High End Cables Thread (digital, analog, power)
Apr 23, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #616 of 928
I just got the Chord Anni to go between my DAVE and my DCA Stealths. I absolutely hate the sound of the Anni, but others have loved it. I'm wondering to what extent it might be the lame RCA cables.

Any recommendations for great RCA cables for a line-level analog signal?

What is your desire on the sound type you hope to achieve?

The Chord Anni I've definitely heard of it and I believe it's a class D amp made to drive both speakers and headphones.

What type of sound does this setup give you at the moment.

I do think cables can help. That said I look at cables as the equivalent to salt and pepper or maybe adding some hot sauce. Meaning it can and would help season the dish to enhance it. But it's not able to make up for a poorly made meal.

I think your safe, Chord make high quality gear. But some direction would be helpful.

Apr 23, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #617 of 928
What is your desire on the sound type you hope to achieve?

The Chord Anni I've definitely heard of it and I believe it's a class D amp made to drive both speakers and headphones.

What type of sound does this setup give you at the moment.

I do think cables can help. That said I look at cables as the equivalent to salt and pepper or maybe adding some hot sauce. Meaning it can and would help season the dish to enhance it. But it's not able to make up for a poorly made meal.

I think your safe, Chord make high quality gear. But some direction would be helpful.
Well, supposedly the Dave doesn't have enough power to really drive the Stealths.

But the Anni seems to smear the high end, and I'm wondering if a great cable might help that.

Apr 23, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #619 of 928
Well, supposedly the Dave doesn't have enough power to really drive the Stealths.

But the Anni seems to smear the high end, and I'm wondering if a great cable might help that.
To get the component level change, which is what I think you're after, you're looking at component level pricing. Ones that are really airy, accentuate the treble, and have spacious sound signature are the Shunyata Sigma V2, Transparent Ultra XL, and Synergistic Research Galileo series. Any of these would be like getting a new amp but I'd think about getting a new amp before diving this deeply into interconnects.

Apr 23, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #620 of 928
Anyone dabble in I2S (HDMI) cables here? I recently acquired an Audioquest Dragon 48 (used) and the results are simply incredible... it's been about 10-15 hours and already the sound is much more holographic and there's a greater sense of depth to the music compared to the Thunderbird 48 it replaces. From what I've read this cable can take a while to settle in...I'm already impressed so it will be interesting to see what else is in store.

DSC_0471.jpg

Apr 24, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #621 of 928
I absolutely hate the sound of the Anni
In that case, sell it and buy another amplifier. Cablerolling is a good thing for fine tuning. With new cables, you can maximize the potential of the device you like, but not completely change it.

Chord’s amplifiers are not bad, but they never were nearly as good as their DACs. There is absolutely no reason to keep Anni if you don’t like it.

Apr 24, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #622 of 928
Anyone dabble in I2S (HDMI) cables here?
I highly recommend Tubulus Concentus I2S. Great reviews, some science behind the design, reasonable price and 30 days moneyback. Soundwise it’s top notch. I use mine for a year or so and very pleased with it. Did some comparisons with other cables and Tubulus was always better, more natural and 3D. Haven’t tried AQ Dragon, though.

Apr 24, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #623 of 928
In that case, sell it and buy another amplifier. Cablerolling is a good thing for fine tuning. With new cables, you can maximize the potential of the device you like, but not completely change it.

Chord’s amplifiers are not bad, but they never were nearly as good as their DACs. There is absolutely no reason to keep Anni if you don’t like it.
Ok, makes sense. Thanks!

Apr 24, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #624 of 928
To get the component level change, which is what I think you're after, you're looking at component level pricing. Ones that are really airy, accentuate the treble, and have spacious sound signature are the Shunyata Sigma V2, Transparent Ultra XL, and Synergistic Research Galileo series. Any of these would be like getting a new amp but I'd think about getting a new amp before diving this deeply into interconnects.
Ok, thanks!

Apr 24, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #625 of 928

So I guess your implication is that it's unlikely bad cables would be the problem behind the smeared high-end, is that right?

