High End Bluetooth Headphones
Sep 8, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #421 of 894
Quote:
  Ah I see. I never had to worry about that as my amp has bluetooth capabilities. From the two you mentioned, going off the website the Saturn Pro seems more versatile being able to act as both transmitter and receiver. Pretty decent option if you ever need a receiver or want to pair two of them together to act as both. Also has the AVCRP profile and AAC codec which Priva doesn't. Better battery life too. The Priva has the option of connecting 2 headphones to it at the same time. Handy if you have a mate or family member frequently around watching with you. User replaceable battery I think. Both will play CD quality audio. The Hi Fi is just there for marketing. Just by going off that and assuming the performance is similar, it really comes down to whether you prefer the option of adding a second pair of headphones or the option of using it as a receiver.  I'd personally go the Saturn Pro as that gives the option of using it as a receiver if I want to say play songs from my phone through external speakers without connecting the phone (if I'm understanding it correctly). The option of connecting a second pair of headphones requires you to purchase another pair of bluetooth headphones (or get a mate to being theirs)! Though if you already have a good receiver then the Priva is the way to go.

Thanks noob2, that was really handy to read your take on it as I know even less about Bluetooth transmitters. I agree the Saturn Pro does seem more versatile. I don't actually own a stereo speaker anymore that I could use the receiver end in (I replaced it with a Bluetooth soundbar a little while back) so that receiver option is not so critical. I also don't own any receiver at the moment. That's good to know re CD / HiFi quality - that confused me. I was leaning towards the Priva for simplicity sake, and also the dual headphone and you can run it powered (plugged in). I read somewhere in quiet bits of movies or when paused the Saturn Pro can turn off sometimes and you have to reconnect etc. Having said that if they are much of a muchness, the versatility of the Saturn Pro might be better. Something for me to think about. Cheers mate.

Sep 9, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #422 of 894
  Quote:
Thanks noob2, that was really handy to read your take on it as I know even less about Bluetooth transmitters. I agree the Saturn Pro does seem more versatile. I don't actually own a stereo speaker anymore that I could use the receiver end in (I replaced it with a Bluetooth soundbar a little while back) so that receiver option is not so critical. I also don't own any receiver at the moment. That's good to know re CD / HiFi quality - that confused me. I was leaning towards the Priva for simplicity sake, and also the dual headphone and you can run it powered (plugged in). I read somewhere in quiet bits of movies or when paused the Saturn Pro can turn off sometimes and you have to reconnect etc. Having said that if they are much of a muchness, the versatility of the Saturn Pro might be better. Something for me to think about. Cheers mate.

Well if the Saturn Pro does tend to disconnect during quiet scenes and that can't be fixed then I'd definitely go the Priva. Would hate to have to constantly get up to reconnect the device and then rewind and catch what was said. Also there could be the risk that it won't reconnect and play properly unless you shut everything off. Something I've had trouble with in the past with cheaper bluetooth headphones. Where do you plan on purchasing it from? DIdn't see a local shop with either rmodel.

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #423 of 894

Well if the Saturn Pro does tend to disconnect during quiet scenes and that can't be fixed then I'd definitely go the Priva. Would hate to have to constantly get up to reconnect the device and then rewind and catch what was said. Also there could be the risk that it won't reconnect and play properly unless you shut everything off. Something I've had trouble with in the past with cheaper bluetooth headphones. Where do you plan on purchasing it from? DIdn't see a local shop with either rmodel.

Good advice, thanks. Me too, that doesn't sound like the best scenario - especially if it turns off when TV / Movie paused for a little while. I think given those points and it seems to be made for TV I might stick with the Priva. I might do a little more hunting for a Bluetooth 4 aptX low latency transmitter before buying the Priva.
I think they must be relatively newish as I can't find many online shops selling them and there are very few reviews compared to the Saturn Pro. You can buy the Priva direct from Avantree or there is one supplier selling on eBay and on Amazon. I'll confirm what I end up doing. Thanks noob2

Sep 13, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #424 of 894
I'm not sure if it has been mentioned here, but in case anyone is wondering, the Logitech UE 9000's do not work over AptX. They're actually rendered unusable (no sound) when paired with an AptX device. If you're interested, I posted a very detailed response on a thread at the Logitech support forums here.

It's too bad because I think they sound absolutely brilliant, both in active and passive modes. The build quality is superb and while design is subjective, I think they look amazing.

I've only used them for a few moments, but I might keep the UE 9000's to use as wired cans. Although I have a pair of UE 6000's which are the AAA battery, wired equivalent of the 9000's. So the deciding factor will be whether it's worth keeping the 9000's for the rechargeable battery.

I've gone with the Sony MDR-1RBTMK2 as a replacement BT set for now. I'll decide the fate of the UE 9000's when the Sony's arrive sometime next week.

