HIFIMAN Sundara Loaner Tour
Mar 20, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #91 of 98
Dear Head-fiers,

We sincerely thank you all for your support and time taking part in our loaner tour, we have had some really great reviews from some of you however…… it is with a heavy heart that with certain global events that we are prematurely bringing it to an end. While we do not believe there is much of any risk at all in swapping headphones between listeners unless they are coughing on them and someone immediately licks them (eww) its better to be safe than sorry. Thus, for the time being at least we are closing the loaner tour programme. Reviewers with a unit currently can have them for their two weeks and we would still love to see your last reviews. We will then be in touch to get them returned to us. For those who haven’t yet been fortunate enough to be selected we are sorry but hope you understand. We would hope that once the world returns to normal and delivery services are all fully functional again that we can have new loaner tour programme, so please do keep an eye out for a future announcement.

Thanks to all who took part and best wishes to all, especially to any one out there in the health care industry, we all appreciate the hard work you do.

Best regards,
HIFIMAN Team

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Mar 21, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #92 of 98
Dear Head-fiers,

We sincerely thank you all for your support and time taking part in our loaner tour, we have had some really great reviews from some of you however…… it is with a heavy heart that with certain global events that we are prematurely bringing it to an end. While we do not believe there is much of any risk at all in swapping headphones between listeners unless they are coughing on them and someone immediately licks them (eww) its better to be safe than sorry. Thus, for the time being at least we are closing the loaner tour programme. Reviewers with a unit currently can have them for their two weeks and we would still love to see your last reviews. We will then be in touch to get them returned to us. For those who haven’t yet been fortunate enough to be selected we are sorry but hope you understand. We would hope that once the world returns to normal and delivery services are all fully functional again that we can have new loaner tour programme, so please do keep an eye out for a future announcement.

Thanks to all who took part and best wishes to all, especially to any one out there in the health care industry, we all appreciate the hard work you do.

Best regards,
HIFIMAN Team
Smart, though. Tanks for the opportunity to listen to them with my gear. Love the ones I bought because of that...

Mar 21, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #93 of 98
Good decision to temporarily stop the loaner program. I have ordered mine two weeks ago, almost a year after I've taken part in the program. Thanks again for the opportunity. :)

Apr 14, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #94 of 98
Hifiman Sundara
Mar 23, 2020
View attachment Sundara-101-2.jpg

The world is going upside down, people are home bound and the news repeat the same topics over and over, just like a broken record.
While the world is in turmoil, when one has to stay at home, it is a great opportunity to spend time on your music.
This is my impression of the Hifiman Sundara, as part of the Loaner Review program provided by the Hifiman team.

System Description

System #1
Source – PC
Program - Foobar2000 v1.5.2
DAC – Toppings D50
Amp – Schiit Magni 3 & JDS Labs Atom
System #2
Source – Raspberry Pi 4B with HiFiberry Digi Pro & Justboom Digi+
Program – MoOde 6.4.2
DAC – Meridian Director and Audio GD R28
Amp – Audio GD R28
System #3
Source – Allo USBridge Signiture One with Audio GD DI20HE
Program – Moode 6.4.2
DAC – Audio GD R8HE
Amp – Sonic Frontier Line 3

Music format
CD in FLAC 16/44.1
Hi Res 24/96
DSD 64/128

Headphones for comparison
- Fostex T50RP
- Senniheiser HD 6xx
- Shure SRH840
- Audeze LCD 1
- Focal Clear

Equipment - Comfort/Look/Feel
The headphone arrives in great conditions, boxed properly with a luxury looking box. An adapter jack is provided for the two most popular single ended connectors (1/8 in and ¼ in). No balance cable is provided.
The black paint finish on the headphone metallic surface is very nicely done which matches quite well with the leather portion of the headphone.
All listening sessions were conducted with single ended 6.3mm (¼ in) plug. The length of the headphone comector wire is approximately 4 ft.
The headphone has a very comfortable feel when placed in my listening position. It can be worn for an extended period of time without problem.