Apr 24, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #626 of 928
So I guess your implication is that it's unlikely bad cables would be the problem behind the smeared high-end, is that right?
I think it's more akin to cables being the condiments and the hardware being the actual dish. Some dishes can't be saved if they are flawed from the beginning (to the users' preference). It's better to just change the dish itself than to try to "fix" it with cables. It may or may not work but then you'll always be left with the knowledge that the dish was subpar (to your preference) to begin with.

Apr 24, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #627 of 928
Unless we are talking about extremely cheap cables from a supermarket, yes. If you have at least basic audio cables, say $50/pair Blue Jeans LC-1 you can understand how component sounds. More expensive cables can give you better highs (lows, mids, stage et.c.). But that would be such a difference that you won't notice without comparing one cable to another. @xtr4 gave a great analogy. Like condiments in food, cables plays significant role in getting a great sounding system. But no condiment will ever turn a sausage into steak.

I once tried the whole AQ line of analog interconnects from Bridges and Falls series between a Chord Qutest and Violectric V200. Each step was making sound a little bit better. I've clearly heard a difference after each change. If I were asked to sort these cables by price, I would easily do it. Such task is doable, it would just take a lot of time to compare all possible pairs and write down impressions. But if someone just plugged in a random cable from that line and asked me to say whether it is cheap, expensive or average now, I wouldn’t even try to guess. Without reference point for comparison all of them are fine.

Apr 24, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #628 of 928
Unless we are talking about extremely cheap cables from a supermarket, yes. If you have at least basic audio cables, say $50/pair Blue Jeans LC-1 you can understand how component sounds. More expensive cables can give you better highs (lows, mids, stage et.c.). But that would be such a difference that you won't notice without comparing one cable to another. @xtr4 gave a great analogy. Like condiments in food, cables plays significant role in getting a great sounding system. But no condiment will ever turn a sausage into steak.

I once tried the whole AQ line of analog interconnects from Bridges and Falls series between a Chord Qutest and Violectric V200. Each step was making sound a little bit better. I've clearly heard a difference after each change. If I were asked to sort these cables by price, I would easily do it. Such task is doable, it would just take a lot of time to compare all possible pairs and write down impressions. But if someone just plugged in a random cable from that line and asked me to say whether it is cheap, expensive or average now, I wouldn’t even try to guess. Without reference point for comparison all of them are fine.
Great thoughts - thanks.

Like it sounds like you are, I'm one of people who hears every little change. I recently simply moved the location of the M-Scaler to different places and there was a place I couldn't stand how it sounded (turns out it was too near a 230/120v transformer I need for my American gear), and where I have it now (about 2 feet below the Dave) it sounds incredible. I wish I didn't hear everything because even though I have the money, I have no interest in chasing perfection (and won't). I'd just rather have a system that sounds awesome and spend time listening to music, not auditioning cables.

That said, I was stunned at how bad the Anni sounds compared to the Dave's HP out. No one wouldn't hear it. And the Anni gets great reviews (and the Dave HP gets bad reviews with hungry headphones). So I was a bit flummoxed thinking it must be the crap cables.

I guess the only way to know is to find some good RCA interconnects. I'll look for those Blue Jeans ones you mention.

Apr 25, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #629 of 928
I guess the only way to know is to find some good RCA interconnects. I'll look for those Blue Jeans ones you mention.
I mentioned Blue Jeans just as an example of minimally decent quality. That is, cables that are guaranteed to do their job without any of the noticeable problems found in extremely cheap or counterfeit cables. You don't have to buy exactly these. AudioQuest (Big Sur and higher), or Tellurium Q, or any other reputable manufacturer will be fine as a starting point.

I think the best strategy is not to start with expensive cables. Just get something that is "definitely not crap". This is useful both for selecting components at the beginning and as a reference point for comparing and understanding high-end cables later.

Apr 25, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #630 of 928
AQ storm series. I like these to "shape" the sound a bit. adds meat throughout and also shaves a bit off the top.
I had exactly the same experience with my Tornado Source cable. Have you tried to compare different levels of the Storm series? I wonder what will change if I switch my Tornado for Firebird or Dragon. It will be the same dark sound, but somehow better, or higher models will be more neutral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back