High End Closed Headphones (Can't Decide!)
Nov 8, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #16 of 24
I've owned 3 pairs of closed cans. Ultrasone Proline 750's - pretty good, great bass, slightly brittle highs, a but recessed in the mids, bass had a bit too much hang time to me.

Audio Technica ESW10's - I loved these cans. They are true pieces of beauty =, and in the end, with a toddler in my home, I was always just a bit scared they'd get trashed, so I sold them. Easily the best of the 3 to me.

Ultrasone HFI 780's with a recable and damping mods. I did the work on these, and it was fun. Several professionals also do this work for a fair price. I like these a lot. I didn't like them much stock, though. Stock - sibilant, boomy, recessed mids, brittle highs. Modified, detailed highs, sibilance is gone, mids are in balance, bass is controlled. Still a pretty aggressive and forward can.

Nov 8, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #17 of 24
I've loved my Ultrasone Pro 900s.

I got 'em for 350ish online, which was a steal. If you're interested, I'll try to send you the link. Not bad for phones worth about $600.

I did a lot of reading on this forum before I bought them, and now I'm glad I did. They sound as amazing as everyone said they would, despite not being burned in. And they only seem to get better with age!

Give these cans a chance. Ultrasone doesn't seem to get as much attention on these forums as some of the other standard brands (i.e. senn, AKG, Denon, Grado, AT, etc...). But if you read up a little you'll see that almost everyone that buys the 900s love 'em.

Nov 8, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #18 of 24
I gotta ask one more thing about the Denon's before finalizing my decision.

How is the soundstage? Being an FPS gamer, soundstage is very important to me, as accurately knowing where opponents is is a huge benefit.

Nov 8, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #19 of 24
... Why hasn't anyone recommended the DT250 80 ohm?
It does everything the OP wants without a direct need for a headphone amp.
IMO they sound better than every can mentioned here (bar the ESW10) and are much cheaper than them too.
Heck, if OP wants a bit more bass he could get a DT150 and an amp.

Denons give me a headache.
ATH A2000X etc are a rip off. You're paying a huge premium for the metal finish and it makes no sound difference over the ATH A2000 for example.

The DT250 and DT150 can be a little dark for some rock (particularly recordings where the actual music is boring), however I much prefer it to huge bass in rock which IMO destroys the sound of a guitar way more than a gentle roll-off of highs

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO they sound better than every can mentioned here (bar the ESW10) and are much cheaper than them too.

ATH A2000X etc are a rip off. You're paying a huge premium for the metal finish and it makes no sound difference over the ATH A2000 for example.

The DT250 and DT150 can be a little dark for some rock (particularly recordings where the actual music is boring), however I much prefer it to huge bass in rock which IMO destroys the sound of a guitar way more than a gentle roll-off of highs

I seriously doubt the DT250 sounds better than the Denons. Hell, I doubt they sound better than DT770s, and I can't stand the DT770s sound signature. I actually really enjoyed the sound of the D5000s, and didn't find the bass overwhelming at all.

Does anybody have anything to say regarding my above question though? How is the soundstage/how are they for gaming?

Nov 8, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

What is ATH A2000, never heard of them? DT250 have very even FQ curve without annoying ups and downs but sound dull and muffled, details resolution suffers as a result plus they provide ear to ear experience, there was no soundstage to speak of as I remember, I owned both 80 and 250 Ohm versions.
I recommend to look at AKG K271S/272S, I liked them better than DT770, D2000 and DT48.

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

There is no A2000 ever existed...

A2000X is not a rip-off, many think they sound better than W5000 too.
However I think its just not the right phone for the right job.

I suggest SRH840, or even DT48.

Nov 8, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #23 of 24
I say pick the D2000 and an amp since the only difference between D2k & D5k is the cable, and the wooden can. The speaker is exactly the same.

And from by looking at your music genres it sounds like the Denon sound signature would fit them perfectly.

Force

Nov 8, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Force /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I say pick the D2000 and an amp since the only difference between D2k & D5k is the cable, and the wooden can. The speaker is exactly the same.

And from by looking at your music genres it sounds like the Denon sound signature would fit them perfectly.

Force

I'm settled on the D5Ks (I've heard there is a fairly noticeable difference in sound between the 2k and 5ks), but it turns out I'm going to have an extra $300 to drop on an amp (although I may use $200 of it to upgrade to an AuzenTech sound card, as my source is a little weak right now and as people are saying an amp isn't a necessity to run these).

Does anybody have an amp in the $100-300 price range that would go well with the D5Ks? I was looking at the HeadRoom Micro (or the Total AirHead if I get a new sound card), but I don't know a lot about amps so looking for some suggestions here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back