High End DAC with iPod as as a source. Any Need?
Jul 17, 2012 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Ditti

Member of the Trade: Dita Audio
Dear Friends,
I primarily use my iDevice as a source.  95% of my music on iTunes is directly ripped from CDs using Apple Lossless.  Currently I am using an iStreamer hooked up to a 15 plus year old Headroom Supreme, which I've always loved.  I'm about to pull the trigger on two amps I have auditioned rather extensively, the Violectric V200 and Burson HA160D.

I am curious to know if upgrading to a higher end DAC such as the PS Audio Digital Link III makes any sense.  I will not be migrating to FLAC or any other higher res formats not supported by iTunes.

As far as pairing goes, I have the usual suspects; DT880, DT1350, HD600 (with VDH 3T re-cable), DT770 (also VDH 3T re-cable), HD25's, most of the better dynamic iems as well as the usual portables like the V-Moda M-80's, Fidelio L1 and so on.   I've also got most of the popular portable amps from RSA, ALO, Pico, etc.

I have ordered an LCD 2.2 which should be in in 2 weeks.

Is there a need to look into high end DACs?  I've sold most of my speaker setup and as such I am ok with a budget up to $1000 for the DAC.  I can not consider many of the higher end tube amps because IEMs are very important to me and will remain a large part of my stable. I'm afraid the gain is too high on many of those amps.

Help me out please?  Thanks in Advance.

Dan

Jul 17, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #2 of 2
it's what you hear that matters, some people claim that they don't notice any difference within dacs and some claim it's a miracle jumper. I've heard the PS and I'm not a fan of it, but I do love the w4s and you can find a used one for around 700-850 on these forums or audiogon. Who knows, you could probably get a B-stock off of w4s for a decent bargain. As for IEMs, a desktop amp usually has too much gain for an IEM, just read the specs and you'll know.

P.S - it's a night and day difference between the two sources one than I mentioned and the PSDL3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back