High End Cables Thread (digital, analog, power)
May 4, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #661 of 928
I've narrowed my ethernet cable choices to TWL Freedom or FTA Metis. And with that, I am now in the self-torment phase... be sensible and get the cheaper well-liked option, or bite the bullet, pay 3-4 times more for the FTA, hoping whatever incremental improvement is worth the large price difference. First world problems! :worried:

Things already sound terrific with the throw away ethernet cable I'm using in this particular system, so this would just be icing on the cake.

Change of plans, going in a different direction on the ethernet cable. I had decided to go with FTA Metis, but then, if I'm going to spend at that level, I'm going with my absolute favorite cables, Stealth Audio.

Stealth Audio Black Magic Ethernet v.21 Cat Ultra 8 ordered and incoming.

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #663 of 928
The Stealth cables are made to order, so it might be a few weeks but yes, I'll definitely post impressions.

I am also currently running some A/B comparisons, Stealth Audio USB T-Select v3 against Sablon Evo USB, Light Harmonic 2G, and Sablon 2020. And also some A/B comparisons with Stealth Indra XLR (I bought the Indra used, an older version, no chance I'd buy that cable new unless I won the lottery) comparing against Siltech 220i, Nordost Heimdall and MG Audio AG and will be posting some thoughts in a little while.

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #664 of 928
The Stealth cables are made to order, so it might be a few weeks but yes, I'll definitely post impressions.

I am also currently running some A/B comparisons, Stealth Audio USB T-Select v3 against Sablon Evo USB, Light Harmonic 2G, and Sablon 2020. And also some A/B comparisons with Stealth Indra XLR (I bought the Indra used, an older version, no chance I'd buy that cable new unless I won the lottery) comparing against Siltech 220i, Nordost Heimdall and MG Audio AG and will be posting some thoughts in a little while.

Looking forward to your sablon evo impressions/comparisons. was contemplating that cable a while back, but was told there were some stability issues with longer lengths(?). and also couldn't really decide between that and the FTA Sinope.

May 5, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #665 of 928
I also remain very curious about the FTA Sinope and almost went in that direction. Lots of Lampizator users go with FTA as it is supposed to be a good match. I wish it was available for demo.

May 6, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #666 of 928
Lol...

No I'm going to stay at this level. It starts to become silly and too much to move up further. And honestly at the power level there's only one more level in Cardas line, the clear beyond XL and I think that has HUGE conductors, for big monoblocks in a two-channel system.

No, this is a sweet spot for me. I'm happy to have found Cardas. Thanks my friend @Roasty ! They weren't even on my radar and I don't think I'd have found then without you!
Have you tested Synergistic Research Alive/Excite/Euphoria lineup?
Not the one below (Foundation)

I've the Foundation and Alive power cable, both were used on amp.
The Alive cable was significantly better than Foundation. It had very good control of bass, details were much more prominent.

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #667 of 928
I've just put on classifieds my 2m AudioQuest Tornado Source power cable with EU plugs. The cable is actually good, I like AudioQuest cords for source components. Just need shorter length after rearranging my gear. So if somebody wants to trade a 0,75m or 1m AQ Storm series cable for my 2m Tornado I'm open to suggestions.

May 11, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #668 of 928
Cardas clear power cord #2 arrived last week.

A odd and interesting development. The first clear power needed very little burn in. Maybe 20 hours. The new one has needed alot more. In fact it was really sort of confusing and concerning up till yesterday. It was very closed up and super congested, I was wondering if I had made a mistake of thinking more of a good thing(one Cardas clear power cord) would be better if I had two.

Well things have definitely taken a turn for the better. Everything I loved about the clear power had been added to both DAC & amp. The overall sound is dynamic with plenty of body and harmonic complexity. The speed and precision of the Weiss hasn't been slowed down at all. The overall sound has been enhanced and has depth and richness but no bloat or flab.

Cardas clear power, gets a big recommendation.

May 15, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #669 of 928
time to find out which i2s cable is the purplest. Furutech HFX-NCF vs Tubulus Concentus. I've really enjoyed the Furutech over the last 6 months, didn't really leave me wanting for anything compared to previous cables. I've been curious about the top tier cables like Audioquest Dragon, Tubulus Concentus, and Pink Faun, and was lucky enough to grab a secondhand Concentus.
IMG_20230515_181134__01.jpg

Also picked up Jcat's top SATA cable a while back. It's good, though the use case is much more limited so I doubt there's much interest in SATA cable comparisons here.

