HIFIMAN Svanar Wireless is Available Now - A True Wireless ANC Earbuds for Audiophiles!
Jul 3, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #16 of 62
TWS (True Wireless Stero) is something that I am new to. Primarily, it doesn't benefit my needs as a musician and I depend on wired connections mostly. But this will be an exception. Let me share my VERY EARLY impressions on the Hifiman Svanar wireless!
IMG20230703221055.jpg
  • Fun sound profile with engagement
  • Full-bodied bass with good weight and texture
  • Prominent mid-bass
  • Midrange offers no recessed nature that puts vocals and highlighted instruments at the front seat. Rich in sound and dense note weight
  • Timbre is very natural and a tinge warm with a bit of sizzle on the upper mids. I can hear it on my piano tracks on its upper ranges. The Hymalaya R2R dac/amp embedded can be heard at work
  • Separation is average as instruments and vocals seem melded together
  • LDAC connection has its limits. 5 steps away and I'm losing connection. Make it 3 if I'm in between walls or obstacles
  • Imaging is ok and decent but nothing out of the ordinary
  • Sound stage portrays extra headroom
  • Resolution can quite compete with some of my wired IEMS. Very impressive to be honest. Well it better be for the price point
  • Speed never felt sluggish and exhibits good attack and note definition
  • Stock ear tips are mediocre for its asking price
IMG_20230703_223433.jpg
Stay tuned for an in-depth review on this one in a week or so. These are very early impressions and some points might subject to change. Cheers!

#HIFIMAN #svanar #TWS
Hi!
Thanks for sharing!
Anxious to read your full review!
What wired iems are you comparing with the Svanar wireless?

Jul 6, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #17 of 62
Dear Head-fiers and Svanar Wireless users:

For some common questions you may wonder, here is a Q&A list for your reference:

1. When the Svanar Wireless keeps disconnecting from paired devices:

1) For Android users, due to the complexity of the electromagnetic environment, the default LDAC high-resolution Bluetooth connection format may freeze or disconnect due to insufficient bandwidth. If this occurs, you can set the LDAC bandwidth to Balanced audio and connection quality (660kbps/606kbps) or Optimized for connection quality (330kbps/303kbps), or enter Settings on your device and manually set the Bluetooth format to AAC or SBC. In this mode, the problem of lag/disconnection will be improved.

2) Try switching between Wi-Fi and mobile network to see if it affects the connection stability.

3) Try connecting to other devices

4) Reset the Svanar Wireless and try to reconnect to your phone. For reset, put both Svanar Wireless into the charging case. Press and hold the setup button on the back of the charging case for up to 10 seconds. The status light on the charging case should flash red and green after 3 seconds and flash green after 10 seconds. The reset is finished when the status light flashes green. Try to re-pair to your device.

2. If you can’t connect your phone or if the Svanar Wireless plays no sound

Reset the Svanar Wireless by putting both earphones into the charging case. Press and hold the setup button on the back of the charging case for up to 10 seconds. The status light on the charging case should flash red and green after 3 seconds and flash green after 10 seconds. The reset is finished when the status light flashes green. Try to re-pair to your device.

3. How to reconnect to your phone when wearing the Svanar Wireless

When wearing the Svanar Wireless on both ears, simultaneously press and hold both earphones for up to 3 seconds to disconnect from the paired devices. The Svanar Wireless will then enter pairing mode with a voice prompt of "pairing".

4. How to Switch between Noise Cancellation/HIFI/Transparency mode

Only when both earphones are being worn, the initial state of the earphones, when turned on, is High Fidelity.
Press and hold the left earphone for 3 seconds to switch to Noise Cancellation mode (with a voice prompt of "ANC ON").
Press and hold the left earphone again for another 3 seconds to switch to Transparency mode (with a voice prompt of "Transparency").
Press and hold the left earphone for another 3 seconds to switch back to HIFI mode (with a voice prompt of "High Fidelity").

5. How to Charge the Svanar Wireless

When the earphone battery is low (less than 10%), you will hear the prompt "Low Battery please charge" for every 2 minutes.