Sep 21, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #425 of 894
Nice thread!

I am still undecided as to what to do.

I have a range of up to about £350 and I need the following to be fufilled:

-Good for hip-hop 97% of what I listen to
-Good iPhone controls (forwards/backwards, pause, answer calls. Siri integration will be a major plus)
-Microphone has to be A+, or as close as possible (I have big shoulders and they get tired holding a phone for too long)

Other benficial features I would like, are as sturdy as possible (metal), plain black/design.

It maybe a lot, and maybe even worthwhile going wired again, but really didn't want to. I love being wireless in the gym.

I have been looking at the Sony 1BT and 10BT, but many have said they're almost baseless. The others I have been looking at are the Bose SoundLink On Ears: http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-and-personal-audio/headphones-and-headsets/wireless-headphones/soundlink-oe-headphones/

They pretty much hit the spot from what I can see, except for being good for hip-hop (there are no reviews yet). One of the best things I would like to try out is the caller-ID which is a common over-sight in many BT headphones.

So at the minute I think the Bose are on my hitlist, second the Sony 1BT. But there doesn't seem to be much choice. Maybe I should go wireless IEMs?

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #426 of 894
  Nice thread!

I am still undecided as to what to do.

I have a range of up to about £350 and I need the following to be fufilled:

-Good for hip-hop 97% of what I listen to
-Good iPhone controls (forwards/backwards, pause, answer calls. Siri integration will be a major plus)
-Microphone has to be A+, or as close as possible (I have big shoulders and they get tired holding a phone for too long)

Other benficial features I would like, are as sturdy as possible (metal), plain black/design.

It maybe a lot, and maybe even worthwhile going wired again, but really didn't want to. I love being wireless in the gym.

I have been looking at the Sony 1BT and 10BT, but many have said they're almost baseless. The others I have been looking at are the Bose SoundLink On Ears: http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/home-and-personal-audio/headphones-and-headsets/wireless-headphones/soundlink-oe-headphones/

They pretty much hit the spot from what I can see, except for being good for hip-hop (there are no reviews yet). One of the best things I would like to try out is the caller-ID which is a common over-sight in many BT headphones.

So at the minute I think the Bose are on my hitlist, second the Sony 1BT. But there doesn't seem to be much choice. Maybe I should go wireless IEMs?

Since you're using an iPhone (in my opinion) your options increase greatly because you don't have to worry about the wireless headset supporting AptX (headsets of which are far and few between, plus at an increased cost generally, although AptX is becoming more common). iPhone's A2DP Bluetooth profile supports only the default SBC codec and AAC, which are fairly close performers compared to the much higher quality AptX codec.

More importantly, you said hip-hop, which can decisively help point you in the right direction; basshead cans! The only problem is that they tend to sacrifice sound quality in general. It's tough to find a good wireless headset package, but even more so when you're looking for a specific type of sound.

To start off, I'll just say consider the $199 Sony MDR-XB950BT/B (USA link), called "Extra Bass Bluetooth Headset". They have everything you want at half your budget. The only thing that could be potentially added is noise cancelling. We don't have much information on them because they just released less than a week ago, so you might want to hold off for reviews.

Also, the $399 Logitech UE 9000's are a phenomenal headset. They've got loads of bass and impressive sound quality. They're passively sealed, on-ear, rechargeable, noise cancelling, with a metal band and accents. A little heavy but the build quality and audio quality are there. Tyll over at Inner Fidelity (a highly regarded reviewer here on Head-Fi) published an article giving them great review (click here). See a quote from the review below:

[With active noise cancelling enabled] the bass is markedly more present in the mix, and markedly more loose and bloated. Additionally, the mid-range is somewhat more recessed, highlighting the presence range which remains at previous levels, making for a "harder" sounding presentation. There's now a more "U" shaped frequency response, rather than the nicely coherent and balanced response of passive mode. However, while it doesn't necessarily make the audiophile in me happy, and I think the EQ changes are a step too far, I also think they may actually improve the listening experience for movies and video on portable devices with a bit more oomph and intelligibility in loud environments.
[...]
[UE 9000]'s Bluetooth performance, however, was the best I've heard to date, so it's going up on the Wall of Fame as a stand-out performer for those who want freedom from the wire, and a dandy headset for your calls.

It's hard to gauge the sound quality of Bose because they do make a lot of duds, but they also hit the mark amazingly hard with some of their specialized products. Two of which come to mind are the popular noise cancelling QC25 (best in class for NC, but mediocre SQ, just pretend you're paying for the NC lol) and the absolutely stellar little SoundLink Mini BT speakers which are incredible performers for their price and especially their size.

