HiFiMAN @ StereoExchange Headphone Event Thursday March 19 in New York City
Mar 17, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #32 of 51
Excellent. I look forward to the impressions! 
popcorn.gif

Mar 18, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #37 of 51
I'm planning on going to this.

I was thinking about bringing my HE-500s with the little mod I made to get feedback from HifiMan: http://www.head-fi.org/t/757174/a-new-he-500-earpad-mod-im-developing-thoughts

would that be a bad idea?

Mar 18, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #38 of 51

Oh yes. What we had at CES and in NYC was still a prototype. Fang and his team have been working diligently to improve the HE1000 and make it as good as possible. What Fang will have at Stereo Exchange will certainly be farther along but I suspect there will be more work to be done. Sonically, it is hard to imagine how it could be better than what he heard but Fang is determined to take it as far as possible. 

Peter,
have you heard the latest version yourself?
If yes, would you care to comment on the sound stage of this vs the prototype which was shown at the NY meeting ? Specificly the in-head-localization effect?
And no, I will not make it to the Stereo Exchange meeting...

Mar 18, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #39 of 51

Peter,
have you heard the latest version yourself?
If yes, would you care to comment on the sound stage of this vs the prototype which was shown at the NY meeting ? Specificly the in-head-localization effect?
And no, I will not make it to the Stereo Exchange meeting...

Thanks for asking. I was with Fang today at Stereo Exchange for a short while setting up for tomorrow's event. I did not get to hear the latest HE1000s because there were too many people in line! However the fit and finish are excellent and it was apparent that Fang and company have been busy working on them since January. 

When we left today there were two different customers at the store who came in today hoping to hear them because they are not available tomorrow. Shaping up to be an exciting event tomorrow.

Peter

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #41 of 51
  I'm planning on going to this.

I was thinking about bringing my HE-500s with the little mod I made to get feedback from HifiMan: http://www.head-fi.org/t/757174/a-new-he-500-earpad-mod-im-developing-thoughts

would that be a bad idea?

Honestly, while I would not want to tell you what to do, I think this event hosted by a vendor Stereo Exchange, as opposed to a meet, is not the best place for this. Plus, you avoid having to tell people that "these are my cans, not the store's " constantly. I would love to bring my Oppo PM-2s and compare them to various Audeze models on good amps to see if it is worth making a switch. But I don't think this is the time or place for that. Since I am interested in amps that SE sells, I could set that up with a salesperson. But I don't think an open house event with a lot of people milling around and lots of equipment out is the right time for that and will probably just cause problems for the host store, whose headphone event last summer was really excellent. Just my two cents.

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #42 of 51

Honestly, while I would not want to tell you what to do, I think this event hosted by a vendor Stereo Exchange, as opposed to a meet, is not the best place for this. Plus, you avoid having to tell people that "these are my cans, not the store's " constantly. I would love to bring my Oppo PM-2s and compare them to various Audeze models on good amps to see if it is worth making a switch. But I don't think this is the time or place for that. Since I am interested in amps that SE sells, I could set that up with a salesperson. But I don't think an open house event with a lot of people milling around and lots of equipment out is the right time for that and will probably just cause problems for the host store, whose headphone event last summer was really excellent. Just my two cents.

I contacted the store and they essentially mirrored what you said, so I won't be bringing them. It seemed like a rare opportunity to get feedback from the company directly, but no big deal.

Mar 19, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #44 of 51
I attended the event today at the NY Stereo Exchange, here is my unofficial "review", as I consider myself an enthusiast looking for the most bang for the buck.  I did not spend more than five minutes listening to any product, and those that I did I used my iPhone 5's offline TIDAL content of Steely Dan's Aja album.