Place the Svanar Wireless in the charging case to begin charging. Please note that the Svanar Wireless will not be detected by paired devices during the charging. The Svanar Wireless will automatically power off when fully charged.

The status light in the charging case will light up green for 10 seconds when the earphones are fully charged, and red for 10 seconds when the battery is low. When the charging case’s battery to too low to charge the earphones, the LED will flash red for 10 seconds.

6. How to Charge the Charging Case

Charge the Svanar Wireless charging case by plugging in the charging cable to a charger or placing it on the charging pad.

The status light on the outside of the charging case will stay on during charging to indicate the battery level. The status light will turn green when the battery level is above 80%, yellow when it's between 20% and 80%, red when it's below 20%, and turn off when the battery is fully charged.

7. Is the front housing made of carbon fiber?

Yes, It's a single layer for enhanced aesthetics and comfort.

Last edited:
HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jul 7, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #18 of 62

ShortShorts: Hifiman Svanar Wireless Irrepressible First Impression​

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

This is going to be brief. The Hifiman Svanar Wireless arrived just as I was about to leave for a face-to-face meeting. I was really tempted to cancel my meeting and spend time with these beauties. But adulting precluded me from playing hooky, so I did the next best thing: I took them with me; they are true wireless stereo (TWS), after all. Compared to my reliable AirPods 3, they were a bit bulky but portable enough to fit inside my small go bag together with the rest of my ultra-portable productivity tools: iPad Pro M2, Apple Magic Trackpad, BOW foldable keyboard, Apple AirPods 3, and a 10,000 mAh power bank. I didn’t notice any considerable increase in weight or bulk. Very nice.
IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

So how does it sound? While waiting for my meeting to start and between breaks, I slipped in some listening with Apple Music Hi-Res Music via the iPad Pro M2 connected to the Svanar TWS. They sound phenomenal. It has better resolution, quality, and replay than my Apple AirPods 3. I know this is not a fair comparison, but that was the only gear I had to compare with during that time.
IMG_0329.jpg

I am blown away by how well this TWS performs. And this is just via Apple’s proprietary AAC Bluetooth codec. I can’t wait to try them out with LDAC using my FiiO BTA30 Pro, M11 Plus ESS, and even the diminutive Shanling M0 Pro. I’ll report back to you guys soon. Meantime, stay safe, stay golden.

#ShortShorts #TWS #Hifiman #SvanarWireless #TWS #MALEAudioReviews #FirstImpressions #LDAC

Jul 10, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #19 of 62
Tried these a few days ago and was really positively surprised. So much that I straight ordered them and will sell one pair of my wired earphones instead.
To me, these are the first TWS that seriously come close to good wired phones in terms of SQ....something I have been waiting for years.
I have also tried the Noble Focus Mystique, that has a similar reputation, but the Hifiman definitely sounded better to my ears.

Actually I also compared them to my Oriolus Szalayi with Shanling UP5 - I would still say the Oriolus showed better detail retrieval and deeper sub bass….but again - the Svanar Wireless came surprisingly close and sounded really dynamic and wide....while having the advantage of no cable at all and thus one is able to really move arround freely.

Just beware the SQ is very noticeably worse in ANC mode and the ambient mode is - quite literally - a joke.
So this won`t replace your super functional multi-purpose TWS....it`s "just" a way to enjoy really good sound quality wirelessly in a very portable form factor (compared to wired & DAC/Amp).
By the way, I did not find the case too big as some people are complaining. It’s still much smaller than the cases of those bluetooth adapers like the GoPods and still fits snugly in my pocket. And some people are complaining about a missing app. But I think that is actually a good thing! Because in the past Hifiman has produced lots of terrible apps that got never ever updated (forgive me Hifiman!). Programming is just not their strength! With this release they concentrate on their strength - good sounding hardware. Which is what they should continue doing imo! :)

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 10:12 PM Post #20 of 62
A new exciting Giveaway for July!!