Sound Impression
The sound signature is fast, accurate and very easy to listen to.
The headphone requires to be driven with good quality amplification, when compared to other headphones, the volume knob is normally at a much higher position to generate the same sound level.
When a good DAC is used, with good music, the headphone has the tendency to disappear, particular true with a hjgh quality source of music.

Headphone Impression
The following are my impressions when listening to the Sundara vs other headphones that I have a chance to try:

Fostex T50RP
The Sundara is a lot faster, more transparent and more comfortable. The Fostex is easier to match with lower power/cost amplifications.

Senniheiser HD 6xx
The Senniheiser HD 6xx matches better with a tube amp and has better presentation with human voices. For vocals, I would still go for the Senniheiser, especially when powered by a good tube amp.
The Sundara is a lot more vibrant and transparent in comparison.
Both the HD 6xx and the Sundara are equally comfortable and can be worn for an extended period of time.

Shure SRH840
The Shure is a very good multipurpose headphone that can be used for all kinds of music, from Bach to Adele.
When driven by a lower cost system, the Shure is just as good, if not better, to listen to as the Sundara. However, when matched with a good system, I like the music from the Sundara better in terms of its sound stage presentation, and speed. The Sundara headphone sound seems to be more transparent and faster. The Sundara headphone design, at least for me, seems to be more comfortable to wear for an extended period of time.

Audeze LCD 1
This is a loaner headphone which I borrowed to try to compare against the Sundara. Contrary to the Sundara, the LCD 1 is a headphone can match well with much lower cost amps. I have good success using lower cost amps to drive the Audeze with fairly good results.
The Sundara has a more transparent sound signature with higher resolving power for finer details. For rock/pop/heavy metal music, I think my tendency would be putting on the LCD 1, especially if I only connect it to a lower tier amp. For Jazz/light classical music, I would go with the Sundara.
The Sundara, at least for my listening position, is a more comfortable headphone to wear for extended period of time.

Focal Clear
Compared to my bench mark headphone, Focal Clear, the Sundara does not quite make it. However, if one does not know the price difference, one would definitely reach for the Focal. With the difference price points in mind, I think the Sundara is well worth its price.
Unlike the Sundara, the Focal is a much easier headphone to find matching system.
View attachment Sundara-101-4.jpg
Final Thought

The Sundara is a surprisingly musical headphone, it matches quite well with an analogue sounding system. With the right system, such as a R2R DAC based music chain and a good analogue amp, the headphone tends to fade away and leaves you with just the music.

Let’s hope the world would get back to normal soon.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #95 of 98
Hifiman Sundara
Mar 23, 2020

The world is going upside down, people are home bound and the news repeat the same topics over and over, just like a broken record.
While the world is in turmoil, when one has to stay at home, it is a great opportunity to spend time on your music.
This is my impression of the Hifiman Sundara, as part of the Loaner Review program provided by the Hifiman team.

System Description

System #1
Source – PC
Program - Foobar2000 v1.5.2
DAC – Toppings D50
Amp – Schiit Magni 3 & JDS Labs Atom
System #2
Source – Raspberry Pi 4B with HiFiberry Digi Pro & Justboom Digi+
Program – MoOde 6.4.2
DAC – Meridian Director and Audio GD R28
Amp – Audio GD R28
System #3
Source – Allo USBridge Signiture One with Audio GD DI20HE
Program – Moode 6.4.2
DAC – Audio GD R8HE
Amp – Sonic Frontier Line 3

Music format
CD in FLAC 16/44.1
Hi Res 24/96
DSD 64/128

Headphones for comparison
- Fostex T50RP
- Senniheiser HD 6xx
- Shure SRH840
- Audeze LCD 1
- Focal Clear

Equipment - Comfort/Look/Feel
The headphone arrives in great conditions, boxed properly with a luxury looking box. An adapter jack is provided for the two most popular single ended connectors (1/8 in and ¼ in). No balance cable is provided.
The black paint finish on the headphone metallic surface is very nicely done which matches quite well with the leather portion of the headphone.
All listening sessions were conducted with single ended 6.3mm (¼ in) plug. The length of the headphone comector wire is approximately 4 ft.
The headphone has a very comfortable feel when placed in my listening position. It can be worn for an extended period of time without problem.

