High End audiophile products - not many differences to cheap solutions ?
Apr 30, 2015 at 3:34 AM Post #16 of 34
  Of course.

Just like with pictures, a realistic presentation is not always the most appealing to everyone. Many people prefer pictures with higher contrast than what looks natural and many people prefer headphones with more bass than the original piece of music has. Many people like to hear things exaggerated, but it differs from person to person what you like most.

Everyone has different ears so to find out what you like, you have to listen to different headphones yourself. Once you know your preferences, reviews become more useful, because if you like more bass in your headphones, you'd rather get Denon headphones (for example). If you prefer elevated bass and treble, the HiFiMan HE-400 would be a better choice. The HD600 is fairly 'neutral' sounding. This means that the balance of the bass, treble and midrange approaches reality closer than other headphones.

What I did to find my preferences was buying second hand headphones and selling them if I didn't like them. To give a fair chance to the headphones I'd listen to them for at least a few weeks. It often happens that you have to get used to the new sound before you can fully appreciate it.

Sorry but bass and high too strong make me headaches :wink:

- My previous Fidelio X2 have strong bass with mid recessed and i had a slight migran for a week.
- My previous Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 with fell pads make me bad inside ears for high frequency effects, too pungent sometimes, instead with velvet pads ( less isolation ) was much better but not as good as Sennheiser like fatigue.

both high and bass enphasized together for me = ambulance 
redface.gif

Apr 30, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #17 of 34
  1. Two completely different soundsignatures. Hd600=smooth, kingstons=Bright.
2. Hd600 has smallish soundstage for an open headphone, kingstons have large soundstage for a closed headphone.
3. You maybe did not know but you allready had a headphone that is extremely good for it's price. Kingstons=takstar pro80. Unless you have good gear for hd600 and listen to high quality music the sound quality difference is not that huge. You need some experience to appreciate the difference. For that reason I wouldn't return hd600 just yet. It might grow on you. However if kignstons had a soundsignature more suiting to your tastes, check out beyerdynamic dt880. It has the same tonality but does everything better.

I dont want a bright sound :)
make me bad in my ears.

For gaming was good enought ( some bass effects was not so good ) but for audio listenging was not so relax for me.

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #18 of 34

both high and bass enphasized together for me = ambulance 
redface.gif

Then the only thing left is neutral or mid-centric headphones... like the HD600. Well, I guess you just won't notice that much of a difference as a non-audio enthousiast.

Have a listen to the songs below. If you are still not impressed by the end of the listening session, I'd say that better audio is just not your thing.

Apr 30, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #19 of 34
You want someone to experience the premiumness of their headphone and you give him youtube clips
rolleyes.gif

This thread makes the head-fi community sound like a bunch of elitists I feel, but to a degree I think it is true; you need to learn how to appreciate the subtle increases of higher audio, train your hearing.

On that note, I'd say don't start with it
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #20 of 34
  You want someone to experience the premiumness of their headphone and you give him youtube clips
rolleyes.gif

I know, but when the original recording is good and when it's uploaded with the best possible quality, even YouTube music can give an impression of the difference in capabilities between different headphones.

This thread makes the head-fi community sound like a bunch of elitists I feel, but to a degree I think it is true; you need to learn how to appreciate the subtle increases of higher audio, train your hearing.

On that note, I'd say don't start with it
biggrin.gif

Best advice you can give to anyone who isn't into audio 
tongue_smile.gif

I do think we are a bunch of elitists. We claim to hear huge differences where other don't even notice them. Before I got into audio I thought it was insane to spend more than €100 on headphones 
rolleyes.gif

May 4, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #21 of 34
We are somewhat "elitist". But I don't think there are many here who would call something red when it's white. Most of the opinions are forthright. The trick is to realize when your system has hit its maximum level of resolution, so that it becomes impossible to hear even subtle diffs in HPs and gear changes. That's when you know it's time to either stop switching HPs (because the other gear are now maxed out), or to get the next gear piece higher up the ladder. In the end, though, it's about the music, not the gear.