We are holding a HIFIMAN IEM Giveaway to say Thank you to everyone who loves HIFIMAN!
Enter by this link to get the opportunity to win one of three Svanar (1st prize), Svanar Wireless (2nd prize), or RE800 Silver (3rd prize)
https://hifiman.com/iem-giveaway/index.html

Don't forget to enter today. The deadline is July 17 at midnight Pacific Time.

The program is open to consumers in all countries. Winners are responsible for local taxes if any.

Join us now!

2023.7.10 iem giveaway.jpg

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jul 19, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #21 of 62
After owning and having used these for about a week now, I must say I am even more impressed with them (than my first impressions that were already really good). From the beginning on, I thought these sound scary close to my wired earphones connected to a BT DAC/Amp like the UP5….though I thought I could still hear slightly more extension to both ends with the latter ones. But now, after having found the right ear tips for the Hifiman (in my case Final E tips) those differences are not apparent anymore at all. Only differences in signature, as with all earphones.
And I must say I love the signature of the Svanar wireless! Of my earphones I find them to sound the closest to the iBasso IT07 - W-shaped and euphoric sounding, very energetic and dynamic. What surprises me maybe the most, is the really wide stage of the Svanar wireless, that definitely gives you that out-of-head-feeling.
From my experience, besides tonality, this might also be a result of the short nozzles - since earphones that don`t reach that deep into the ear canal tend to sound more open…
All in all Hifiman did a fantastic job with these!

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #22 of 62
Hopefully more of the more mid-/high-end headphone and IEM oriented brands take some inspiration from these and jump on this wagon to start producing TWS buds with ANC options as well. Would love to see more competitive options in the TWS market.

Jul 28, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #23 of 62
I was approached by a representative from HiFiman asking if I would like to try these and discuss them and possibly write a review.

So to be clear I have not bought them. As such if your concerned about the integrity of my analysis you can skip my comments if you like. Having said that I was not asked to write positive comments or anything like that. They simply want me to discuss my experience.

I will be writing a full review over the next week or 2 as these deserve the attention.

OK, so let me get this out of the way... my budget these days is pretty limited and because I like trying new things and comparing products I generally have about a $400 max threshold. As such, on my own while very interested on the Svanar TWS, it was not something I seriously considered.

I am very grateful to HiFiMan for giving me a chance to try these to see what stepping out of my comfort zone would be like.

Over the many years I have been a member of Head-fi I have gone through phases of buying and using full size headphones, portables headphones, IEMs, and lots of BT gear.

The biggest challenge with BT and this goes for over the ear headphones to TWS, is the lack of audio quality. I fully think some of my experimenting with so much gear is my attempt to regain that lost audio fidelity. Up until these arrived most of that was in vane. Whether it was full size headphones from Sony, NAD, KEF, or combinations of neck style IEMs from Sony (WI-1000X), TWS adapter combos (Fiio UTWS5 with FH5), or TWS such as WF-1000XM4, Sennhieser True Wireless Momentum 3, Technics AZ60/70/80, 1More Evo, Status Between Pro, Soundcore Liberty series, and more. The unfortunate reality is none scratched that audio quality itch. Some had neat signatures or features that were fun initially but ultimately lost their novelty. MANY had ground breaking ANC or combinations of features that were/are compelling as great all round options. BUT NONE COULD GIVE ME THE AUDIO FIDELITY I DESIRED...

So, in case I am beating around the bush to much. The Svanar Wireless has scratched that itch!

As the week has gone on, I keep pulling these out and using them. They just sound so good, it's hard to switch back to my other TWS.

My first day or 2 of posts in the "are we there yet" thread, shows my initial challenges using these as I compared them to the all rounder TWS I own. These have a big chunky case, it's cool looking but hard to open and not very pocketable. The ANC/Ambient modes have a significant drop in volume and loss of dynamic sound, as compared to HFM, as compared to some of the all rounders which sound almost identical between modes. Where the heck is the App???

