High End DAC Recommendations
Sep 18, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #106 of 118

No idea what the C1 is using for Ethernet, but look at the Audio Over IP forum in Computer Audio.

Believe me, the EVO is absolute junk compared to something like the RedNet D16.

Like I said before, you really have no idea how good your DAC can sound, but never will, using the EVO as an interface (I'm talking about immediate differences right away).

I'm listening. But the C1 over built in USB was not great.

Moving on, is there an Ethernet to AES/EBU or SPDIF bridge that I can send to from my Mac Mini? My concern would be the lack of a clock re jitter reduction, or is this not applicable? Ethernet is basically a different transfer conduit to USB/Firewire?

Can I ask, what EVO did you have? Did you have the ex clock and linear power supply? That and using the TotalDAC USB filter/lead makes a BIG difference. EVO on it's own is not great.

Sep 18, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #107 of 118

Moving on, is there an Ethernet to AES/EBU or SPDIF bridge that I can send to from my Mac Mini? My concern would be the lack of a clock re jitter reduction, or is this not applicable? Ethernet is basically a different transfer conduit to USB/Firewire?

Can I ask, what EVO did you have? Did you have the ex clock and linear power supply? That and using the TotalDAC USB filter/lead makes a BIG difference. EVO on it's own is not great.

D16 has both (AES/EBU and SPDIF). Any thing you want to know is here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/806827/audio-over-ip-rednet-3-16-review-aes67-sets-a-new-standard-for-computer-audio

Initially, I had the stack at home and only kept the USB converter because I didn't think it was worth the cost at the time.

Hiface EVO served a good purpose for it's intended use (6 years ago when it came out). USB audio was new and this was a good interface from a computer to a DAC. Sorry, but it's run it's course now.....

Sep 18, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #108 of 118
I believe that I Will buy the Luxman D-08u CD/SACD player, and I wonder if it's internal USB DAC can be used also as a TOL DAC that can drive my BHSE/ Stax SR009 when I use à music server connected to the Luxman ?

Has someone used the Luxman's Internal DAC to replace a stand alone DAC ? ( or another TOL CD player)

Sep 19, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #109 of 118
For any gear at this price level, one should not assume plug-and-play, I did spend quite some time tweaking around to get the C1 sing, It was a bit edgy and slightly on the bright side in the beginning I'd have to admit.

Interesting. I demo'd the C1 2 weeks back and compared to my AMR DAC and Audio Note DAC 5 it did sound over bright and edgy. I used the built in USB input board. Is this what you found? Maybe it got better with Ethernet connection?

I stopped looking at it after the demo as was disappointed it sounded sterile on USB for the high price. 

Any insight on that would be great.

Sep 19, 2016 at 8:25 AM Post #110 of 118
Audio Note DAC 5 Special

My system. The Mac Mini is used as the music server with it's own Linear Power supply serving up 12V DC, an M2Tech EVO full stack and TotalDAC USB cable feeds the DAC via SPDIF. 

Oh my, what a sound. After having had various DACs over the years, and for the last 10 years or so R-2R I have finally ended up with the 'old school' Audio Note DAC 5 Special. It is a V2 so 2008 to present spec, and I bought it used from a very nice guy in Italy.

Check out the passive pre-amplifier and very short interconnects. The DAC 5 is a big box, wide and very deep.

I call it old school because not only does it use the ancient AD1865 chip, valve power supply and line board, no USB input, it has effectively remained the same design since 2008 version. The first Audio Note DAC 5 was around 1998 and was based on the M3/5 pre-amplifier and the original DAC 4 prior to that. The digital board is very simple but effective with on-board SHUNT regulation.

The power supply is where a lot of the cost has gone and is based on the Galahad PS in the M5 and up pre-amplifier. There are 3 tubes on the power supply, an NOS Mullard or Sylvania ECL82 driver tube, a NOS Tungsol or Rayothen 6X5 regulator tube and and OB2 divider tube. The line board has a NOS Mullard or Sylvania ECC82 and an NOS 6463 Telefunken.

The PS board is hard wired, and many parts are silver such as I/V transformers and all wiring. Tantalum resistors and 
0.1mm AN-Perma 50 double C-cores output transformers which keeps the output impedance very low, around 50 ohms. The latter aspect allows me to use a passive pre-amplifier direct to my power amp for more speed and transparency.

Headinclouds built KGSShv Carbon with Ref power supply and additional LV boards.

Zingali Horn Hybrids Client Name EVO 1.2s. I bought them used from the Audio Rooms in Glasgow (Jack Lawson).
Bricks are temporary, I have a marble plinth being made, then fill that with expanding foam so it will be sonically dead.

12 inch horns and under those are the 12 inch bass drivers. 

I am running these near field as you can see and in a room about 3.5 m x 5.5 m with a sloping ceiling. Wound up they do energise the room, rather like a live event, the bass hits you in the chest. They play really loud showing no signs of stress and are actually quite polite and efficient at 97dB so can be used with tube amplifiers. It helps with digital I think as it can sound a bit aggressive. I am using the Plinius SA-103 which is 150 W Class A or Class A/B (switchable).

I am using the DAC with my KGSShv Carbon and 009s and also my Plinius SA-103 and Zingali Client Name EVO 1.2s. 

