HiFimeDIY Sabre Android DAC, Digital to Audio Converter (PCM2706+ES9023)
Sep 17, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 7
Got the Sabre Android DAC today and tested it out on my Samsung Galaxy Note II & AT CK100Pro.

First impression: Works straight out of the box, even with the Neutron music player. No background hiss that I otherwise heard on the IEM straight out of the phone. Presentation is relatively balanced. Compared to the Note II output, the Sabre DAC has more emphasis on the mid-bass and less on the upper frequencies (can't tell what frequencies however). Presentation is darker in comparison hence. Detail retrieval is inferior to the Note II, with complex passages sounding muddied or confused. I think imaging is also inferior (hard to pinpoint where some sound are coming from) though I have to listen longer to be sure.

Not bad for the $30 I paid for it, though first listening session suggests it is not a worthy replacement for the Note II DAC. I will listen more and see if anything changes over time.

Cheers!

Dec 15, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #7 of 7
Got the Sabre Android DAC today and tested it out on my Samsung Galaxy Note II & AT CK100Pro.

First impression: Works straight out of the box, even with the Neutron music player. No background hiss that I otherwise heard on the IEM straight out of the phone. Presentation is relatively balanced. Compared to the Note II output, the Sabre DAC has more emphasis on the mid-bass and less on the upper frequencies (can't tell what frequencies however). Presentation is darker in comparison hence. Detail retrieval is inferior to the Note II, with complex passages sounding muddied or confused. I think imaging is also inferior (hard to pinpoint where some sound are coming from) though I have to listen longer to be sure.

Not bad for the $30 I paid for it, though first listening session suggests it is not a worthy replacement for the Note II DAC. I will listen more and see if anything changes over time.

Cheers!

@Zorander, does this work for music players like Spotify & Pandora?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back