May 4, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #22 of 34

[COLOR=0000FF]HELP please[/COLOR]

I bought this HD600 and Creative ZXR together.
But i hear only a small difference to sound compared to my cheap Kingston HyperX Cloud II ( gaming series product ).

Anche the open air is good only to prevent tiring and headache, but the soundstage open is not so different to the close Kingston.

Better sound OK but absoluttly NO WOW EFFECT. Better but only slightly and only with some effects like "guitar" and less kneaded when there are many effects together.
:confused_face_2:  

I used MP3 320Kbs and some FLAC tracks.
Gaming instead is only slightly better during explosions effects.

Back in the mid-'80s, I had a Denon integrated amp. It sounded pretty much the same as the Technics receiver I had before, once I got the tone controls setup. Then, one day, a new friend brought over a high-performance amp and preamp that were well-regarded at the time. I was very skeptical, especially as the preamp had no tone controls, and fully expected to hear a somewhat lackluster presentation. That's not what happened; the difference was nothing short of night and day. I was hearing things on familiar recordings that I had no idea were even there. And the bass, the smoothness... OMG.

I guess I'm trying to say that a true high-performance product can and will make a substantial difference with a headphone as revealing as the HD600. You're going to have to spend a bit of money and not on a new soundcard. Good luck.

May 4, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #23 of 34
Back in the mid-'80s, I had a Denon integrated amp. It sounded pretty much the same as the Technics receiver I had before, once I got the tone controls setup. Then, one day, a new friend brought over a high-performance amp and preamp that were well-regarded at the time. I was very skeptical, especially as the preamp had no tone controls, and fully expected to hear a somewhat lackluster presentation. That's not what happened; the difference was nothing short of night and day. I was hearing things on familiar recordings that I had no idea were even there. And the bass, the smoothness... OMG.

And did you ABX or DBT to make certain the difference was there, and not just expectation bias?

May 4, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #24 of 34
If you can't hear difference from hi ends than your ears is simply not audiophile, is good for saving money then.
And those soundcard have low SQ to drive hp, can give loud volume doesn't mean it can give dynamic SQ as those weak amp are always overdriven into clipping even at low volume, hence no finer sound details like environment reverbs are heard.
Only by double amping with a real hi quality headamp, than those weak amp can give unstressed effortless whole frequency/dynamic/soundstage range because now they are stressfree loaded with high 10kOhms impendance instead of low 32-300 Ohms overloaded stress.

---
BTW you can improve the SQ by 24hrs burn-in with Densen Demagic:

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BTaK3TsuoA[/VIDEO]

May 4, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #25 of 34
And did you ABX or DBT to make certain the difference was there, and not just expectation bias?

If you'd actually read the post, the expectation bias leaned toward my own equipment. Do you just post to argue?

BTW, can you briefly explain how a DBT could be performed in a home environment - cite the exact protocol - and the availability of an ABX box in 1986?

May 4, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #26 of 34
If you'd actually read the post, the expectation bias leaned toward my own equipment. Do you just post to argue?

Who says expectation bias is based on conscious assumptions?

BTW, can you briefly explain how a DBT could be performed in a home environment - cite the exact protocol - and the availability of an ABX box in 1986?

Exactly. Just subjectivist claims on your part. This is the sound science forum.

May 5, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #27 of 34
Who says expectation bias is based on conscious assumptions?

Now you read minds. Great.

Exactly. Just subjectivist claims on your part. This is the sound science forum.

No, it's the Intro, Help, and Recommendations forum. Seriously, are you struggling with a medical issue?

May 5, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #30 of 34
Now you read minds. Great.

No, it's the Intro, Help, and Recommendations forum. Seriously, are you struggling with a medical issue?

LOL You are right. I forgot this was the recommendations forum. I was thinking how just the week you were griping about how people weren't applying sound science in the sound science forum, and here you are right here playing games about science.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back