems to be very difficult to find suppliers locally where high end listening options are available and so I will probably be purchasing blind. To give you some idea i do like the sound of the AKG's. My music tastes vary from Jazz, folk, acoustics, vocals and rock. Detailed pieces in particular.

For the last few months I've been reading various articles and reviews on the HD800's, T1's, Audeze's and Stax. If I keep the Burson I have around a grand to spend. If I move across to elecrostatic's I'll sell my Burson and AKG's and possibly may stretch to £1500 or so, more if I really need to.

I'd really appreciate some advice from any of you out there who may have been in a similar position and explored the various options.

I know ear speakers are a very personal thing and will be taking this on board.

Thanks in advance,
Chris 

May 14, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #3 of 12
not sure of the difference really. I just hear some of the electrostatics called earspeakers and others types called headphones. I'm looking to understand whether to stay on the current route and upgrade or to venture across to the electro's.

Thanks

May 14, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 12
I personally am a stat person because I appreciate the detail and clarity that comes with these types of phones.  Dynamics have gotten better over the years but still don't match stats in this regard and probably never will since its a transducer issue.  That said, I have heard some very good dynamic set-ups which had other virtues such as better dynamics, i.e. ability to track loud and soft passages.  However generally the better dynamics required expensive separate amps such that you were spending about as  much on a  better grade electrostatic and amp. 

You would do well to go to a meet, if there are any in your area, to hear various systems.  Otherwise, if you want to try Stats, you might want to try used equipment.  There is a pretty good market for old Stax phones and amps, and they hold up pretty well even if they are 30 years old.  The Stax SRM1Mk2 amp is good classic amp, which outperforms many later Stax amps and allows for both the early (low bias) phones and the later (high bias ) phones.  You might then try one of the olders Stax Lambdas.  Stax has made more than a dozen such models over about 30 years.  You might consider a Lambda Pro, Lambda Nova Signature, 202, or 404.    If you felt these didn't work for you then you woudl have little trouble selling them since, as I say,the market is good for old Stax.

May 14, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 12
As many things in life stats are an acquired taste. On the top end you have amps like the Blue Hawaii and cans like the O2 M1 which sound very nice, however I find the sound a bit cold for my taste. Personally I prefer the Sigma Pro out of an Stax energizer box like the SRD7/Pro and a vintage receiver or a class A amp.

However to me the top sound is out of a pair of an AKG K1000 and a top amp to drive them, I use a Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 LFPV Edition. An excellent alternative would be an orthodynamic, the HE-6 is very good but most prefer it out of a powerful amp which could mean you would have to sell your current amp. Perhaps you may want to consider the new HE-500 which is much easier to drive. I have not heard the LCD-2 orthodynamic so I can not comment on its sound.

Buying used gear will help you save quite a bit of money. Good luck.

May 14, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #6 of 12
I found that I prefer electrostatic speakers to headphones - they have better bass and the dipolar effect are wonderful. With headphones, I appreciate their (generally) more substantial sound.

The other issue with electrostat headphones is amplification. You can easily get into expensive waters in a hurry. There aren't many options and some substantial wait times, too.

Dynamics have a much wider array of amps at many price points. There are lots of excellent ones to choose from, too.

The K-1000 is also a favorite here, especially off 2A3 tubes. The DHT magic comes right out. I also spend a lot of time listening to the HD-800 on tubes, preferably the Zana Deux. Nice fit and great for hours of listening. For speakers, the Quad ESL-63 is about the best I've heard and it runs beautifully from modestly-priced tube speaker amps. They charge their own stators, unlike electrostatic headphones.

May 15, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 12
Thanks all for your help. I may try a s/h stax system to see how I get on with them and take it from there.

Do you know what, the AKG K702's just keep getting better and better and I'm wondering how much better Stax will be. Looking forward to experimenting though.

Thanks again

Chris

May 15, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #8 of 12
If you want to stick with dynamic phones, the new Hifiman HE-500 is definitely worth a look. You may also want to consider the Sennheiser HD-600/650, or the Audio-Technica AD2000.

For me, Stax headphones are in a different league. Some of the dynamics and orthos may get near the in this area or that, but the way my O2s sound, for me at least, nothing else gets close. The O2 is an expensive proposition though, and the SR-507 is probably a much better starting point. You can drive the 507 with pretty much any of the Stax amps, or a transformer and a speaker amp.

May 16, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #9 of 12
I thought the HD800 shared many of the positive traits the K702 has, and then betters it in all possible ways. If you prefer the overall sound character of the K701 relative to other high quality phones, you owe it to yourself to give the HD800 a try.

Personally I prefer the HE-6 (which, like the HE-500, is an orthodynamic planar headphone, not a dynamic), but they are both excellent top of the line units. I'll have to excuse myself from comparisons of them with electrostatics because I haven't had the opportunity to try them yet.

May 16, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #10 of 12
For £1500 I'd stay with the burson and the 702s (especially for Jazz, folk, acoustics and vocals...) :)
You need much more money to make a significant upgrade.

May 16, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
For £1500 I'd stay with the burson and the 702s (especially for Jazz, folk, acoustics and vocals...) :)
You need much more money to make a significant upgrade.

Thanks for this, I've been reading a lot of stuff on some of the new ortho headphones recently and wondered if I was missing out on a big increase in sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back