1. Master & Dynamic

Build quality and materials as nice as has been written.  The leather makes a nice seal and passive isolation.  However, almost immediately my ears began to perspire.  I recall the frustration I had with the ATH-50's, so much so that I wrapped the pleather with cut-off socks, only to be replaced by a different set of headphones; Beyer DT-770 80 and their velour.  I was surprised that the cabling does not go through the metal poles, and are wrapped in rubber, and not a tight mesh cloth.  Very good dynamic range, not as tight of bass as I would expect, but definitely not anything near the Bose bloat.  I have small ears, be warned that the ear cups are narrow and not very deep.

2.  Peachtree Audio - DeepBlue2 (not at the show) Shift.

I learned that Darda is not at the company, Jeff Coates runs sales.  I spent the most time talking to him as I am so pleased with the DeepBlue2, having purchased it via crowdfunding and wanted to personally express my satisfaction.  I was surprised to hear that there is indeed organic wood material, medium-density fiberboard.  This speaker, in my view, handles kick-drums, Jack Cassidy's bass, Frank Zappa's horns, marimba, guitar, and the Ojay's fast snare drum on "I Love Music."  Soft , or Loud, its voicing adjusts.

I got to hold and hear the Shift. If you like "proud of ownership" and the tactile feel of holding something nice, the leather covering feels so luxurious.  I was unable to listen to the DAC on my iPhone, as the data pins got bent having made the recent mistake of purchasing from Skiva a one-piece battery case.  Do NOT buy a one-peice battery case, the angle of approach bends the pins way too far.  The Mophie case's jacks have failed on me three times, so they are not viable.

As to SQ, wow. Admittedly, I was listening to a high-end Grado (forgot which model), but on Pearl Jam's "Jeremy" I heard things I never before heard. So, it may come down to this and Denon's DA-10...whose volume knob appeals to me, in addition to their reputation.

3.  Audeze

I had never listened to one before; I played the entry level, 8's (IIRC) and one of their high-ends; can one judge a headphone by what one does NOT hear?  Now I know what black background sounds like.  My life is ruined.

4.  Phonon SMB-02

These are described as neutral monitors.  At first glance, I thought they were circumaural, but they are on-ears.  For on-ears they are larger than typical, which I now realize makes a lot of sense; it disperses the force on the ears more broadly and therefore more comfortable, especially for an eye-glass wearer as myself.  As on-ears, they sit flat on the ear, very tiny depth in the cup.  Better dynamic range than the M&Ds; amazing treble...detailed and no pain at all. These are a possibility.

5. Beyer Custom Ones

I am not much for publicly wearing headphones, not into that fashion statement.  These were surprisingly good without regard to their price.  I need to listen to them again.  Way different voicing than my DT-770s which are my home cans.

6.  DUBS

These are acoustic filters that kinda look like IEMs, and are intended to protect one's ears during loud concerts, squeeching sound of trains, and the like.  The saleswoman was very knowledge-able; I have been in sales, she really had conviction.  I bought a set for $25, and did not suffer when the subway approached the 14th Street station, if you have been there... you know what i mean.  I am buying a set for my teenage son.

7.  David Solomon and NY Stereo Exchange.

So, I having a rapt, enthusiastic discussion with Jeff Coates from Peachtree Audio, and the co-owner of NY Stereo Exchange says, to me, "enough talking, get up front!"

"Huh?"

"Oh my G-d, I thought you were David Solomon?!"

So, I find the fellow.

"hey, anyone ever tell you how good looking you are?"

and he smiles.

Fortunately, he is a well-known and universally respected and liked person.

Phew !

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #45 of 51
First of all, thanks to Stereo Exchange for doing this. I hope it was a successful promotion for them. I enjoyed getting my first listen to the new Audeze closed-back and plan to return to give them a more serious listen (I'm in the market for a new closed-back for work). One suggestion, it was so LOUD in that small HiFiMan room that I could not really get a sense of the HE1000 even with the volume cranked. It is such an open headphone that one hears all the sound in the room. Perhaps next time be more diligent in asking those having extended conversations to step out of that little room. It would make for a better audition to have some quiet and not be elbow to elbow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back