HIFIMAN Shangri-La: The New Electrostatic Headphones From HIFIMAN
Jan 8, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #76 of 1,085
Obligatory: Inb4 $55,000 price tag.

But seriously the SL looks jaw-dropping. This may replace the SR-009 as my "end-game" rig when I get that kind of cash I can't wait for a SR-009 vs SL review. I hope that we get some ideas of the pricing soon. A quick question though as I couldnt really tell from the pictures... Does it use a Stax connector or a custom connector like the HE1060 / HE90 / HE60 / KOSS 950?

- InsanityOne 
o2smile.gif

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #77 of 1,085
Obligatory: Inb4 $55,000 price tag.

But seriously the SL looks jaw-dropping. This may replace the SR-009 as my "end-game" rig when I get that kind of cash I can't wait for a SR-009 vs SL review. I hope that we get some ideas of the pricing soon. A quick question though as I couldnt really tell from the pictures... Does it use a Stax connector or a custom connector like the HE1060 / HE90 / HE60 / KOSS 950?

- InsanityOne :o2smile:

Stax connector.

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #78 of 1,085
If this headphone system costs $30,000+ and the build quality is the same as the rest of Hifimans stuff.......then...uwotm8. I'll stick with purchasing the SR-009 in the future, and hopefully it will be even cheaper if Stax release a new flagship. The SR-009 is still the best headphone I have heard (out of a unmodded 727 no less.) Diminishing returns probably comes into effect with regards to the Orpheus 2 and Shangri-la, but I haven't heard them so I can't say for sure. Are they worth the coin over the SR-009 for that extra 5-10%? I suppose that is up to the buyer to decide. For me, I wouldn't reckon they are, but again, I have not heard them so I can't say for sure. 

Hifiman, if you are going to charge Orpheus 2 prices for this system, you better up your build quality/quality of materials  used game. Don't rip people off like you are with the HE1000. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #79 of 1,085
regardless the sound in 45k i excpect nothing more than marble stone amp and headphone that look like a battle ship from Battlestar Galactica. now seriously, no investment on design and materials, its bit of disrespect to ask that price with no attention to redesign product that should be ultra high end.

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #80 of 1,085
6-8k price without an amp would be the sweet spot. The owner would then use an electrostatic amp to his own liking.

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #82 of 1,085
I remember reading the HE1000 was labeled by HFM as what was possible, regardless of price [in that sense then, it coming out at 3K was not THAT terrible] which makes me think the SL won't be priced above 10K, at least not separately,
I think it is alright, as long as it is sol separately, for the SL e-stat amp to be expensive, just like the EF1000 eventually will be.
I do believe the SL will not be many times the price of the HEK if also sold separately. My guess would between 3 and 6K for the headphone if sold alone 
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #83 of 1,085
  I remember reading the HE1000 was labeled by HFM as what was possible, regardless of price [in that sense then, it coming out at 3K was not THAT terrible] which makes me think the SL won't be priced above 10K, at least not separately,
I think it is alright, as long as it is sol separately, for the SL e-stat amp to be expensive, just like the EF1000 eventually will be.
I do believe the SL will not be many times the price of the HEK if also sold separately. My guess would between 3 and 6K for the headphone if sold alone 
wink.gif

well, I think HFM can still hold that line and say the HEK is what was/is currently possible with a planar design regardless of price, while the SL is what is possible with an electrostat

Jan 8, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #84 of 1,085

well, I think HFM can still hold that line and say the HEK is what was/is currently possible with a planar design regardless of price, while the SL is what is possible with an electrostat

Sure, as long as it is not used to justify the SL costing tens of thousands of dollars 
biggrin.gif

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #86 of 1,085
Try telling Abyss lovers that, IMO.

Did you ever think maybe it's time to...

LET IT GO

PS: Don't forget that Stax will launch the T2 successor this year, and probably the SR-009 successor too, this will be an interesting year on the headphone market for sure!

Has that been confirmed?  Or are you just crossing your fingers?

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #87 of 1,085
  If Hifiman sells the Shangri-La separated from the amp (not like a complete headphone system like Orpheus II), and in the 5-8k price range, being compatible with Stax amps and sounding even better than the new Orpheus, they will sell a gazillion of them, damn, I even will buy if I have the money!
BUT, if they price it like the new Orpheus...makes no sense to spend that money on headphones.

PS: Don't forget that Stax will launch the T2 successor this year, and probably the SR-009 successor too, this will be an interesting year on the headphone market for sure!

Are you sure that Stax will launch a T2 successor this year?  If so, this won't be cheap period.  The original T2 was 468k yen in 1994.  This will be a great news but very expensive product if they do.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #88 of 1,085
  Are you sure that Stax will launch a T2 successor this year?  If so, this won't be cheap period.  The original T2 was 468k yen in 1994.  This will be a great news but very expensive product if they do.

http://ces.zol.com.cn/5622104.html

If you translate the text at the bottom of the web, it says:

"Also on the traditional products still bring its flagship SR-009, and with the SR-009 represents Cruiser flagship amp has entered the development stage at the end, in 2016 it is expected to meet with consumers."

It makes a lot of sense if you read the thread of the Stax factory tour (12/12/12):
http://www.head-fi.org/t/650210/stax-interview-and-factory-tour-12-12-12

"13. Is there a plan for a flagship amp to go along with the 009?

[Mr. Sasaki] Yes, we have a plan for this. But it will take some more time, as design is done one product at a time.

14. Can we expect a product reminiscent of the SRM-T2? If a product like the SRM-T2 if out of question, what are the typical barriers to produce again (weight, size, end price)?

[Mr. Meguro] The SRM-T2 was originally released as a partner amp for the SR-Omega. Both products had the same retail price of 180kJPY at the time (18 years ago).*[See footnote 1] We're looking now at the SR-009 which retails for almost double the Omega. Also, if we are to bring a new flagship amp to the market, it would have to exceed the performance of the T2, no less. So, we are taking all these factors into consideration and are currently in the design phase.
The design has effectively started and we are at the stage of deciding on an enclosure size and such. The fundamental design is complete actually but there is a lot more left such as the casing because it certainly won't fit in the current enclosures."

This was more than two years ago, and from a Stax interview...so everything points that the T2 successor will be out this year :)

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #89 of 1,085
  6-8k price without an amp would be the sweet spot. The owner would then use an electrostatic amp to his own liking.

Um, sweet for who? I think matching or beating the SR-009 price would be ideal. If they did that and also had similar build and sound quality, I would probably buy it as soon as it is released (just to have as a change of pace/flavor from my SR-009).

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #90 of 1,085
Why are audio companies starting to release their "flagship" headphones alongside an amp or amp / dac combo? Personally, I just want the headphone, I don't even care if the amp was "designed from the ground up to pair with this headphone." I think these companies should let the consumer decide what amp / dac goes best with the headphone as we are not incompetent.

If the SL is only available as a package with that amp in the picture, it will be an instant no-buy from me. I don't care for companies that include extra "fluff" like amps / dacs or useless accessories with their headphones just to increase the pricetag. But if Hifiman releases a package where you can just buy the headphone then I will definitely get one.

- InsanityOne
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back