High-End Earbuds (VE, Blox, SHOZY etc) and Earbud Gear Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 1, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #931 of 1,031
  Hi golden SHK,

ok thanks for clarification. Have you also tried out those earbuds with conventional gear like a smartphone or tablet? I have compared the Monk with the H180 and the E100 earbud and came to the conclusion, that Monk has some bass but is far away from covering the frequency range that the bottom end offers. The H180 reaches as DarkZenith has said, much lower and also has more punch to it.

Got the hint of Awei ES10 several times, so perhaps just have to give them a try too (= Some more earbuds are on their way since two weeks to add to the budget knowledge base :p

Yes, thanks for reminding me, I also try them with smartphones particularly the iPhone 5 and iPhone 6S. Aside from the higher impedance earbuds, I don't notice a dramatic difference in sound quality from an iPhone 6S and a MacBook for example. Have you tried the Edifier H190? Isn't it supposed to be even better than the H180 if the H180 is better than the Monk? 

May 1, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #932 of 1,031
I didn't think the edifiers were really any better or worse than the Monk. Just a little different I guess. It's a bit more veiled sounding I thought

I thought there was a bit more bass but nothing like the zen or mc5? maybe the edifier needs the recable mod.

May 1, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #933 of 1,031
I didn't think the edifiers were really any better or worse than the Monk. Just a little different I guess. It's a bit more veiled sounding I thought

I thought there was a bit more bass but nothing like the zen or mc5? maybe the edifier needs the recable mod.

That's kind of what I would guess, but I haven't heard the H180 yet, have you heard the higher up model the H190? Maybe that one is even better. 

May 2, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #935 of 1,031
  Yes, thanks for reminding me, I also try them with smartphones particularly the iPhone 5 and iPhone 6S. Aside from the higher impedance earbuds, I don't notice a dramatic difference in sound quality from an iPhone 6S and a MacBook for example. Have you tried the Edifier H190? Isn't it supposed to be even better than the H180 if the H180 is better than the Monk? 

Ok :). Coming to the H190, according to ClieOS, it is a little better to his taste, but more than twice as expensive. If you look into his ranking, the H185 gets the highest ranking and only costs 2-3$ more than the H180. Ordered an H185 few weeks ago, it has not arrived yet, but will report when it does :)

May 4, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #936 of 1,031
To be honest I missed he mentioned the 190, that one ill have to try out. Also want to do that de'mun cable mod.

Let me know what you think of the 190 when you get a chance, if you think they are the best edifier, I'll grab a pair for the rankings to try out. 

Ok :). Coming to the H190, according to ClieOS, it is a little better to his taste, but more than twice as expensive. If you look into his ranking, the H185 gets the highest ranking and only costs 2-3$ more than the H180. Ordered an H185 few weeks ago, it has not arrived yet, but will report when it does :)

Yes, I noticed that as well. I wonder if the H190 are actually objectively worse than the 185 or if they are just a different sound signature taste. 

May 4, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #937 of 1,031

Let me know what you think of the 190 when you get a chance, if you think they are the best edifier, I'll grab a pair for the rankings to try out. 
Yes, I noticed that as well. I wonder if the H190 are actually objectively worse than the 185 or if they are just a different sound signature taste. 

Damn it, I've only heard the H180! Now I need to buy two sets of Edifiers. You guys better be ready to buy these from me when I'm done with them!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #938 of 1,031

Damn it, I've only heard the H180! Now I need to buy two sets of Edifiers. You guys better be ready to buy these from me when I'm done with them!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Haha, low key I've wanted to buy multiple earbuds from you aside from the VE Asura I already bought. I try to keep my eyes away from the classifieds for awhile to protect my wallet, especially with multiple buds already in transit. 
ksc75smile.gif

EDIT: Also PSA, the Monk+ are taking an eternity to get to me. The original monks didn't take anywhere near this long. Hopefully I can review them and update the list soon though. 

May 4, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #939 of 1,031
My monk+ order took like an extra week or so over every other VE order I placed. I'm pretty sure hong kong post is legit screw**d with backups. It might be a while before ePacket tracking starts working again.

out here in the good ol US of A even the USPS will skip scanning in packages during backups. I can only imagine how much more HK post has to deal with.

May 6, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #940 of 1,031
  My monk+ order took like an extra week or so over every other VE order I placed. I'm pretty sure hong kong post is legit screw**d with backups. It might be a while before ePacket tracking starts working again.

out here in the good ol US of A even the USPS will skip scanning in packages during backups. I can only imagine how much more HK post has to deal with.

Monk+s finally arrived today. 

A bit of a mixed back unfortunately. I don't think they are a clear step up from the OG Monk in every aspect but the soundstage and imaging is in another league for sure. I just wished they would have been an improvement across the board. Will update the list accordingly after enough time listening for a few days. Waiting on more buds. 

May 21, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #943 of 1,031
my monk + shipped today.. hopefully i liked em.. quite worried as its being shipped via Sing Post, but i forgot to let seller know not to use Sing Post.. fingers crossed now..

May 22, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #944 of 1,031
  Hi goldenSHK,

here you can find a short comparison of the H180, H185 and the Tomahawk/Toneking. Don't know about the H190 though (=

Thanks for the comparison now I know more of what to expect. I will also be adding the Monk+ and a few more earbuds to the list soon. 

my monk + shipped today.. hopefully i liked em.. quite worried as its being shipped via Sing Post, but i forgot to let seller know not to use Sing Post.. fingers crossed now..

If you like earbuds that sound more like the Asura 2.0 (neutral, detailed, airy) than the warmer buds you'll really really like the Monk+. If not, you'll probably have to EQ them a bit, 

Jun 17, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #945 of 1,031
So today I got the Fiio EM3 (ordered on the recommendation of another user) and I say that one is clearly better than the other but the sound of the VE Monk (original) sounds a bit fuller? The EM3 maybe sounds a bit louder with the same settings beacuse it fits better in my ear (I think it's smaller) and the sound is clear with good treble but Monk seems to have better bass.

I dunno I can't really tell too well, someone with a better ear can comment on what they like more. I should add that I don't use a pre-amp or anything (I listened to them on an iPod nano and an Android with Viper4Android...don't kno if it would make a difference with those two).

I listen to mostly guitar based music I should add (indie, rock, alternative, britpop, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back