I only bring this up because you mentioned them, but your budget takes the Sony MDR-10BT off the list, since the Sony MDR-1RBT is a large upgrade. Nonetheless, the MDR-1RBT are not the best choice for thumping hip-hop. Don't get me wrong, they have very-very impressive sound quality courtesy of their 40mm High Res Audio driver (I'm talking about the follow-up 1RBT MK2 specifically, but the original is great, too). However, you will come up short on bass. The 1RBT are more audiophile-like than basshead-like. There is a great Gizmodo AU review (click here) if you're interested. The reviewer says "The general tone of these headphones is that they are balanced enough to not favour any one note too much", in other words specifically for you, don't look here for bass.

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #427 of 894
I've gone with the Sony MDR-1RBTMK2 as a replacement BT set for now. I'll decide the fate of the UE 9000's when the Sony's arrive sometime next week.

Great info ObsidianGT.
Have you received your MK2's yet? If so, what do you think? I am heavily leaning towards the MK2's but its hard without trying - and I got sidetracked for a bit on wanting Bluetooth 4 and being away. Looking at the market, I think BT 3 with atpX for now is fine. Thanks for any help. I am looking to buy next week.

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #428 of 894
Great info ObsidianGT.
Have you received your MK2's yet? If so, what do you think? I am heavily leaning towards the MK2's but its hard without trying - and I got sidetracked for a bit on wanting Bluetooth 4 and being away. Looking at the market, I think BT 3 with atpX for now is fine. Thanks for any help. I am looking to buy next week.

I received the Japanese market Sony MDR-1RBTMK2 on Saturday and I've been listening to them nonstop each chance I get (which is only about 3-4 hours a day unfortunately, but still a good amount).

Headphones can sometimes be a burden to me and I oftentimes find myself opting for a sound system to cut the cord and get some freedom at my desk at the office and home. This is despite the fact that I have a couple of decent wired cans. Wireless was a big deal for me but I went in to this knowing there would be compromises over a comparably priced wired set.

Well, now I'm thinking what compromises? I've never loved using a headphone set as much as these, ever. Wired or wireless but the fact they're wireless makes them that much more impressive.

They're incredibly comfortable and just the right size. There is metal in the construction but it doesn't weigh you down. They're surprisingly lightweight which adds greatly to the comfort factor. Convenience is a consideration of comfort as well. The playback and volume controls work via the AVRCP profile and are easy to use. There is a small volume rocker like you'd find on a smartphone and a combo play/pause push button that toggles up or down with a pleasant spring action for track skip/back. Much better than click buttons. Pairing was also convenient via NFC. I just pressed my Galaxy S5 back against the NFC logo on the headphones (the right ear cup I think) and my phone showed a prompt, "Pair with MDR-1RBT?". So easy.

They look great, too. I like sleek, modern styling and these have it. They're stealthy black but for the eye-catching red anodized aluminum strip. The micro USB and 3.5 mm input port have small attached rubber covers that help keep it sleek. The hinges are sturdy and the extensions have a positive click to them.

While they are not noise canceling, they are passively sealed and almost no normal level noise comes in at all. To clarify, I'm using them at a typical office which has phones ringing and laser printers going all day nearby me.

The sound quality is incredibly good. They have a beautifully balanced sound and have made all my music "come alive". I'm hearing little sounds I've never heard before and I'm finding myself scrambling for my old tracks to reexperience them. I go through phases with my listening, right now I'm focused on vocal heavy EDM but I'm throwing all kinds of genres at them and they're handling them all. Although, in fairness they're not the best fit for hip-hop or tracks produced with emphasis on bass and deemphasis on mids and highs. So bassheads should look elsewhere (the Logitech UE 9000 for example). Even so, the sound out of these is beautiful and I happily throw hip-hop at them because the sound is so damn good.

For being Bluetooth, the sound quality is unreasonably good (yes, unreasonably). One just doesn't expect any wireless cans to reach audiophile levels, yet these easily surpass the venerated Zik. I would rate them 10/10 for that reason alone. I've never heard wireless sound this good and I've tested a lot. I'm sure AptX has a lot to do with it as well. You have to have good input to get good output.

I haven't had a chance to test the battery performance much but I've yet to run out of juice after a full charge on the day I got them. I think that's about 25 hours playback at this point. The battery is rated for 30 hours. I left them on tonight on accident. I'll see tomorrow how the standby time affected the battery remaining.

I'm so very happy and I just love these wonderful cans. Haven't thought that since the last bachelor party I attended!

Sep 29, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #430 of 894
I'm so very happy and I just love these wonderful cans. Haven't thought that since the last bachelor party I attended!

Ha ha - that's a hilarious foot note.

