High BitRate Internet Radio
Oct 18, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #18 of 74
BBC Radio3 (which has the best FM quality in the United Kingdom apparently) is going to stream online in "HD radio" also.

http://www.rwonline.com/article/108042

is 320Kb...

though i actually hate jazz and only listen to it to make the rest of my music sound good.  i have this track of loads of jazz musicians trying to improvise but it goes terribly wrong and you can hear them crying and being sick.

just kidding ;P

Oct 28, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #20 of 74
Most radio stations are low bitrate due to server bandwidth, lower bitrate = less server bandwidth and the maxium amount of listeners they can have increases. Anything 128kbps 44000hz stereo or above is ok for me.

Oct 30, 2010 at 4:06 AM Post #22 of 74
Nov 1, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #26 of 74
Quote:
Most radio stations are low bitrate due to server bandwidth, lower bitrate = less server bandwidth and the maxium amount of listeners they can have increases. Anything 128kbps 44000hz stereo or above is ok for me.

Both are possible, at the same time, conserving bandwidth and increasing quality.

One way is VBR. VBR can sound better, even if its average bitrate is lower than CBR, as long as the peak rate is higher.

Better codec helps, too.

Multicast can save bandwidth many times. Thus bitrate can be increased many times, without increasing bandwidth. 512kbps multicast can use much less bandwidth than 128kbps non-multicast.

Nov 1, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #27 of 74
I'd say about 90% or more of my music listening is done with online streaming of some sort. I mostly use Rdio (a subscription music service) and Shoutcast radio. Both get streamed to my Android phone. Rdio to my ears sounds just about CD quality, and so do the higher bitrate Shoutcast streams. Compressed audio has come quite a long way and if done right can sound more than satisfactory.

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #28 of 74

bhjazz said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

You've piqued my interest...so i went out on a search. Yes, Google.

thestreamguide.com
Sort stations by bitrate. There are 8 stations that are listed as being above 192, including two that are listed as 320000kbps. oooookay.

Search here for 320kbps: ipradio01. I found just a couple of stations, including WUFT 89.1 FM University of Florida.

Pretty interesting that many places that advertise 300kbps or more also include videos. There seem to be lots of European music videos that are being broadcast online.

You might also try some of the sites that request email registration, etc. I signed up for Choiceradio.com years back. They do not list what their bitrates are, but have a nice selection, in spite of the confusing website.

EDIT: Listening to WUFT. Sounds great! Nice! Seems to be Jazz on this time of night (10pm, PST)

Thanks for your sharing! It's comprehensive, Now I understand more about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back