I have tried quite a few modern DACs recently including the CH Precision, MSB Platinum, AMR DP-777, Metrum Pavane, Naim. The Audio Note seems to get just the right amount of detail and speed without the 'hifi' sound I personally don't like in some digital.

The DAC 5 is a great match for the Carbon and 009s. I am running is straight, no EQ or tweaks and the sound is very balanced, full, great bass depth and texture and a wide soundstage. The midrange is superb as one might expect from a tube based product and designed by a company more obsessed with Vinyl than digital. In fact a lot of the lessons learned in building great phono stags have been utilised in the DAC 5 including the I/V conversion and output transformers. There is NO digital filtering (Zanden do the same) and any filtering is done in the analogue domain.

So a recommended DAC to try IMO, old yes, but built to such a high level and with technology that just works, it sounds so right, it can IMO compete with the very DACs out there. Plus I dig having the ability to tweak the sound with tube rolling, it stops me buying and selling to get the ultimate system synergy / sound balance that seems so illusive.

What's next? Dunno. Happy right now, very happy.

Hope someone found this useful. Any questions feel free to PM me.

Sep 22, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #111 of 118

So take a look at these rankings by someone else. M2Tech EVO is 3rd from the bottom of the list compared to the Rednet I/O interface (AOIP). It's only his opinion, but clearly the EVO cannot compete. In my estimate you're probably in the area of missing a minimum of 25% from the musical experience (that's comparing my EVO to Rednet D16). Yep, hard to believe you can be missing that much of the overall music (especially when you think how good your system sounds), but that's how much of a difference AOIP can make. I wouldn't be surprised if AOIP replaces USB for audio within the next 5 years (AOIP currently only samples up to 24/192 and no DSD).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/806827/audio-over-ip-rednet-3-16-review-aes67-sets-a-new-standard-for-computer-audio/1860#post_12882605

Sep 22, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #112 of 118
I have asked the poster about that best chain he describes. It looks like 4K Euros worth of gear. How is the Rednet connecting to the Mutec? Not via USB I would think.

It is good news if indeed it does sound that much better. My EVO stack sounds better than my previous CDPs so anything even better is going to be exciting I am sure.

I would prefer a one box solution though not 3 boxes. It would be nicer. Also I think the Rednet is limited to 192 so up sampling DSD may cause a problem if I want to go that route with a Lampizator.

I wonder how good the Mutec on it's own is?

Sep 22, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #113 of 118
  I have asked the poster about that best chain he describes. It looks like 4K Euros worth of gear. How is the Rednet connecting to the Mutec? Not via USB I would think.

It is good news if indeed it does sound that much better. My EVO stack sounds better than my previous CDPs so anything even better is going to be exciting I am sure.

I would prefer a one box solution though not 3 boxes. It would be nicer. Also I think the Rednet is limited to 192 so up sampling DSD may cause a problem if I want to go that route with a Lampizator.

I wonder how good the Mutec on it's own is?

Mutec with USB is their better unit, but those using it for AOIP don't use USB, they're using it as a re-clocker. Yep, more options = more boxes.

He still gives Rednet on it's own a score of 220.

Your Audio Note doesn't have DSD.

Sep 23, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #114 of 118
How does the Chord Dave sound next to other high-end DAC's?

Sep 29, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #115 of 118

D16 has both (AES/EBU and SPDIF). Any thing you want to know is here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/806827/audio-over-ip-rednet-3-16-review-aes67-sets-a-new-standard-for-computer-audio

Initially, I had the stack at home and only kept the USB converter because I didn't think it was worth the cost at the time.

Hiface EVO served a good purpose for it's intended use (6 years ago when it came out). USB audio was new and this was a good interface from a computer to a DAC. Sorry, but it's run it's course now.....

Hmm, I have taken your info on board and gone and bought a RedNet 3. I will use it via Gigabit Ethernet from my 20015 Mac Mini and SPDIF out from the RedNet 3 to my DAC.

I'll report back. I am cool if I get 10% increase in SQ TBH, it is already damb good. So jumping into the murky waters of Pro Audio gear and AOIP...

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #116 of 118
Has someone listened or own a VERACITY DAC ?  

A tube based UK DAC with 2 separate internal circuits : one for PCM and one for DSD, with automatic switching... ! 

Sep 30, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #117 of 118
  Has someone listened or own a VERACITY DAC ?  

A tube based UK DAC with 2 separate internal circuits : one for PCM and one for DSD, with automatic switching... ! 

We'll be showing with Veracity at RMAF, though I haven't actually listened to their DACs yet. So there will be a Chrysalis in Denver. We're in 6015 with speakers, but we'll have some headphones and if anyone wants to plug into the MZ2-S we're using as a preamp and listen, we'll welcome that. 

Sep 30, 2016 at 4:06 AM Post #118 of 118

We'll be showing with Veracity at RMAF, though I haven't actually listened to their DACs yet. So there will be a Chrysalis in Denver. We're in 6015 with speakers, but we'll have some headphones and if anyone wants to plug into the MZ2-S we're using as a preamp and listen, we'll welcome that. 

I am looking forward for listening feedback of the Veracity DAC's.  

Also I wonder what are the sound quality difference between the Mystra and the Chrysalis.
And I also wonder if the Chrysalis can be made available with the metal finish of the Mystra instead of the fancy wood finish that do not always match modern audio set-up ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back