High End Bluetooth Headphones
Jan 23, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #616 of 894
  ...only thing I don't necessarily agree with in my experience with them is the clamping!

I'm hoping as I wear them the clamping force will dissipate a bit. I'm stretching them around a cardboard box when not in use to hopefully loosen them a bit. I don't think it would bother me as much if they were pressing against my head like true around-ear headphones rather than against my ears. Maybe my ears are overly sensitive to this.

Also, on mine the battery always stays at 100% never goes down, so I guess we are both having issues with that (albeit slightly different ones)

Yeah, the Matrix2s also have a battery status, and the battery status doesn't work great for those either, so I'm thinking it may be an inherent Android/Bluetooth issue. What really bothered me with the Stances is that they just made a little sound and shut off without any other warning that the battery was getting low. All the other Bluetooth headphones I've tried have given some sort of warning (beeping, etc.). But this is my first battery cycle, so I'm hoping that was a fluke.

Jan 23, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #617 of 894

I really don't understand why you keep insisting that this is the case when all publicly available information suggests just the opposite:

1) Sony discontinued MDR-1R when MDR-1A were released (i.e. the latter replaced the former).  Hint: the same will happen with MDR-1RBTMK2 in the first half of this year.

2) There is a thread on here called "Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R", with not a single post in the 26-page discussion contradicting this statement.

3) Then there are professional reviews like this one, with the opening statement asserting that:

I presume the journalist got this information from Sony along with the review sample.

I could go on, but I don't see the pont...

If you know something we don't, would you mind sharing it with the rest of us?

You are also suggesting that the 1A series doesn't sound better than the 1R series.

Once again, this goes against all available evidence, including technical information such as the driver specs, as well as the professional and enthusiast comparisons (both here and on Amazon), with many of the 1R owners upgrading to the 1A after hearing them.

And these are just the passive versions.  The MDR-1ABT will have the advantage of improved electronics / active circuitry compared to last year's 1RBTMK2 (not to mention the inclusion of LDAC with a compatible source).  So, in theory at least, the improvement in the sound quality will be even greater.

And you still keep insisting that the 1ABT are NOT MEANT to sound better than the 1RBTMK2??

While I appreciate your dedication to the cause of finding the perfect bluetooth headphone, the fact that you are giving advice based on factually incorrect information does not help anyone.

P.S. Not sure what point you are making in regards to AptX.  It will not make bad headphones sound good.  But what it will do is give you the ability to listen to CD-quality FLAC without compression.  That's all.  If you only listen to MP3s then you shouldn't care about AptX as it won't make any discernible difference in this situation.

Ha, you should work for Sony. Because after reading  your post, you singlehandingly convince me to get the MDR-1ABT as soon as it hits the market!!

Also, your point on the aptx and how one benefits from it. Well, my Note 4 has a 128 gb class 10 sd card, and I got it crammed with Flac files. I got Guardians of the Galaxy, Kill Bill 1 & 2, and a zillion others all in FLAC. My Sony MK2 just babies my ears with smooth sweet clear sound while on bluetooth.. 

Again, thanks for your write up, I am on the MDR-1ABT like  hot on rice... 
gs1000.gif

Feb 4, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #618 of 894

I really don't understand why you keep insisting that this is the case when all publicly available information suggests just the opposite:

1) Sony discontinued MDR-1R when MDR-1A were released (i.e. the latter replaced the former).  Hint: the same will happen with MDR-1RBTMK2 in the first half of this year.

2) There is a thread on here called "Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R", with not a single post in the 26-page discussion contradicting this statement.

3) Then there are professional reviews like this one, with the opening statement asserting that:

I presume the journalist got this information from Sony along with the review sample.

You are also suggesting that the 1A series doesn't sound better than the 1R series.

Once again, this goes against all available evidence, including technical information such as the driver specs, as well as the professional and enthusiast comparisons (both here and on Amazon), with many of the 1R owners upgrading to the 1A after hearing them.