But as I used them and grew used to not having ANC always enabled I just started to get lost in the music, revelling in the detail, the sound stage and imaging. These have a very natural warm sound that just feels right, to my ears. I can listen to classical, Jazz, rock of all kinds, and pretty much any other genre and these sound good.

Listening was made easier by the the comfort of the TWS and ease of use with the touch panels. I miss not having volume controls but also do not feel the need to adjust the volume very often.

So I slowly became converted. Now, I don't find myself worrying about what's missing feature wise, because I don't really need them. These work well enough I don't need an app, and if I want to adjust their sound I just get inventive and use my phone or my favorite apps to experiment. Heck I had Atmos Adapt enabled when I first was testing these which shows how I played with those other alternatives even with other TWS that had their own Apps.

Are these for everyone? Probably not, between their price and major focus on audio fidelity above all else make these more niche in nature. But if you have tried anything I have mentioned and thought to yourself, where is the music? Then these are a great option.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #24 of 62
I love these!
the noise cancelling isn't much to write home about compared to the airpods.
the SQ is astonishing over LDAC. I am reaching for them over some of my wired IEM's more so as I really like the tuning.

I wish they had volume control built in. Maybe like tap and hold or something. I hate reaching for my device to do that.

any chance of it coming in a firmware update?

Aug 14, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #25 of 62
Would also love to change the length of time before the Svanar Wireless shuts down.

Super irritating that it does so before I can boot up my DAP’s and connect to them.

Even worse I can’t power them back up without having to put them back in the case. Nice case and all but an annoyance to have to carry it with me to the gym floor incase the IEM’s decide to turn off…

would be good to get a fix on too in this; perhaps pressing both IEM’s together (I’ve tried this more than once in futility).

Aug 15, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #26 of 62
Hello, new owner of the Svanar Wireless. I have to say, these iems truly have blown me away. To say that I prefer these over my LZ A7 and actually do come very close to the Svanar wired is extremely high praise. I do find eartips make a big difference. And finding the right fit and material really changes the sound quality. I settled on some spinfit cp100 but after changing to some Azla Crystals, the soundstage and imaging improved from having great soundstage but above average imaging. To amazing soundstage with crazy imaging. No more smear and everything sounded crystal clear. These really set a new benchmark with TWS iems. And even put a strong fight against iems under $1000. Compared to Svanar wireless, yes the wireless has an edge in clarity, resolution but it is no where near the huge price jump of $3000 AUD. The Svanar wireless sells for $800 and for me to say you get very very very close to the sound of the wired version is extreme high praise. I truly rec to try as many eartips that you can. Even if you feel you settled on a set, you may find something better in the future. Absolutely love these.

Now quick question. While I don't feel these need eq, has anyone tried EQ and been able to squeeze that little bit extra of performance out of these? 😁👍

Aug 15, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #27 of 62
New review out there:

https://www.headfonia.com/hifiman-svanar-wireless-review/2/

But I must say, I have rarely read a review that is so full of contradictions. :rolling_eyes:
First, he praises the bass and soundstage in Hifi mode ("Bass is the real feat here: deep, well-defined, impactful, “toe-tapping” and the more you push, the more you’re rewarded. It’s deeply addictive, with powerful kicks, absolutely no decay, and wondrous definition from top to bottom, as long as you stick with the HiFi mode."), later he writes that they disappoint him (without explaining further why). In addition, it is not clear how exactly he defines "performace" ("they don`t achieve the level of performance I seek for".) And he sees "performace" higher with APP and Devialet (in terms of sound quality performance they are clearly not, imo). :thinking:
He writes the Svanar wireless is closer to "audiophile grade neutrality" - but it is not a neutral sounding IEM at all!
Generally, his "conclusion" does not resemble what he has written in the whole review.

Don`t get me wrong - I like critical reviews and don`t need to defeat products I like!
But this one is a mess, there is no way around it!