Sound Impression
The sound signature is fast, accurate and very easy to listen to.
The headphone requires to be driven with good quality amplification, when compared to other headphones, the volume knob is normally at a much higher position to generate the same sound level.
When a good DAC is used, with good music, the headphone has the tendency to disappear, particular true with a hjgh quality source of music.

Headphone Impression
The following are my impressions when listening to the Sundara vs other headphones that I have a chance to try:

Fostex T50RP
The Sundara is a lot faster, more transparent and more comfortable. The Fostex is easier to match with lower power/cost amplifications.

Senniheiser HD 6xx
The Senniheiser HD 6xx matches better with a tube amp and has better presentation with human voices. For vocals, I would still go for the Senniheiser, especially when powered by a good tube amp.
The Sundara is a lot more vibrant and transparent in comparison.
Both the HD 6xx and the Sundara are equally comfortable and can be worn for an extended period of time.

Shure SRH840
The Shure is a very good multipurpose headphone that can be used for all kinds of music, from Bach to Adele.
When driven by a lower cost system, the Shure is just as good, if not better, to listen to as the Sundara. However, when matched with a good system, I like the music from the Sundara better in terms of its sound stage presentation, and speed. The Sundara headphone sound seems to be more transparent and faster. The Sundara headphone design, at least for me, seems to be more comfortable to wear for an extended period of time.

Audeze LCD 1
This is a loaner headphone which I borrowed to try to compare against the Sundara. Contrary to the Sundara, the LCD 1 is a headphone can match well with much lower cost amps. I have good success using lower cost amps to drive the Audeze with fairly good results.
The Sundara has a more transparent sound signature with higher resolving power for finer details. For rock/pop/heavy metal music, I think my tendency would be putting on the LCD 1, especially if I only connect it to a lower tier amp. For Jazz/light classical music, I would go with the Sundara.
The Sundara, at least for my listening position, is a more comfortable headphone to wear for extended period of time.

Focal Clear
Compared to my bench mark headphone, Focal Clear, the Sundara does not quite make it. However, if one does not know the price difference, one would definitely reach for the Focal. With the difference price points in mind, I think the Sundara is well worth its price.
Unlike the Sundara, the Focal is a much easier headphone to find matching system.

Final Thought

The Sundara is a surprisingly musical headphone, it matches quite well with an analogue sounding system. With the right system, such as a R2R DAC based music chain and a good analogue amp, the headphone tends to fade away and leaves you with just the music.

Let’s hope the world would get back to normal soon.
Great write up. I just recieved them. I believe I'm the last one.

First impressions are very positive. I'm really impressed with how fun and enjoyable these are.
I'll chime in more once I've had more time.

May 14, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #97 of 98
Well my time with the Sundaras has come to an end. Just for reference I was using a Rme Adi-2 DAC and Phonitor E to drive them. I have to say that I'm super impressed with them. I'm in no way an expert or reviewer. I currently own He6se, Diana V2, HD800, and Ether Cx.

So what I will say is that sometimes I get too focused on the equipment and not the music. I found these headphones made me enjoy the music. For a sub $500 (CDN) headphone, these are in my opinion a front runner. Bass, soundstage, imaging and treble where all very balanced.

I found myself recommending these to a few people that were interested in some mid tier headphones. For me these have the same wow factor that the HD650 had when I first heard them. The plus is they don't share the same Sennheiser veil.

The build quality was excellent and didn't exhibit any creaks or signs of failure. The only thing I found was the pads would rub against my ear in a way that after a couple hours would be noticeable. A inner cup "D" shape pad would most likely correct this. The weight was good as well.

I listened to all genres of music via tidal and Spotify. Watched movies and gamed with them. For me it's a great value and strong performer.

Thank you Hifiman for the opportunity. Again just my opinions.

May 14, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #98 of 98
^ I've been using my Sundaras with the Adi-2 DAC also. I will occasionally add a more capable amp, but for convenience I usually just use the Adi amp.

Couldn't agree more about the value

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back