Hifimediy Sabre Dac, will it be an Upgrade?
Sep 27, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #16 of 23
Some good info here that might help..

http://www.raspyfi.com/the-right-usb-dac-for-your-raspberry-pi/

I'm thinking of doing the 1st XMOS2 & ES9023 version. 
wink.gif

Sep 28, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #17 of 23
I'm hoping you guys could offer some opinions/advice...I'm on the fence about buying this sabre dac to use with my PC.  Currently I use my onboard audio's Realtek ALC892 with a lepai TA2020 amp and it sounds very good.  I am using the tone controls on the amp (turned treble up a notch or two past netural) and the EQ in my PC to give my music a more detailed sound.  The realtek is a very common motherboard DAC solution, so I was hoping to get someone who could offer a comparison.  I've read that onboard mobo audio is getting better so I'm concerned that the Hifimefiy dac will be marginal. Thoughts?

Also, since I will be using my subwoofer's built in high pass crossover, I would need to connect this dac to the sub's RCA in which is about 8ft from the PC.  Would it be better to use a USB extension or go with a longer 3.5mm -> RCA audio cable? I'm think the USB extension would be the best choice as digital info is more robust than analog, but just a guess.

Sep 29, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #18 of 23
You might want to think about getting a receiver instead of kludging together a bunch of cheap components..The weakest link in your chain is probably not your computers dac

Sep 29, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #19 of 23
 Would it be better to use a USB extension or go with a longer 3.5mm -> RCA audio cable? I'm think the USB extension would be the best choice as digital info is more robust than analog, but just a guess.

Unless the DAC is asychronus (in which case it shouldn't matter?), I'm thinking short USB would be best choice.  My reasoning? DIY DAC project builders always keep I2S cables as short as possible to keep jitter to a minimum.

Sep 29, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #20 of 23
  You might want to think about getting a receiver instead of kludging together a bunch of cheap components..The weakest link in your chain is probably not your computers dac

I actually used an AVR with my PC for a little while.  I ran into a few problems though:

1. The AVR was big and bulky and took up a lot of real estate on my work desk
2. It was relatively warm and heated up the room (summer=bad)
3. The sound was meh...either running in direct mode or using the tone controls

The T-amp solved all these problems and I really enjoy my current set-up...but of course I'm always trying to tweak something to get a little bit better sound from my system and my eye is on an external DAC.

Unless the DAC is asychronus (in which case it shouldn't matter?), I'm thinking short USB would be best choice.  My reasoning? DIY DAC project builders always keep I2S cables as short as possible to keep jitter to a minimum.

Thx...I didn't think about the jitter issue.  I guessing the consensus is generally a shorter USB cable is preferred to a longer one vs. a shorter RCA interconnect...

Sep 29, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #21 of 23
I actually used an AVR with my PC for a little while.  I ran into a few problems though:

1. The AVR was big and bulky and took up a lot of real estate on my work desk
2. It was relatively warm and heated up the room (summer=bad)
3. The sound was meh...either running in direct mode or using the tone controls

The T-amp solved all these problems and I really enjoy my current set-up...but of course I'm always trying to tweak something to get a little bit better sound from my system and my eye is on an external DAC.

You might also consider a Topping TP31 or Indeed TA2021 t-amp as a possible future upgrade. Bit better SQ than the Lepai (better electronics and better PSU), definitely better build quality, and a few extra db of output. I use the Indeed (in the summer months---l love the reduced heat) with an ODAC, and it sounds great. Definitely better than motherboard audio. Since the Schiit Modi is often cited as equivalent to the ODAC, could be worth waiting and saving for the Modi. I just don't have any experience with the Hifimediy Sabre. Could be it would work well, too.

Also, since I will be using my subwoofer's built in high pass crossover, I would need to connect this dac to the sub's RCA in which is about 8ft from the PC.  Would it be better to use a USB extension or go with a longer 3.5mm -> RCA audio cable? I'm think the USB extension would be the best choice as digital info is more robust than analog, but just a guess.

I use 3m RCAs to connect my Asgard 2 to my sub. My sub has RCA line in and line out pass through. No problems using RCAs :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back