And these are just the passive versions.  The MDR-1ABT will have the advantage of improved electronics / active circuitry compared to last year's 1RBTMK2 (not to mention the inclusion of LDAC with a compatible source).  So, in theory at least, the improvement in the sound quality will be even greater.

And you still keep insisting that the 1ABT are NOT MEANT to sound better than the 1RBTMK2??

While I appreciate your dedication to the cause of finding the perfect bluetooth headphone, the fact that you are giving advice based on factually incorrect information does not help anyone.

P.S. Not sure what point you are making in regards to AptX.  It will not make bad headphones sound good.  But what it will do is give you the ability to listen to CD-quality FLAC without compression.  That's all.  If you only listen to MP3s then you shouldn't care about AptX as it won't make any discernible difference in this situation.

I'll chime in to second this. Everything you said is correct. Everything that Giogio person said is not.

Feb 4, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #619 of 894

Read my post again.
You very much misunderstood everything I've said.
I'll try to resume quickly: I've never ever ever ever said that one of these sounds better. I cannot, because i didn't try them! Holy Jesus...
I've even written it very clearly: the abt may sound better than the rbtmk2 or not, but not i nor you nor ANYBODY who did not try both has the right to open his mouth.
On paper all is possible.
Facts are not on paper.
I'm saying that two different lines are two different lines. They cannot be mixed. If you want to call something new successor of something old, do it. I only call successor a new model of the SAME line. Like a rbt mk3.
What you do is like calling the new Sennheiser momentum successor of the mm500x. They're not. They're a different set!

This is what i mean when i say that the abt are not "meant" to sound better. Maybe they will. But they are not a mk3. So, if they are better or not, must be tested. Side by side comparison.
Or it is all speculations. And I'm not interested in speculations. Nor in discussions like this.
I'm only interested in facts. And facts come ONLY from PERSONAL side by side comparison.

Feb 4, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #620 of 894
Read my post again.
You very much misunderstood everything I've said.
I'll try to resume quickly: I've never ever ever ever said that one of these sounds better. I cannot, because i didn't try them! Holy Jesus...
I've even written it very clearly: the abt may sound better than the rbtmk2 or not, but not i nor you nor ANYBODY who did not try both has the right to open his mouth.
On paper all is possible.
Facts are not on paper.
I'm saying that two different lines are two different lines. They cannot be mixed. If you want to call something new successor of something old, do it. I only call successor a new model of the SAME line. Like a rbt mk3.
What you do is like calling the new Sennheiser momentum successor of the mm500x. They're not. They're a different set!

This is what i mean when i say that the abt are not "meant" to sound better. Maybe they will. But they are not a mk3. So, if they are better or not, must be tested. Side by side comparison.
Or it is all speculations. And I'm not interested in speculations. Nor in discussions like this.
I'm only interested in facts. And facts come ONLY from PERSONAL side by side comparison.

I don't think this disagreement is really significant enough to warrant animosity, but people seem to be under the impression that the MDR-1A is indeed the successor to the MDR-1R. There's a thread on this forum about it. And Amazon's listing of the MDR-1R has the box under the initial description saying, "There is a newer model of this item." And it points the the MDR-1A.

Feb 8, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #621 of 894

I don't think this disagreement is really significant enough to warrant animosity, but people seem to be under the impression that the MDR-1A is indeed the successor to the MDR-1R. There's a thread on this forum about it. And Amazon's listing of the MDR-1R has the box under the initial description saying, "There is a newer model of this item." And it points the the MDR-1A.

Amazon also gives the MDR-10RBT as successor of the MDR-1RBT just because they are newer :)
But you are right. After all, successor of not, what is the point?
Let's try this thing and see how it sounds.

Feb 8, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #622 of 894
I'm a big fan of the Bose Soundlink BT headphones.  I spent several hours at Best Buy stores checking them out....

Other BT headphones sounded nice & sometimes better.

I did want to be carrying a big bulky set of headphones back & forth from home to work. So the biggest selling point for me with the Bose was the fact that they fold up for traveling.

In the end I used a Amazon gift card along with some $$ and bought mine from Amazon.

