High End Bluetooth Headphones
Apr 22, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #137 of 894
I'd assume it's automatic, I'm not 100% sure, as my PC doesn't tell me, but based on birarda's post it seems to be automatic. I dunno if there's a way to check on Win7 with my adapter

Neither my phone nor tablet support apt-x, so I can't really test with those sadly

Any BT Adapter with CSR chipset and Harmony drivers should raise an alert in bottom right-corner like "You're now connected to an apt-X headphone" or something like that. This is in addition to any "bluetooth connected" messages. I'll post a screenshot later when I get home, hopefully my S1's will be waiting. :D

Apr 22, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #138 of 894

I'd assume it's automatic, I'm not 100% sure, as my PC doesn't tell me, but based on birarda's post it seems to be automatic. I dunno if there's a way to check on Win7 with my adapter

Neither my phone nor tablet support apt-x, so I can't really test with those sadly

Seems to activate automatically. OS X is reporting that it is using aptX with the S1s for me.

So, it is working. so far these S1s seems like a winner..

Apr 22, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #139 of 894
  MDR-10RBTs are back on sale for $180 across multiple retailers in US. I think they'll sound comparable to the Pendulumics but look nicer to me. Returning my Pendulumics 

I had a chance to have the Sony MDR 10RBT for a while and for the money they are good. I got them on sale for $150.. They have aptx, and can play Hi Res Audio files when wired. As far as SQ, they were good, not that good to give specifics, but I can give a comparison of the MDR 10RBT to the other two headphones I own. They are the Harman Kardon BT, and the  Sony MDR 1RBT MK2..

Right off the bat, I am going to tell you the Sony MDR 1RBTMK2, is in a different class, but they cost twice and some of the MDR 10RBT.  So on their price level, I compared the MDR 10RBT to the Harmon Kardon BTs, to me, and a couple of my co-workers the Sony MDR 10RBT was slighty better. I think they are on the same level, performance wise and price wise with the Pendulumics..

Be nice if you could have them both and do a comparison listening to one right after another..IMO, I think they both are good, and one couldn't' go wrong with either.. 

Apr 22, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #140 of 894
  I had a chance to have the Sony MDR 10RBT for a while and for the money they are good. I got them on sale for $150.. They have aptx, and can play Hi Res Audio files when wired. As far as SQ, they were good, not that good to give specifics, but I can give a comparison of the MDR 10RBT to the other two headphones I own. They are the Harman Kardon BT, and the  Sony MDR 1RBT MK2..

Right off the bat, I am going to tell you the Sony MDR 1RBTMK2, is in a different class, but they cost twice and some of the MDR 10RBT.  So on their price level, I compared the MDR 10RBT to the Harmon Kardon BTs, to me, and a couple of my co-workers the Sony MDR 10RBT was slighty better. I think they are on the same level, performance wise and price wise with the Pendulumics..

Be nice if you could have them both and do a comparison listening to one right after another..IMO, I think they both are good, and one couldn't' go wrong with either.. 

Yeah, I have a line on a pair of used 1RBTMK2s for a great price, but they're across the country and I'd have to get a friend to buy them and then ship them to me. I'd be worried about getting scammed and paying ~$250 to end up with a pair of not-working beautiful headphones. 

Apr 22, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #141 of 894
  Yeah, I have a line on a pair of used 1RBTMK2s for a great price, but they're across the country and I'd have to get a friend to buy them and then ship them to me. I'd be worried about getting scammed and paying ~$250 to end up with a pair of not-working beautiful headphones. 

To tell the truth, with $250, you are 5/6ths of the price for brand new MDR 1RBTMK2.. I paid $309 + $25 for shipping, I think they came from Hong Kong.  No matter, shipping took 9 days after I made the order. That is fast overseas shipping. Now I look and the same vendor has the MK2s for $305... Also, they have the Sony MDR 10RBT for $269, go figure..So, before I would go for the used set for $250, I would add the extra $50 or $75 and get a new set..

beerchug.gif

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #142 of 894

To tell the truth, with $250, you are 5/6ths of the price for brand new MDR 1RBTMK2.. I paid $309 + $25 for shipping, I think they came from Hong Kong.  No matter, shipping took 9 days after I made the order. That is fast overseas shipping. Now I look and the same vendor has the MK2s for $305... Also, they have the Sony MDR 10RBT for $269, go figure..So, before I would go for the used set for $250, I would add the extra $50 or $75 and get a new set..

beerchug.gif

Mind pointing me in the direction of the vendor?

Apr 22, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #143 of 894

Mind pointing me in the direction of the vendor?

With pleasure. 
wink.gif

Not only that, they are gray market here in the USA. and Sony USA doesn't take of the warranty. So, I researched the vendor, and researched how they handled the warranty from overseas. Everything turned out good. They have requirements for the warranty being handled, such as, you must return the item with all the original packing. If the rare chance you need warranty service, you pay the shipping back to the vendor, and from that point, the vendors takes over. The will in turn ship the item back to Sony, retrieve it back from Sony, and ship it back to you. I have seen feedback where this has happened and all parties satisfied.

