High-End DIY
Aug 11, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #46 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you soldered Rf and R3 (and the amplifier wouldn't work properly if you didn't), then you have feedback and plenty of it.

There are two options on the board: 1/ solder rf onboard or on the legs of the chip (which doesn't change anything in terms of circuit) and 2/ put or not Ci. All Ci does is to reduce DC gain at unity, it doesn't make or break the feedback loop.

This discussion should now move to the DIY forum, don't you think ?

point taken - but thanks - I am greener than emerald when it comes to DIY - but somehow, my solder joints are very good

Aug 11, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #47 of 52
Aug 12, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #48 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm certainly no DIYer but I've heard more than a fair share of the headphone amps available and the beta22 is the best solid state headphone amp I've heard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A prime example would be to ask those who have built a beta22 which commercial products they have tried. i suspect that it won't be most or all commercial amps, but time and time again you'll see the same people say that "there are no commercial products that can match the beta22".

For someone who has heard nearly all SS amps you can back your opinion of it being better than any other SS. I am talking about someone who hasn;t heard many other amps and still claims it's the end be it all of amps..

I should have explained that clearer I guess.

Aug 13, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #49 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the other side of that is that rarely, I mean RARELY, do you see a comparison of DIY products to commercial products. From what I've seen over the years, many people who build DIY amp/sources simply claim that they are better than commercially available products.

Leaving the B22 out for JUST a minute, that is specifically why I take my builds to meets - to see how they measure up to 'commercial' offerings. I think once Pete Millett heard my BH, he actually was intrigued for a few seconds about electrostatic - which he never has been before.

The previous generation MH had better parts and performance (per other observers) than the Headroom because I used Black Gates, tant resistors and stepped attenuators (as opposed to RK27), along with all silver wire. The parts were better, and, overall, it showed. The case was NOT as pretty because that means less to me than others.

In fact, I wrote reviews about a m³ and the Millett Hybrid, but, you know what? No one cared, because few people had ever heard them, as opposed to, at the time, ASL, the Singlepower toasters, and CI / Sudgen Headmaster / DAC1, et al. While the sound matched up, the obscurity was such that 'discussion' (other than meet threads) was virtually nonexistant.

The vast majority was met with benign neglect, and, in fact, the DIY forum was on the verge of collapse due to the then 'mod' trying to insist DIY had to include making your own ion implanter to make your own chips. It was, to say the very least, a totally hostile environment, that, I STILL suspect, was meant to help sponsor sales.

That most people cannot DIY makes them uninterested in the designs many of us enjoy. Better? Who cares, but we have the options to take equal (or better) designs and make them far better depending on what we want to spend.

I simply prefer to spend my $$$ on the circuit, not the casing.

Aug 13, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #50 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Leaving the B22 out for JUST a minute, that is specifically why I take my builds to meets - to see how they measure up to 'commercial' offerings. I think once Pete Millett heard my BH, he actually was intrigued for a few seconds about electrostatic - which he never has been before.

The previous generation MH had better parts and performance (per other observers) than the Headroom because I used Black Gates, tant resistors and stepped attenuators (as opposed to RK27), along with all silver wire. The parts were better, and, overall, it showed. The case was NOT as pretty because that means less to me than others.

In fact, I wrote reviews about a m³ and the Millett Hybrid, but, you know what? No one cared, because few people had ever heard them, as opposed to, at the time, ASL, the Singlepower toasters, and CI / Sudgen Headmaster / DAC1, et al. While the sound matched up, the obscurity was such that 'discussion' (other than meet threads) was virtually nonexistant.

The vast majority was met with benign neglect, and, in fact, the DIY forum was on the verge of collapse due to the then 'mod' trying to insist DIY had to include making your own ion implanter to make your own chips. It was, to say the very least, a totally hostile environment, that, I STILL suspect, was meant to help sponsor sales.

That most people cannot DIY makes them uninterested in the designs many of us enjoy. Better? Who cares, but we have the options to take equal (or better) designs and make them far better depending on what we want to spend.

Great post. I think you have made valid points, and I respect your choice to prefer DIY.

Aug 13, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #51 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agreed.

96984130.jpg

96984135.jpg

Yup, she's a plain jane in a boring case with precious little in the way of frills or fancy stuff on the outside but I don't think that anyone that heard it at CanJam came away wondering why I'd bothered to build it.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 13, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #52 of 52
^^^ My hero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back