High end Bakoon headphone amp Japan version discussion thread and Impression Thread
Oct 31, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #181 of 197
I tried but couldnt find that info as well. Someone told me it uses sigma-delta as well.

Agree with you. Battery for desktop chain is a no no for me too. Thats why i never look at HPA-21.

Anyway I contacted pricejapan quite a while ago to get firm pricing on the japanese bakoon dac. It is very very costly. For that kind of money, I'd settle for a yggy with rca. I dont think it's worth it just for the satri-link.

I can only say that Bakoon's prices are crazy. But after hearing HPA-21, I became a believer. Though I'm not that sure if I'd go after a DAC by this manufacture and I'm thinking about Yggdrasil as well.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Oct 31, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #183 of 197
The real benefit is the SATRI circuit, which being current source, it can only be succesfully used with planar headphones (flat impedance line).
Dynamic headphones like HD800, HD600, etc (everything with a non perfectly linear impedance) will sound like @ss out of the "current jack" ("SATRI circuit").

A DAC with a current source circuit ("SATRI" as Bakoon calls it) will benefit enormously from the superiority of the amp for planar headphones, being this a complete system approach.

The problems are the batteries that need 73 years, a Srajan Ebaen poem and genuine german laughs to fully charge after some hours of use and the wonderful (read with strong irony) and now discontinued ESS 9018 DAC chips.
If HPA-21 had a a linear power supply like their Bakoon Japan products, and DAC-21 had decent sounding Delta Sigma chips (Wolfson, Cirrus Logic, Burr Brown...anything but not Sabre) and again, a linear power supply, I would seriously consider both for a mega planar rig...but I'm a special snowflake...I didn't make enough money to consider buying those things throwing money to the first thing I saw...

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #184 of 197
I realise this is a long shot, but can any old school Bakoon users offer a comparison on HPA-21 vs HDA-5210mk3 or SCA-7511 mk3?

I'm a big fan of the HPA-21, and if one of the Japanese variants offers the same tonality without having to worry about the battery, that would be neato.

May 29, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #185 of 197
Hi Guys,

So I received my Bakoon 5230 mk2 and have paired it with a Mojo2, Thanks to the members that suggested this.... So far its pretty nice I must say. But now its Headphone time, Currently I have some Mcintosh mhp1000, I was going to sell these as they just never sounded great, But plugged into the Bakoon they really sound different than I heard before, I have some HIFIMan Sundara and Some Audioquest Nighthawks. But Looking to upgrade as before getting the Bakoon I was in Australia and demo the HD800s and Audeze LCD-3, For me the Hd800 were alittle sharp and edgy, The LCD-3 had better bass and Warmer vocals, but I know some of this could be the amp etc, So interested in what you guys have experienced and liked. Kennerton I know is one, but getting a pair to NZ would be a tough goal I think....

Cheers Scott.
image0 3.jpeg

May 29, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #186 of 197
Hi Guys,

So I received my Bakoon 5230 mk2 and have paired it with a Mojo2, Thanks to the members that suggested this.... So far its pretty nice I must say. But now its Headphone time, Currently I have some Mcintosh mhp1000, I was going to sell these as they just never sounded great, But plugged into the Bakoon they really sound different than I heard before, I have some HIFIMan Sundara and Some Audioquest Nighthawks. But Looking to upgrade as before getting the Bakoon I was in Australia and demo the HD800s and Audeze LCD-3, For me the Hd800 were alittle sharp and edgy, The LCD-3 had better bass and Warmer vocals, but I know some of this could be the amp etc, So interested in what you guys have experienced and liked. Kennerton I know is one, but getting a pair to NZ would be a tough goal I think....

Cheers Scott.
image0 3.jpeg
Congrats. If you found HD800s edgy, then you're going to want to go for HD600. On 5230/5520, it's simply a magical pairing and will show you an HD600 you've never heard before. The 5230 will drive them with ease and authority. Be sure to set your Mojo 2 to line level 2v.

May 29, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #187 of 197
Hello i've been a long time lurker but just yesterday i got PRE-7610Mk3 from my good friend.

Actually yesterday was not my first time trying this amp but last time i tried it i don't remember it being this good. I guess the 7610 is very revealing to the source material ( last time i tried it was 10 year ago and the best DAC we got is Centrance DACmini ). This amp is easily my favorite amp right now for driving ZMF Verite

May 29, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #188 of 197
Hello i've been a long time lurker but just yesterday i got PRE-7610Mk3 from my good friend.

Actually yesterday was not my first time trying this amp but last time i tried it i don't remember it being this good. I guess the 7610 is very revealing to the source material ( last time i tried it was 10 year ago and the best DAC we got is Centrance DACmini ). This amp is easily my favorite amp right now for driving ZMF Verite

Looks like should treat your friend good japanese food to celebrate lol. What type of cable you use with Verite?

Rockna DAC is definitely synergize well with various ZMF headphones.

I realise this is a long shot, but can any old school Bakoon users offer a comparison on HPA-21 vs HDA-5210mk3 or SCA-7511 mk3?

I'm a big fan of the HPA-21, and if one of the Japanese variants offers the same tonality without having to worry about the battery, that would be neato.

Never tried HPA-21. However based on what I remember, HDA5210 MK3 is more energetic, forward, thicker notes through all spectrum, and more narrow soundstage. SCA-7511 MK3 is a little more refine, more laidback, more spacious, still balance-warm like other bakoon, but punch/bite not as hard as HDA5210MK3. Power is bigger with 5210.

For most Planar I like to pair with 5210Mk3 more, while SCA-7511Mk3 excel more for most dynamic driver I tried.

Last edited:
May 29, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #189 of 197
Never tried HPA-21. However based on what I remember, HDA5210 MK3 is more energetic, forward, thicker notes through all spectrum, and more narrow soundstage. SCA-7511 MK3 is a little more refine, more laidback, more spacious, still balance-warm like other bakoon, but punch/bite not as hard as HDA5210MK3. Power is bigger with 5210.

For most Planar I like to pair with 5210Mk3 more, while SCA-7511Mk3 excel more for most dynamic driver I tried.
Thank you. My question was actually from last year, and since then I've been through the bulk of Bakoon amps! Although I've yet to try 7511, though would like to.

5210MK4 remains my "daily driver" amp - a dynamic, musical, magical amp that is really quite special.

May 29, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #191 of 197
May 29, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #192 of 197
Looks like should treat your friend good japanese food to celebrate lol. What type of cable you use with Verite?

Rockna DAC is definitely synergize well with various ZMF headphones.
What a coincidence i'm also in the mood for a nice japanese dining! I'm currently using ALO Hybrid cable for my Verite Open

Yes Rockna Wavelight is very very good with ZMF and Focal headphones. Using Wavelight as a DAC made me realize that Bakoon is simply a superb amplifier

Thank you. My question was actually from last year, and since then I've been through the bulk of Bakoon amps! Although I've yet to try 7511, though would like to.

5210MK4 remains my "daily driver" amp - a dynamic, musical, magical amp that is really quite special.
Hi have you compared 5210Mk4 vs Mk3 or any other Bakoon amps? I still remember the Mk3 as a very dynamic and lively amplifier

Jun 19, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #195 of 197
Have anyone tried RCA to Satri converter for their DAC to Bakoon amps? I use DAC with RCA out, wondering if i use SATRI Input to the amp will the sound change significantly

https://exclusive-audio.jp/products/stx
I use these which do the same thing https://m.smartstore.naver.com/bakoon/products/5099546197

In terms of sound difference, Satri input has much blacker background and the overall presentation is more refined than voltage. I don't know if it's significant but absolutely worth it just for the black background in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back