The vendor is accessory jack.. Google it, and the website will come up.. Back to the Sony 10RBT. like we both said, they are good, but the MK2s, reach another level on all fronts.. 

Apr 22, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #144 of 894
Although I'm planning on returning the S1s, I will say that I'd recommend bluetooth headphones to anyone thinking about it.
It's been incredibly refreshing to not have a cable coming out of my ears today.

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #145 of 894
  Although I'm planning on returning the S1s, I will say that I'd recommend bluetooth headphones to anyone thinking about it.
It's been incredibly refreshing to not have a cable coming out of my ears today.

I think quality bluetooth headphones will be the new kid on the block.. :)

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #146 of 894
@LiteKirby - this is the message that should pop up when you're connected to an apt-X enabled headphone:

Note the separate bluetooth connection message in foreground.

So, just spent some time w/the S1 and here are my preliminary impressions (which pretty much aligns with LK's so far):

Build Quality - Seems sturdy enough although I really dislike the plastic parts, it neither feels very high quality nor does it exude a feeling of precision molding as there are flared burrs around certain edges. The leather band on top is similar in setup to the HK BT except that the stitching is opened and exposing the innards which is a little unsightly. I believe the ear pads use protein leather but there are what looks to be punctures or tears in certain spots that mate to the plastic. The three-position switch in the right ear cup is loose (unlike the left-one) and rattles if shaken. I do like the solid metal pieces that mate with the arms for the cups which you can extend through four nice and solid detents on each side.

Comfort - Alas my fears are confirmed in that the headband really pushes down on the top of my head and is a bit uncomfortable for me. The clamping force is also a bit strong so coupled with the non-too pliable foam used, it creates a bit of pressure around my ears. These are touted as circumaural but my the bottom of the pads rests on my ear lobes (doesn't really create any pain though unlike with some cans). 

Sound - If you've read my previous write-up on BT can's I've experienced to date, you'll know I'm not a fan of forward mid's which the S1 exhibits in abundance unfortunately (at least in BT mode). Using iTune's manual EQ, I'd need to drop 500Hz 3 ticks (-9DB) and 1K by a tick (-3DB) to get at least comfortable with the sound. The bass and treble are also slightly recessed as well. I gave wired mode a quick listen and it did sound much better (although haven't spent enough time to discern difference with and without the Amp).

Overall can't say I'm too impressed thus far but it's still early so I'll see if I can warm up to these but will definitely be contacting them re; the issues I cited in the Build Quality section. 

Apr 23, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #147 of 894
Hm, I don't get pop ups like that, nor do I even have a bluetooth icon in my taskbar. It shows up if I search in the Search Bar, but nothing comes up. Weird.

As for wired vs wireless, I think if it's unamped, the sound is the same, however wired amp amplifies the signal and adds EQ which seems to make it from a mid centered headphone to a bit of a more 'balanced' sound, though still fairly forward with mids

Edit: Gonna try with my Orico, it apparently has more support for being seen as an actual bluetooth device with pairing mode and stuff, not just a bluetooth output like the D1, and the disc comes with the CSR Harmony drivers so, here's hoping :D

Edit 2: Success! Now I've got more control over it and 100% confirmation that it's on apt-x. Neat.

Apr 23, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #148 of 894
For anybody still on the fence on the S1s, I'd really recommend you put your money elsewhere. While they're good sounding cans, I'd be seriously worried about getting any support if anything ever goes wrong with them.

I reached out to them 24 hrs ago to start an RMA and have heard nothing back from them, via the official contact form and on twitter.

Apr 23, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #149 of 894
I think that's the biggest issue really, is if you do need to contact them, it's a bit slow

If you're confident in the headphones themselves, they're definitely nice, I've not heard any other bluetooth headphones, but they're, imo, worth the asking price. They do need a bit of EQ to sound their best imo, unless you like a very mid centered and relaxed highs/bass headphone

But yeah, the contact is a bit slow

Looking up the 10RBT and the MK2, I noticed the 10RBT support aptx bujt the MK2 don't? Or does it just not list it but they do?

Even if it's just for easier customer support and stuff, it may be worth the extra amount for some people

That said, I'll be keeping my S1's for sure, just gotta EQ them when used, but that's something I can deal with

Apr 23, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #150 of 894
The MK2s definitely have aptX as per the codec section on the sony website.

http://www.sony-asia.com/product/mdr-1rbtmk2

To me the biggest problem with the MK2s is availability and warranty. If something were to go wrong with them you've got to ship them back to an intermediary seller that then deals with Sony Asia. I'd rather not deal with that hassle. 

I'm hoping when my 10RBTs show up that I'm happy with them and I can stop thinking about the MK2s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back