Feb 11, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #624 of 894
  I'm a big fan of the Bose Soundlink BT headphones.  I spent several hours at Best Buy stores checking them out....

Other BT headphones sounded nice & sometimes better.

I did want to be carrying a big bulky set of headphones back & forth from home to work. So the biggest selling point for me with the Bose was the fact that they fold up for traveling.

In the end I used a Amazon gift card along with some $$ and bought mine from Amazon.

I have found out that most of the ON EAR phones do fold up.. I am fan of Over The Ear BT phones. However, a situation has come up where I will have to accept some on the ear bt phones.

My Harman Kardon BT as showed in my sig, were my workout, running headphones. Simply because of their strong clamping force. However, they got busted up from several falls (running) several crashes(bicycle). However, Harman Kardon will replace them for me, only problem, they NO LONGER HAVE THE HARMAN KARDON BTs. And the only phones they can replace them with, which meet my requirements that they must have aptx, are the SYNCHROS S400BT,and they are on-ear.  This will be my first experience with on ear phones. Will see how it  goes..

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #625 of 894
Giogio, I've been lurking a bit following your posts here and on Amazon. Based on your reviews and comments, I made my decision to go with the Backbeat Pro's and have been very happy with their clarity and overall broad sound signature. They do push the highs at bit, but honestly, I like separation in music where there is a lot going on (maybe not so much for some classical). With that said, I've also just received the new Sennheiser Momentum 2.0's (wireless) and have posted my review of them on a related forum. Their sound to me is a little more compact and less bright, although I've yet to let them burn in. We'll see how they play out, but as of now, I'm sticking with the Plantronics. I've also heard a few Sony phones but have yet to be impressed -- the talk of these newer models has me a bit intrigued though. I hope they include some ANC, b/c as a frequent traveler, this is a must for me. But anyway, I wanted to say thanks for your direction with the Backbeat Pro's...I found your analysis to be spot on.

Feb 14, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #626 of 894

I haven't read all the way through the thread and sorry if I'm repeating something.  The Zik 2.0k have a 192hz processor (or something) compared to the original Zik's 44hz (CD) (or something like this), and this allows them to get away without APT-X.  APT-X is only really needed, IMO, if you are using it to watch TV.  Of course, my new tv will actually delay the picture for a Bluetooth Headphone (Vizio P-series - so, not high-end)  

I have been through computer hell trying to get Windows/Parallels to run on my Mac and lost my Lossless Music (It's still on a external) - For fun, I gave the iTunes Match a chance that I've had forever.  I bought the 2.0 Zik's and was blown away listening at 256 kbps, and I didn't have to adjust the volume all the time when I was listening to FLAC/Apple Lossless/etc.  HOWEVER, the right side earpiece on the Zik 2.0's made my ear hurt.  Sorry, but I ain't payin' $399ish for something that bothers me after 20 minutes.  

WHY CAN'T HEADPHONE MAKERS JUST US COMFORTABLE OVER-THE-EAR CUSHIONS THAT GO "OVER OUR EARS!"  That Blue Mo-Fi Ear Cushion looks super cool.

I have had the DAC/Headphone Amp/Senn 600 HD's/ etc., and I used to notice a HUGE difference, but the Zik 2.0's sound pretty darn good and really separate the music.  I felt bad because I ordered a pair the original Zik's to make sure I'm not losing my hearing, and sure enough, the original Zik's sounded like CRAP.  Between the mid's the high's there was a lot of distortion where the processor (or whatever) couldn't handle the signal.  Thanks goodness the right ear hissed, and I can return them without feeling bad.  

Also, if I'm not mistaken, 3.0 bluetooth sends more energy out is not compressed as much as 4.0 - This compression and efficiency help the 4.0 Bluetooth not drain your cell phone or headphones battery, but efficient usually takes away those "special sounds" and separation iPod's originally took away from us.  But, we are getting those sounds back.

