HIGH END DAC
Jun 25, 2011 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

t-h-e-p-i-m-p

Aka: snibelsnabe
hi! i would to get a dac with an amazing extension in the whole frequency spectrum, nothing in the frequency should "stick out", crystal clear sound, great dynamics and with with a touch of warmthness and smoothness is a most. resolution,transparency should be really good and The soundstage most be big in terms of width,height and deep. bass should be strong but well controlled. mids crystal clear and highs, should be airy,smooth. no track of harshness or brightness.

which dac are i'm talking about, or i'm dreaming? i would love to know. budget is 4000$. but, i want kind of "bang for the buck". cuz when you step over 2000$ dac's. they don't seem to be much better if you compare price to performance. but there is probably some dac that's worth the price it cost. i would be able to mod the dac ! i know how much the sound can change be changing the clock,psu etc.

Thanks!

Jun 25, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 10
My vote would go to the Anedio D1, it's just a bit north of 1k but has no problems playing in the unlimited catergory. See thread here in the DAC section. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/528473/review-anedio-d1-dac-my-new-reference-dac

Other DACs I like are the Hegel HD20 and Naim DAC. Both are great, the Hegel is a little bit more "organic" sounding and the Naim is a little bit more of a "PRAT" kind of DAC but from what you describle I think the D1 it should fit you best. Incredible detail, clarity, texture and soundstage but not harsh.

Jun 25, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
My vote would go to the Anedio D1, it's just a bit north of 1k but has no problems playing in the unlimited catergory. See thread here in the DAC section. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/528473/review-anedio-d1-dac-my-new-reference-dac

Other DACs I like are the Hegel HD20 and Naim DAC. Both are great, the Hegel is a little bit more "organic" sounding and the Naim is a little bit more of a "PRAT" kind of DAC but from what you describle I think the D1 it should fit you best. Incredible detail, clarity, texture and soundstage but not harsh.

thanks for the suggestion! did you find Anedio D1 better then hegel hd20 ? hegel is a dac that i could test. but not the D1.

Jun 25, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 10
Wyred4Sound DAC-2.  

http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/457975

http://digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/digital-source-reviews/item/157-wyred-4-sound-dac-2

Jun 26, 2011 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
thanks for the suggestion! did you find Anedio D1 better then hegel hd20 ? hegel is a dac that i could test. but not the D1.

The Hegel really is superb and a real bargain too, I wouldn't argue with anyone who preferred that one. The Anedio with its saber chip however does things I have never even heard before in terms of bringing out texture from the bottom end, and this is of course on top of its many other stellar qualities. I own a D1 myself and have no desire to exchange it for something else so that says something suppose.

Jun 27, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #8 of 10
How about trying them out at a dealer or a meet! Dropping over $2,000 - $4,000 without auditioning the gear is a bit crazy! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #9 of 10
Lately, I'm only buying equipment from vendors with a 30 day return policy and I tell them up front I'm auditioning the gear.  If they are cool with that, I'll proceed, otherwise not.  There are just not a lot of stores around where you can go in and audition gear.

Jul 11, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #10 of 10
It is right way. Anedio also offer 30 days for return.

There are a lot of options in your price range, just try and try and you will find what you are looking for.  Try Forssell mdac-2 or if you will have really lucky
bigsmile_face.gif
 then Meitner MA-1 from second hand but it is new product.
There are also many things which is unknown to world forums. I am sure almost every country could have 1-2 small handy company. We have Casea and handy diy's. I recomend try Casea Cepheus mk2 with synchro clocks it is approximately about $1400/1000euros and it doesn't need more words.  

Anedio D1 looks pretty interesting to me as well. I would like try it. It has excelent feedback here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back