HifiMeDiy Sabre USB DAC (UAE23) and AudioQuest DragonFly - Brief Comparison
Jan 23, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #31 of 40
If one has to choose between these 2 options:

HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 Asynchronous USB DAC ($65 shipped);

Dragonfly V 1.0 ($99 shipped).

Criteria is sound quality only. Nothing else. 

Is it worth paying $34 more for Dragonfly?

Jan 23, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #32 of 40
  If one has to choose between these 2 options:

HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 Asynchronous USB DAC ($65 shipped);

Dragonfly V 1.0 ($99 shipped).

Criteria is sound quality only. Nothing else. 

Is it worth paying $34 more for Dragonfly?

Check my update on 1st post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/678798/hifimediy-sabre-usb-dac-uae23-and-audioquest-dragonfly-brief-comparison#post_9744510

UAE23 is a DAC
Dragonfly is a DAC + headphone amp

You can justify the price from there.

Sound quality alone, after using it for months with various IEMs, I prefer Dragonfly.

Feb 15, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #33 of 40

Check my update on 1st post:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/678798/hifimediy-sabre-usb-dac-uae23-and-audioquest-dragonfly-brief-comparison#post_9744510

UAE23 is a DAC
Dragonfly is a DAC + headphone amp

You can justify the price from there.

Sound quality alone, after using it for months with various IEMs, I prefer Dragonfly.

Dragonfly v 1.2 is significantly smoother, more powerful, and musical than v 1.  although it is fifty clams more, it is a significant upgrade worth the investment if you can swing it.  more detail, more texture and more flow to the music.  actually quite a bargain at 150.00 for the sq it outputs.  

Feb 15, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #34 of 40
  Dragonfly v 1.2 is significantly smoother, more powerful, and musical than v 1.  although it is fifty clams more, it is a significant upgrade worth the investment if you can swing it.  more detail, more texture and more flow to the music.  actually quite a bargain at 150.00 for the sq it outputs.  

Agreed. I would suggest the Dragonfly v1.2 or for around the same price you can find a Fiio X3 DAP/DAC.  For something under $100 the HiFimeDIY is pretty good.

Apr 25, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #36 of 40
I own Dragonfly v1.2 and I am selling it. I will buy the U2 DAC and Fiio E12 as a replacement.
What I don't like on the Dragonfly is the voices and the lack of lower midrange.
The voices sound thin and unnatural.

Jul 13, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #38 of 40
  I just got the U2 async and it sounds very good so far, smooth highs, very nice mids and bass, my laptop onboard is a little bright and harsh in comparison.

Great! I haven't tried U2 Async, hopefully one day I can measure the output impedance.
Thanks!

Dec 10, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #39 of 40
Nice review earfonia, I also bought the HIFImeDIY U2 DAC a few weeks ago, connected to my headroom amp the sound is very good.    But I wonder how the dragonfly(v1.2) compares to it , DAC only.
I am seriously considering getting the dragonfly , maybe I can use it's built in amp from time to time just to change the sound sig..  It's nice to have options and versatility.

But because I just recentely bought a new Grado 325e ,I am thinking if that is a good idea, or maybe I am just greedy here.   

I Agree that a better comparison would be between the Asynch version of the HIFI (U2) against the dragonfly, as the dragonfly is also Asynchronous DAC.   I never even thought to try the HIFI sabre alone without an amp.
I wonder why the HIFImeDIY budget DACs don't get more attention here,  really great products with incredible Value for price, I almost feel guilty paying such little for this dac. 

Dec 10, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #40 of 40
  Nice review earfonia, I also bought the HIFImeDIY U2 DAC a few weeks ago, connected to my headroom amp the sound is very good.    But I wonder how the dragonfly(v1.2) compares to it , DAC only.
I am seriously considering getting the dragonfly , maybe I can use it's built in amp from time to time just to change the sound sig..  It's nice to have options and versatility.

But because I just recentely bought a new Grado 325e ,I am thinking if that is a good idea, or maybe I am just greedy here.   

I Agree that a better comparison would be between the Asynch version of the HIFI (U2) against the dragonfly, as the dragonfly is also Asynchronous DAC.   I never even thought to try the HIFI sabre alone without an amp.
I wonder why the HIFImeDIY budget DACs don't get more attention here,  really great products with incredible Value for price, I almost feel guilty paying such little for this dac. 

I don't have U2, and haven't tried it. I only have the UAE23. Also my Dragonfly is the v1.0c, not the v1.2, so I cannot comment.
Dragonfly is really versatile, good DAC and pretty good headphone amp.  And I also agree, Hifimediy budget DACs are incredible for their value, really good sound quality DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back