High-end dynamic driver IEMs
May 30, 2014 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

vkalia

500+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of Shure SE846s, SE535s and Heir 5.0s.  

I am looking for a pair of high-end dynamic driver IEMs, with a focus on lush, creamy mids and smooth highs.     Ideally, I'd like to keep it in the $500 range but am ok going above/below.

Anyone have any recommendations?

TIA.

May 31, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #2 of 20
Hi.
I've read good things about JVC's 850 woody.
From what I've seen, it may fit your budget.

I own some Dita Answers myself - www.ditaaudio.com.

They're a little costlier at about $650US.
They're a very balanced phone, very musical, revealing and transparent.
Bass is deep and dynamic, mids are lush, and treble is airy, detailed and so sweet.

I'm sure others will ring in with other suggestions too.

May 31, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #3 of 20
^^ Thanks for that, Winno - will look into DITA a little more.   Let's see what other suggestions people come up with.

May 31, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #4 of 20
I've had the Ulitimate Ear UE 10 Pros for years and they're amazing. They have the UE11's to 18's out now too which I'm sure are killer. Mine were $900 and custom molded but I think well worth the money. There are so many out now that I'm sure your decision is going to be a difficult one if you want to spend anywhere from $500 to $1200.... But I know if you go with UE's you won't be disappointed at all.

May 31, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 20
I've had the Ulitimate Ear UE 10 Pros for years and they're amazing. They have the UE11's to 18's out now too which I'm sure are killer. Mine were $900 and custom molded but I think well worth the money. There are so many out now that I'm sure your decision is going to be a difficult one if you want to spend anywhere from $500 to $1200.... But I know if you go with UE's you won't be disappointed at all.

I think he is looking for a dynamic driver phone in particular - the UE's are great, but chock full of BA drivers...
redface.gif

May 31, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #7 of 20
I'm curious about this also.

I know IE800 is TOTL Sennheiser, only listened to it briefly so cannot comment.  Sony EX-1000(discontinued) is to me best sounding dynamic iem I've heard.  I have never heard the JVC Victor FX700-850 series, but it's regarded highly here, but it's quite bassy from what I hear.  HiFiMan has dynamics also, 600 and 400 are pretty popular right now with 272 and 262 discontinued as sounding neutral and accurate.  K3003 is hybrid with dynamic for low and BA.  Sony XBA-H3 is hybrid also.  

May 31, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 20
The JVC`s are great but even the 850`s have recessed mids, if you want a more mid/high focus, go for Grado GR10`s, they have a moving armature and act much like a dynamic, really enjoyed them when I trialed them. Otherwise the JVC FX800`s and 850`s are a good listen if you don`t mind the recessed mids, the highs are great and the bass moves a lot of air, they are probably more bass head iems though and have about twice the bass presence as my SE535`s.

Jun 1, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #9 of 20
I've heard the Senn IE80s and they didnt really impress me too much, i have to say - and everything i've read about the IE800s leads me to assume i wont like their sound.

JVCs - i'll have to get over my irrational bias against their brand name (I find it hard to take seriously the products from the large electronics companies, even when I know i am being irrational and they make some very good products).   Although the "recessed mid" is the opposite of what I want.

The Grados - is their house sound similar to that of Grado cans?  If so, they may not be for me..  bright highs and I do not get along.  

I am looking for something that is midrange focused (i am ok if it has deep bass, but definitely not ok if it has bright highs).    Would the Grados fit this bill?   I had heard the Piano Fortes at Jaben and there was something very weird going on with their sound.    There are some good dynamic driver IEMs in the $100-200 range (eg, Hifiman) but shirley there are better ones at a higher price?    

TIA!

Jun 1, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #12 of 20
^^ Thanks, guys.   That sounds more like the business!

Nazrin - are the Rhapsodios voiced like the AKG 701s or do they have more bass?

Ryan - how is the treble on the Ocharakus?   Smooth/warm?   

Jun 1, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #13 of 20
  ^^ Thanks, guys.   That sounds more like the business!

Nazrin - are the Rhapsodios voiced like the AKG 701s or do they have more bass?

Ryan - how is the treble on the Ocharakus?   Smooth/warm?   

The RTi1 has a natural, analytical, refencence type sound

PROS: Good extension both lows and highs, Instrument separation and  details are the best Ive ever heard, Wide soundstage

CONS: Bass (Not much slam), not very forgiving on poor mastered tracks, very source dependent

BEST FOR: Acoustics, Classical, Jazz

Jun 2, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #14 of 20
I'd rule out Ocharaku's Flat4 lineup. Their treble is on the edgier side and mids are not as forward as I would think you'd like. I'd also suggest looking into Sony's MDR-EX1000 or MDR-7550 for something that's in production as their sound signature seems to fit your bill, though they isolate rather poorly (esp. wind noise due to the positioning of vents on the outside face of the driver housings).

Jun 2, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #15 of 20
  The JVC`s are great but even the 850`s have recessed mids, if you want a more mid/high focus, go for Grado GR10`s, they have a moving armature and act much like a dynamic, really enjoyed them when I trialed them. Otherwise the JVC FX800`s and 850`s are a good listen if you don`t mind the recessed mids, the highs are great and the bass moves a lot of air, they are probably more bass head iems though and have about twice the bass presence as my SE535`s.

The FX850 does not have recessed mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back