Thanks for the detailed review @ObsidianGT - sold! I was sitting on the Sony MDR-1RBTMK2's for a little while and this pushed me over the edge. Many thanks. I just purchased a set from DWI per my post on page 28. I think they will be excellent for me.

Thanks again @n00b2 for all your help - I greatly appreciate your input.

Next up - the bluetooth transmitter for listening to the TV audio using these headphones. Out of interest, have you tried doing that with your MK2's @ObsidianGT?

Oct 4, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #431 of 894

Thanks for the detailed review @ObsidianGT - sold! I was sitting on the Sony MDR-1RBTMK2's for a little while and this pushed me over the edge. Many thanks. I just purchased a set from DWI per my post on page 28. I think they will be excellent for me.

Next up - the bluetooth transmitter for listening to the TV audio using these headphones. Out of interest, have you tried doing that with your MK2's @ObsidianGT?

No worries. Glad I was able to help you decide. Let us know what you think about them once they arrive.

Oct 4, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #432 of 894
Philips Fidelio M2BT, announced at IFA 2014.

BT 4.0 apt-X, AAC,  SBC,  I stumbled upon them  looking to get
around the Head-Fi Sony MDR-1RBTMK2 mass hysteria:)

Any chance these will be the sonic and technological MK2 beaters?

I noticed that there was a paucity of information even on the previous M1BT in America, 
while reviewers on amazon.co.uk/.de seem to look at them very favorably.

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/m/m2btbk_00/m2btbk_00_pss_.://download.p4c.philips.com/files/m/m2btbk_00/m2btbk_00_pbr_aen.pdf

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/m/m2btbk_00/m2btbk_00_pbr_aen.pdf

Even the cynics at What Hi-fi seem to have fallen in love:
http://www.whathifi.com/philips/fidelio-m2bt/review

40mm drivers/closed-back On-ear, Deluxe memory foam cushions, NFC
Sound
• Frequency response: 7 - 23 500 Hz
• Impedance: 16 Ohm
• Sensitivity: 107 dB
• Speaker diameter: 40 mm
• Maximum power input: 40 mW
• Distortion: < 0.1% THD
• Acoustic system: Closed
• Diaphragm: PET
• Magnet type: Neodymium
• Type: Dynamic
Connectivity
• Cable Connection: Oxygen free cable (1.1m)
• Audio Connections: 3.5mm Line in
• Bluetooth profiles: A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, HSP
• Maximum range: Up to 15 mPower
• Battery Type: LI-Polymer
• Music playtime: 10 hrs
• Standby time: 350 hrs
• Talk time: 10 hrs

Oct 4, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #433 of 894

Glad to help. Just sharing my opinion, that's all. :)

I do not have an AptX BT transmitter that works with my A/V setup so I cannot comment on that. Although, I've been looking. I've found that the price range for those are around $35 on Amazon USA. I'll probably pick one up soon and report back.

Philips Fidelio M2BT, announced at IFA 2014.

BT 4.0 apt-X, AAC,  SBC,  I stumbled upon them  looking to get
around the Head-Fi Sony MDR-1RBTMK2 mass hysteria:)

Any chance these will be the sonic and technological MK2 beaters?

I noticed that there was a paucity of information even on the previous M1BT in America, 
while reviewers on amazon.co.uk/.de seem to look at them very favorably.

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/m/m2btbk_00/m2btbk_00_pss_.://download.p4c.philips.com/files/m/m2btbk_00/m2btbk_00_pbr_aen.pdf

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/m/m2btbk_00/m2btbk_00_pbr_aen.pdf

Even the cynics at What Hi-fi seem to have fallen in love:
http://www.whathifi.com/philips/fidelio-m2bt/review

I'm curious about Fidelio but I've never experienced any. I know the X1 is highly recommended, and people at head-fi.org are salivating over the new X2 that's coming out.

It looks like that Fidelio M2BT is on-ear, as opposed to the Sony MDR-1RBTMK2 which are over-the-ear. That makes it hard to compare them, I think.

Oct 5, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #434 of 894
Nuf said, just by pure luck snagged a JP market Sony MK2 set from a third party seller on amazon.co.jp using Tenso for package forwarding, we exchanged Japanese emails me using Google Translate  and made sure he would exchange if defective. One thing I totally enjoy with the Japanese folk is how extremely polite they are, I get thank you cards (beautiful ones) with roughly every other of my SACD orders. Can't wait to experience Google Music 320 kbps through these. 

Oct 5, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #435 of 894
Regarding the Philips Fidelio bluetooth headphones, there seems to be very little information on them. I really wanted to try the M1BT but couldn't find a local reputed seller and most that raved about them didn't really compare them to other high end bluetooth headphones. There were a few good reviews earlier in the thread I believe. The M2BT is looking really good. Would be interesting to see how the on ear would compare to say other over ear ones like the Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back