HIFIMAN SuperMini Impressions Thread
Oct 26, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #166 of 234
Just got these in, and using the balanced RE600, that is some really noticable noise. SeaHF 320 balanced didn't have this issue at least. I can ignore the hiss while music is playing, mostly anyways. I was hoping the HM700 hiss was gone, but no such luck. Using normal jack, hiss is noticably lower but still present. While playing hiss is unnoticable currently.

Trying a more easily driven balanced earbud, VE Monk, I believe I can hear a faint hint of hiss while silent but I'm unsure.

When switching to Edition S, if there is any hiss present it's beyond my capabilty to detect it.

The last one I've checked so far is the RE-Zero which has noticable hiss while silent but low enough while playing to be ignored.

All in all, the SeaHF will see a large amount of the Supermini's playtime.

Edit: Sorry if this information is available in this thread and I've missed it. I went to update the firmware, as mine seems to be quite an old version "UI2015-12-08V012" and downloaded the current firmware as of 9/22. I downloaded the instructions which give directions for the 8-30 & 6-20 versions and tried both methods listed to no avail, so I was curious if there was perhaps another method I could try to update? If it helps, the Supermini was bought from a fellow Head-fier.

Oct 26, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #167 of 234
Does this dap have adequate power to drive the LCD3s to enjoyable volume?

Oct 26, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #168 of 234
My review of the Supermini and Megamini (combined together, along with some comparisons against similar price bracket DAPs) - it's too long to post here so please click on the link if you want to read my thoughts:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-supermini-high-res-portable-player/reviews/17184

Great little player from the team at Hifiman - it's been a very enjoyable few weeks!

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #169 of 234
Have had fun reviewing the SuperMini which can be found here: (review to long to post here)

Makes a change for someone to focus on making a good quality sounding small truly portable dap. 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-supermini-high-res-portable-player/reviews/17189

Will also be posting my MegaMini review tomorrow night (did not originally expect two players to review but was a nice surprise and glad they did send both as Mega is a player still worth hearing also) 

Oct 29, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #170 of 234
Has anyone compared the Supermini with a Pono-player sound-wise, and if so (and apologies for my ignorance) would the Supermini take the same balanced headphone cables as a Pono? I'm giving my much loved Pono as a birthday present to someone in my family and am looking for a similar priced alternative that can play my Fostex Mk3's in balanced mode....

Oct 29, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #171 of 234
Has anyone compared the Supermini with a Pono-player sound-wise, and if so (and apologies for my ignorance) would the Supermini take the same balanced headphone cables as a Pono? I'm giving my much loved Pono as a birthday present to someone in my family and am looking for a similar priced alternative that can play my Fostex Mk3's in balanced mode....

Supermini takes one Hifiman 3.5mm TRRS balanced connector, the Pono uses two jack connectors as far as I am aware, so the two connection standards are completely different.

Nov 11, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #173 of 234
This DAPs got some warts in a lack of features and some problems with microSD card formatting, but it does some totally unique stuff.

It's smaller than a Snickers bar and can drive the HD600 for 10 hours through the balanced output. That is insanity to me. The price of $399 for a balanced DAP is actually really reasonable. It has a lot more power than the Lotoo PAW 5000 and the Cayin N5 and comes with a good pair of balanced headphones. I wasn't impressed with the single-ended output, but the balanced is really awesome. I enjoyed it.

Here's my review:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-supermini-high-res-portable-player/reviews/17282

Nov 12, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #174 of 234
This DAPs got some warts in a lack of features and some problems with microSD card formatting, but it does some totally unique stuff.

It's smaller than a Snickers bar and can drive the HD600 for 10 hours through the balanced output. That is insanity to me. The price of $399 for a balanced DAP is actually really reasonable. It has a lot more power than the Lotoo PAW 5000 and the Cayin N5 and comes with a good pair of balanced headphones. I wasn't impressed with the single-ended output, but the balanced is really awesome. I enjoyed it.

Here's my review:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-supermini-high-res-portable-player/reviews/17282

Nice review - it has its flaws, but the Supermini has quickly become my daily driver while waiting for the Echobox DAP to finally arrive. Just makes my IEMs sound goooood.

Nov 12, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #175 of 234
I bought a Snickers to show how small and impressive this SuperMini is.

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #178 of 234
Any comment on how the included earphones sound with the HM-700 compared to the Supermini disregarding hiss? I currently own the Supermini and used to own the 700, which I was quite fond of soundwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back