I'm still looking for a lighter weight Bluetooth OVER the ear with active noise cancellation (light on the hissing) and premium sound (for BT).  Plus, I like to use it with my iPhone as well.  Any suggestions - I'm thinking about the Samsung Level, but 50 mm driver always seems muddy to me.  I, personally, like the 40 mm drivers so far.  I'll probably get another pair of Zik 2.0's but I'm open.       

Feb 14, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #627 of 894

I haven't read all the way through the thread and sorry if I'm repeating something.  The Zik 2.0k have a 192hz processor (or something) compared to the original Zik's 44hz (CD) (or something like this), and this allows them to get away without APT-X.  APT-X is only really needed, IMO, if you are using it to watch TV.  Of course, my new tv will actually delay the picture for a Bluetooth Headphone (Vizio P-series - so, not high-end)  

Hi, I am a newbie, so just in case I am wrong, I have an excuse!  
biggrin.gif

With that said, I think you are wrong on your assumption about aptx and only useful for tv listening. In fact, that is the first I ever heard that.

My understand for the use of apt x, is that is allows lossless/hi res audio/flac files to work across the bluetooth medium if you have aptx on your source and your headphones.
Example, regular bluetooth can only handle mp3 type files or lessor, but aptx can handle much larger flac files, which carries 2 to 3 times more data than mp3 files to be played between source and headphones when they both support aptx..

Again, the TV  and aptx is the first I have ever heard of that union. But, correct me if I am wrong. I have already stated that I am a newbie...
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #628 of 894
@KBGolfRunner:
If you're looking for comfortable BT headphones, then the Sony MDR-1RBT MK2 would probably a very good choice, but they don't have noise cancelling. Looks like the succeeding model, the MDR-1ABT, don't have NC either, but to be confirmed since they won't be out before spring.

Meanwhile I just came back from a business trip by train and was wearing my Plantronics Backbeat Pro for longer than usual and my right ear started to hurt. Will have to see how my new Sennheiser Momentum Wireless do, that got here on Friday. My next trip is already due next week, this time by airplane. I expect them to not hurt since they cover my ears better due to their oval shape.
Really loving the luxury look and the folding function, but soundwise they remind me of the Samsung Level Over, that means less bass than the Plantronics. I have really got used to the sound of the Plantronics. A lot of my listening consists of streaming via TuneIn Radio on my iPhone 6 and I feel that the Plantronics do better with those low quality sources than the Sennheiser. Well, I have 1 month until the Sennheiser will have to go back, unless they blow me away, so we'll see.

Feb 14, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #629 of 894
  @KBGolfRunner:
If you're looking for comfortable BT headphones, then the Sony MDR-1RBT MK2 would probably a very good choice, but they don't have noise cancelling. Looks like the succeeding model, the MDR-1ABT, don't have NC either, but to be confirmed since they won't be out before spring.

Meanwhile I just came back from a business trip by train and was wearing my Plantronics Backbeat Pro for longer than usual and my right ear started to hurt. Will have to see how my new Sennheiser Momentum Wireless do, that got here on Friday. My next trip is already due next week, this time by airplane. I expect them to not hurt since they cover my ears better due to their oval shape.
Really loving the luxury look and the folding function, but soundwise they remind me of the Samsung Level Over, that means less bass than the Plantronics. I have really got used to the sound of the Plantronics. A lot of my listening consists of streaming via TuneIn Radio on my iPhone 6 and I feel that the Plantronics do better with those low quality sources than the Sennheiser. Well, I have 1 month until the Sennheiser will have to go back, unless they blow me away, so we'll see.

Agree -- the Sennheiser M2 does sound similar the the Samsung Level Over. The M2 may have more push in the mids, but the bass response is similar. I want to love the Senn's, but honestly, their sound to me is compact and the mids are too pronounced for my ears. The Plantronics have more support on the lower end and are brighter. I'm flying with them in a few days, so hope I can avoid the dreaded sore ear syndrome. Let us know how you ultimately make out with your M2's.

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #630 of 894
Yeah, will do. Now I just read about problems with LTE in the M2 thread which could be the reason why I noticed weird dropouts when listening to streaming music on Friday. Would be an absolute deal breaker for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back