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #28 of 62
img_0154.jpeg

Introduction​

Hi Guys,

Today we are taking a look at a new true wireless set of earphones from Hifiman, the Svanar Wireless. Hifiman recently released their new top-of-the-line earphones, simply called the Svanar, which are a replacement for their RE2000 Gold earphones which were released around the same time as the Susvara headphones (2017.) I enjoyed and bought both the RE2000 Gold, and RE2000 Silver, and was curious what the new Svanar TWS might bring to the table in terms of performance whilst being an entirely different product category (wired vs wireless/Bluetooth.) For the rest of the review I will just refer to the Svanar TWS as the Svanar, but please keep in mind I am talking about the TWS version, not the much more costly and high-end Svanar wired.

The RE2000 Gold and Silver are one of my favourite earphones that I have heard or owned still to this day. They have a slightly V-shaped signature, great bass performance in terms of quality, and good detail and technical performance across the board. They did lack slightly in terms of comfort compared to other more ergonomic earphones, but in terms of sound, they did a ton of things right. The Svanar seems to build on the design ideas behind the RE2000 series, whilst of course adding many different technologies and ideas, being a TWS set of earphones. They both use the same “topology diaphragm” and although I’m assuming there have been changes over the years, the basic principle is the same. It is a single dynamic driver, vs multiple balanced armature drivers, or something like a tribrid or quadbrid setup that many earphones feature these days.

img_0157.jpeg

Technical Information​

In terms of basic overall principles, the Svanar is similar to other TWS sets of earphones. They come with a case that they live in, which can also charge them. Being TWS, they have a DAC, amp, and battery built-in, and run entirely wirelessly from your phone, tablet, computer, or other source of choice. You can charge the battery in the case via USB-C, which will then charge the earphones when they are placed in their receptacles. The Svanar has three different listening modes, “High Fidelity,” “ANC,” and “Transparency.” High Fidelity turns off all DSP-like noise cancelling and provides the best overall sound quality. ANC is noise cancelling, providing up to 35db of reduction in ambient noise, which is very handy on something like a plane journey. Transparency mode activates the microphones in the earphones and lets you hear what is going on in the world around you as if you don’t have earphones in your ears. For most of my listening, I stuck with High Fidelity but did try and simulate an airplane environment with a portable AC machine, and it performed very well, reducing ambient noise significantly. I didn’t use the transparency mode very much, but it does function as intended and lets you hear conversations and such if you need to talk to someone or hear what is happening around you.

The built-in DAC of the Svanar is based on Hifiman’s new “Hymalaya” DAC architecture. It is an R2R-based DAC, and from what I understand is supposed to be similar to, but improve upon the PCM1704 DACs of days past. In the context of the Svanar, it is hard to say exactly how it sounds, as the earphones are a contained system, and you are unable to hear the DAC on its own, rather hearing the combination of the transducer, amp, DAC, wireless transmission altogether. With that being said, I do think it’s neat that Hifiman is doing more than simply trying to create headphones, and really do seem to be trying to innovate in other areas. Perhaps someday they will release a standalone DAC featuring the Hymalaya architecture, it would be interesting to hear how it performs in that context.

Now, the most important thing is how do the Svanar actually sound? In short, extremely good for a TWS earphone. The juggernaut of TWS, the Apple Airpod Pro are bested by the Svanar, that much was obvious to me.

img_0155.jpeg

Tuning/Frequency Response​

The bass of the Svanar really reminds me of the RE2000 series. It is slightly elevated, definitely slightly more than neutral. I enjoy a fairly large amount of bass, usually EQ’ing it up on headphones a little bit via a low shelf, and the Svanar didn’t need any EQ increase in the low end for my personal preferences. I do think that being a single dynamic driver, it is common for the bass performance in terms of impact, slam, and speed to be quite a bit better than balanced armature drivers, and that is the case with the Svanar. It is not the absolute most refined or “best” bass I have heard from an earphone, but at this price point and considering the number of other features with the Svanar being a TWS pair of earphones, I was entirely satisfied with the low-end of the Svanar.