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #670 of 928
time to find out which i2s cable is the purplest. Furutech HFX-NCF vs Tubulus Concentus. I've really enjoyed the Furutech over the last 6 months, didn't really leave me wanting for anything compared to previous cables. I've been curious about the top tier cables like Audioquest Dragon, Tubulus Concentus, and Pink Faun, and was lucky enough to grab a secondhand Concentus.
IMG_20230515_181134__01.jpg

Also picked up Jcat's top SATA cable a while back. It's good, though the use case is much more limited so I doubt there's much interest in SATA cable comparisons here.

I'm waiting on my tubulus concentus to arrive. Will pit it up against the pink faun i2s.

May 15, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #671 of 928
Awesome, really interested in your thoughts on that comparison -- I was waffling between the Concentus and Pink Faun since they're so similarly priced. I made my choice based on the assumption that the Concentus would be more technical & the Pink Faun more musical.

May 22, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #673 of 928
Since I am now having fun with HQ Player and high rate DSD, I bought a Holo Red and decided to switch to USB. I have Supra Excalibur and I'm not a big fan of expensive USB cables, but audiophile curiosity is unbeatable. So I read some reviews and bought Mad Scientist Black Magic USB Ultra to try what a 10x more expensive USB cable can improve over already great Excalibur.

Simple packaging...

photo_2023-05-22 19.50.27.jpeg

and "very homemade" build quality:

photo_2023-05-22 19.50.30.jpeg

I have mixed feelings here. On the one hand, it's just awful. The €799 cable looks like a sloppy piece of work when the €64 cable is much prettier and way better packaged. On the other hand, the box will end up somewhere in the closet, and the cable will sit on the back of the audio gear, where no one sees it. In the end, I decided not to pay attention to the appearance, but just to listen. Black Magic cable is stiffer and not as convenient as a regular USB cable, but there are no particular problems with it, it bends enough to connect equipment even in a cramped shelf.

The audition took me by surprise and again left me with mixed feelings.

I have to admit that this is the first time that I hear such a noticeable difference between audiophile USB cables. I had various cables (Supra Excalibur, AudioQuest Diamond, Furutech et.c.) and while difference between "supermarket grade” and “audiophile cable” always was very noticeable, difference between two different "audio grade” cable never was so obvious and clear. I would easily win a bet on blindly distinguishing Supra and Mad Scientist cables.

What I liked about Black Magic Ultra:
- The soundstage feels more in front than around you. The sound seems to be less tied to the headphones
- Very nice mids. Voices sound very natural and pleasant to the ear

What I didn't like:
- While image positioning is better, the soundstage is not so spacious
- Mids are nice, but the rest of frequency range isn't nearly as good. Highs are muffed, lowest bass feels completely cut off
- Sound is too "soft". In comparison to Excalibur Black Magic Ultra is less dynamic and punchy

All in all, in my system this cable improved midrange and ruined almost everything else. More than a tenfold (12.4 to be exact) difference in price is not felt at all. The sound of the more expensive Black Magic Ultra cable wasn't technically better, it was "different". Fortunately, European Mad Scientist dealer is a great guy, so I just sent the cable back. Despite its ridiculously low(by high-end audio standards) price, I like the sound of the Supra Excalibur better.

P.S. Although I didn't like this cable, I was really impressed by the magnitude of the difference. Didn't expect it to be like that. I'll probably try some other high-end USB cables to see if something will suit my tastes better.

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #674 of 928
Excellent write up! Thanks for posting. Yes, USB cables can make a meaningful sonic difference and more expensive is not always better. I've bought, compared, sold so many USB cables over the years, I am hard pressed to remember them all... Stealth, Sablon, King Rex, Light Harmonic, Nordost, Audioquest, Mapleshade, Totaldac, Cardas, iFi, etc.

May 22, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #675 of 928
Had the Black Magic for a while mainly because it’s locally made in NZ. Sold it after a while as it was just another usb cable. The one that stood out for me was the Wireworld Platinum Starlight. There was so much detail that it took me a few days to get used to it. Would compare the difference it made for me to the headphone cable Danacable Lazuli Reference I had…in the end sold both as they were too extreme in their capabilities to carve out the tiniest detail in a recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back