High End Cables Thread (digital, analog, power)
May 25, 2024 at 7:37 AM Post #903 of 928
Well decided to work on the network side of the rig after getting Phoenix for usb. Purchased Nordost qnet work switch with its funky stand. Picked it up because of engineering but unlike PhoenixNET, it provides high speed network switches plus lower speed 100 mps audio switches for noise reduction.
Just tidying up the basses for the eventual home run…..
IMG_2530.jpeg

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #904 of 928
Yeah I don't doubt he's a good guy. I was trying to inquire about cables 2 times but both times the talks just stalled.

What makes Arctic Cables one of your favorites?
At least you got a reply. I took my four-figures cable spend to DHC instead. Business owners should reply to emails.

May 25, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #906 of 928
oh and bought Nordost Norse 2 Series Heimdall 2 Ethernet Cable to plug it in......

May 25, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #907 of 928
well that was weird, i ordered from a well known audio retailer in toronto, exececutive stereo. well the transaction went through, my card shows pending transaction. then the retailer emails me and says they wont process the order because im a new customer, i have to go to the store to show my card in person. What? i said your site doesn't say first orders over the internet are refused unless you buy in store, that's just ridiculous. the retailer claims card fraud, but i suspect there's more going on. any who avoid executive stereo in north york. looks like winnipeg offers on line sales of nordost qnet.

May 25, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #908 of 928
Just got an audible improvement switching to an optical USB cable going to my USB hub. The noise floor dropped significantly and everything sounds better as a result. I saw an article from a while back that Archimago did measurements of the Corning optical USB cable running into several USB hubs with really good, measurable results. The sale ended but they had a 50 percent off discount on the Fibbre optical USB so I grabbed it and arrived today. You can get them for much less on eBay, and there's many other brands that make optical USB for things like VR headsets which need the long lengths for mobility.
I had a USB 3.1 A to C adapter so I got it plugged into the USB hub located now far away from all other electronics. Also now I can use short length USB cables for even better performance (6ft was ok, and the 10ft caused dropouts on playback). The key if you do it, is buying a hub that is powered and also has a removable cable with USB C. For the Corning cable it uses an A to micro-B but there's plenty of hubs that use that still so they aren't hard to find. The 16.5ft was plenty long to get from the PC to the far side of the desk where I put stacks.
I don't usually spend much on cables, but do get the star quad design for XLR, and balanced headphone cables for a sometimes lower noise floor. With a home office with tons of devices going off, the optical USB into a hub was the best thing I've upgraded in a long time. It's all running from a Sine Wave UPS and couldn't ask for better results. Aurorus just sent over the Borealis headphones for a review and really feel like I know how they sound with an inky black noise floor.

Jun 5, 2024 at 4:19 AM Post #909 of 928
When I return home from work, I'll be able to start a 3 week free testing period of

The In-Akustik AC-4500 Power conditioner, which I can compare to my PS Audio Stellar Power plan 3

And 2 of their flagship AC-4005 AIR UHQ Power cables to compare to my cheap nrgcustomcables

Jun 5, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #910 of 928
The package size is ridiculous 🤣
The Filter
20240605_163207.jpg

The cable package in comparison to my chair:
20240605_170147.jpg

For one Single cable

The cable comparison.
In the middle a stock cable, then the NRG Custom Cables 'The 5' which is already huge, and on the outside the In-Akustik AC-4005 AIR
20240605_164915.jpg

Build quality is impressive.
I expected "made in germany " quality and still am surprised.

Despite the size, these are super flexible.
NRG Custom Cables are also flexible but very heavy. The In-Akustik not so much.

My setup with the AC-4500 loaner
20240605_170354.jpg
20240605_173534.jpg

My room sucks from a lighting perspective, these pictures look crappy, but you get the gist of it.

Also some illustration of the cable insides

Screenshot_20240605-175208.jpg

Jun 5, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #911 of 928
That’s one thick unruly chord

Jun 5, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #912 of 928
Jun 5, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #913 of 928
The package size is ridiculous 🤣
The Filter 20240605_163207.jpg
The cable package in comparison to my chair:
20240605_170147.jpg
For one Single cable

The cable comparison.
In the middle a stock cable, then the NRG Custom Cables 'The 5' which is already huge, and on the outside the In-Akustik AC-4005 AIR
20240605_164915.jpg

Build quality is impressive.
I expected "made in germany " quality and still am surprised.

Despite the size, these are super flexible.
NRG Custom Cables are also flexible but very heavy. The In-Akustik not so much.

My setup with the AC-4500 loaner
20240605_170354.jpg20240605_173534.jpg
My room sucks from a lighting perspective, these pictures look crappy, but you get the gist of it.

Also some illustration of the cable insides

Screenshot_20240605-175208.jpg
Looks to be of an extremely high quality. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on how it impacts your system.

:k701smile:

Jun 5, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #914 of 928
Looks to be of an extremely high quality. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on how it impacts your system.

:k701smile:
Right now I installed the Filter and both new cables and the difference is massive.

To be fair I also expected a big difference between Filter and Regenerator. The methods are simply so different.

For now I'm taking a ton of notes and latest on saturday I will remove the new cables and try to compare Filter vs Regenerator with stock cables.

After that I'll use my Regenerator but with new cable going into it. Might switch around which device receives the new cable.

Also the Filter has different Filter techniques for the outputs. 3 have serial Filter Networks (for analog devices) and 3 have parallel Filter Networks (for Digital devices)
I didn't understand yet why the power would benefit to be treated differently, but I'll also play around with those two options

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back