The mids are slightly more present in the low mid-range than I remember the RE2000 twins being, but that is based on memory so I could be incorrect in that assessment. In the middle of the mid-range, it’s slightly pulled back from neutral, which is similar to the RE2000, giving a slightly V-shaped signature when combined with the treble. Overall, if you prefer a warm and thick midrange, I don’t think the Svanar is the right choice if you aren’t ok with EQ’ing. If you are like me, and listen to lots of electronica, the Svanar really works well with that genre, as well as things like rock, metal etc…

The highs are slightly brighter than I remember the RE2000 being. There seem to be a couple of peaks in the treble and I played about with EQ to bring those down slightly. Once some measurements are available I would be able to pinpoint these peaks a bit more accurately, but I ended up trying 4khz and 8khz down about 1db each, and that seemed to help things. Without that EQ, I could see these really suiting someone who loves a brighter treble response, but for me, it got a bit fatiguing and harsh on certain poorer-quality tracks, especially over long listening sessions.

Technical Performance​

The Svanar has very good technical performance for a TWS pair of earphones. The best I have personally heard, and as mentioned before I do think they sound better and perform better technically than the Apple AirPods Pro. They are quite detailed and do have a good amount of dynamic impact and slam, probably partly due to their single-dynamic driver nature. I do think that the RE2000 Gold is a bit better in terms of overall technical performance, but that does also depend on the overall system, as comparing non-true wireless earphones to wired earphones is very difficult to do on an entirely level playing field.

Build Quality and Ergonomics​

The Svanar are very light and very comfortable. Much more ergonomically shaped than the RE2000 and comfortable for longer listening sessions. The only thing I found was that the “antenna” if you will, the long part of the earphone did slightly press into the area right below my ear, but it wasn’t enough to annoy or cause pain over time. The earphones are mostly made of plastic, and the back plate seems to be made from carbon fibre of some form. In terms of ear tips, I ended up using the double flange Hifiman tips, as I felt that gave the best sound quality overall. If you are going to be on a flight or have an ear shape that requires a bit more insertion depth, trying a pair of triple flange tips is worth your while. They will help provide more seal, and still sound very good, though not as good as the double flange tips, in my opinion. The storage and charging case seal magnetically, and the earphones pop in easily, also magnetically, which connects them to the battery to charge. You can charge the case via USB-C, or wirelessly via a charging pad.

The codecs available for the Bluetooth function are LDAC, AAC, and SBC. You can easily and quickly change between the listening modes by pressing the left earbuds faceplate for 3 seconds, allowing you to change between High Fidelity, ANC, and Transparency. When the battery power falls below 10%, you will hear a prompt saying “Low battery, please charge” every couple of minutes.

img_0153-2-1.jpeg

Conclussion​

Spending time with the Svanar TWS has honestly been a real change of pace for me, I’m usually listening to wire headphones, and the TWS nature and overall usability of the Svanar TWS has been great. They sound very good for a pair of TWS earphones, though do lag behind slightly in terms of overall sound quality vs their older RE2000 siblings. With that being said, it has to be taken into account that they are an entirely different product category and do what they do within that category extremely well. Perhaps not the best choice if you are simply looking for the best-performing pair of earphones regardless of price or features, but if you want a pair of awesome sounding TWS earphones, with all the convenience that comes with that genre of product, then the Svanar are absolutely, 100% worth trying. I’m really looking forward to seeing what Hifiman comes up with over time in their wireless range, and if they are able to continue to create great-sounding products, that also have all the “mod cons.”

Aug 18, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #29 of 62
is anyone experiencing a bluetooth disconnect when switching modes between HIFI and ANC?

when I change modes it disconnects and I have to manually re-connect them from the DAP. It doesnt lose the pairing just disconnects.

Aug 20, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #30 of 62
I’m also finding my headsets disconnecting. The right one keeps disconnecting from the left and after seconds comes back. Lots of breakup involved. My dap is 1.5’ from my on the elliptical.

Anyone experiencing this? Very Idson drying to have the right earpiece continually come in and out on its own accord. They are well charged.

@Hifiman?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back