HIFIMAN Shangri-La: The New Electrostatic Headphones From HIFIMAN
Jan 7, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #61 of 1,057
Great, so the Abyss is a step above the three headphones ...

Having also heard the Abyss, IMO I don't think that.

@chowmein83, would you post some photos of both cans? Some of us may not believe the impressions without any images.

btw, the source is a DAP, if you carry a Yggy to there at that time, do you think the HSL will surpass every single HPs in history pretty simply?

I can try to stop by the Hifiman booth again today to take more pictures, but I only have some somewhat blurry photos of the new Oprheus system. Unfortunately, I don't think I can get back in to take more photos of Sennheiser's TOTL because you technically do need an appointment to see it, and lots of people are actually waiting to listen to it.
frown.gif

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #62 of 1,057
  Oh, couple more things before I forget.

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but the SL will be compatible with Stax amps. That is to say, the cable type/connector and electrical requirements are the same as Stax headphones.

Similarly, the electrostatic tube amp will be compatible with Stax headphones. HFM said to me that they want to create an electrostatic amp that not only drives the SL well, but to also make Stax headphones sound better than with Stax amps.

According to HFM, the prototype that I heard is about 75-80% done. And apparently the electrostatic amp isn't final yet either. So they seemed to imply that it will probably sound better by release.

Speaking of release, it sounds like they are looking at getting at least the SL out 6 months from now, if not more.

In this case, I suspect the pricing of these special amps maybe priced around 10K or under as none of the current third party Stax amps are higher than that price point.  A loaded BHSE is near 8K.
Of course, if HiFiman uses teflon and other fancy ingredients inside the SL amp, that price point could break above 10K,
Very few 300B based amps are above 15K, as far as I know.

Jan 7, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #63 of 1,057
In my opinion, a direct comparison must be made before we can truly judge the the new hifiman electro stats against the the sr-009 let alone the new Orpheus. I appreciate and welcome the impression but I am of the mindset where it is difficult to go from room to room and make a comparison without using the same source and materials and rely on memory. One thing that the hifiman did get right is the termination with 5 pole stax plug. My kgsshv carbon, bhse, and T2 will be ready if the SL is not too overly expensive.

Jan 7, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #64 of 1,057
'The new hifiman's bass hits hard but not as hard as the he1000'

lol wut?

I'm sorry but however much I can praise the bass of the he1000 - it does NOT hit 'hard'.

I'll wait for more accurate impressions.

"As hard" is a relative term.  "Hard" is an absolute term.  I don't see how your assessment of the HE1000 invalidates his comparative statement of the two. 

If you don't want to believe him, that's fine.  But there's no reason not to be civil about it, especially when your reasoning is flawed.

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #65 of 1,057
I have a feeling that if the SR-009 first came out in a couple of months with a $100000 price tag, people would talk about how they have far superior accuracy/separation/PINPOINT (lol) imaging/etc/etc compared to the Shrangrila..

Jan 7, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #66 of 1,057
I'll be hearing it tomorrow.  Sucks that it'll be completely useless and tell me nothing about how it sounds.  :frowning2:

Don't worry, I'll bring my Portapros and Zune so I have a basis of comparison.

Jan 7, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #68 of 1,057

However, I seriously feel that headphones like the HE1000 and the Stax SR-009 are not very far behind at all in terms of sound quality either. Sure, these new electrostats from Hifiman and Sennheiser are really better than everything else that has come before IMO, but it really isn't that big of a leap. To put it another way, I feel that the leap from HE1000 to SL isn't anywhere near as large as the leap from the HE560 to the HE1000 (which IMO is quite large).

Hopefully people found this helpful and interesting!

Thanks for the review and for putting things in perspective.

Jan 8, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #69 of 1,057
I am the last one to comment on the ascetics of a product (I have a DT150 hanging in my collection ), sound is what's important.

That being said, why would the wood trim of the headphone not match that of the amp at that perspective price point? Anyone else get that 70's wood panel station wagon vibe?

Jan 8, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #70 of 1,057
I also got a chance to listen to both the new Orpheus and the Shangri-La today.  (Orpheus yesterday, SL today). I have to say I was disappointed in the new Orpheus when I heard it.  Very crisp and accurate sound, great soundstage, separation and definition, but not at all like the Orpheus we all hold in such high regard (I got to spend some time with that setup last year here at CES).  The new one doesn't have the warmth and richness, so just didn't give me the same emotional and visceral experience.  Then I heard the SL. For me it was clearly a better listening experience than the new Orpheus -- same clarity, soundstage, definition, etc.  But I find the new Orpheus to sound a bit "sterile" -- too clean for my tastes.  It is more similar to the HD800 in that respect.  Very accurate and detailed, but I prefer the little taste of warmth to the sound signature.  

I spoke briefly to Dr Fang Bian, and told him what I heard at Sennheiser about the pricing - that they are priced at 55,000 Euro over on the continent. I think he had heard they were 55K US, and was surprised.  That said, I still thought the price point would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $15K, but that's not because of anything he said.  It may well be that these come out at over 30, especially if that Orpheus price is used as any kind of barometer.  I do think that Sennheiser is trading off of the reputation and lore of the prior Orpheus in setting the price for their new model, and that it also comes with a very steep vanity tax as someone suggested.  So it would be disappointing to see the SL come in too high and not reach its audience (not that I don't want to see Fang Bian enjoy the fruits of his labor of love with this achievement!).

As someone else suggested, I also got the sense it will be roughly six months before these are really available.  

As a footnote, I really wish Sennheiser had brought the original Orpheus for a side-by-side.  I still think that is the pinnacle, and there's a reason Sennheiser didn't bring it along for a comparison...

Mike 

Jan 8, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #71 of 1,057
Very interesting feedbacks, but I feel it coming, the same sense of frustration I have with Orpheus 2 feeds : very few comparisons with 009 + T2-class amps.

Looking at Orpheus 2, we have :
- Jude, who owns 009 + F. Cooter's amp (  ) and did some comparisons @ Sennheiser, but no information about the amp which was driving 009. 
- Nomax, but not that easy to catch the point among the exclamations 
ph34r.gif

- lots of "uneducated critical headphones listeners", should they be famous musicians
- lots of theory, Sennheiser Orpheus => can't be anything else than best thing evar...no misunderstanding, I consider Sennheiser as one of if THE most competent and consistent company in this hobby, even if killer amps are not its game

Eagerly waiting for feedbacks from Purk / N3rdling / Mulveling (for instance), who know their stuff and have overcome the regular Stax fanboy-ism within which I'm deeply engaged 
biggrin.gif

Ali

Jan 8, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #72 of 1,057
I am the last one to comment on the ascetics of a product (I have a DT150 hanging in my collection ), sound is what's important.

That being said, why would the wood trim of the headphone not match that of the amp at that perspective price point? Anyone else get that 70's wood panel station wagon vibe?

Some exotic wood veneer would have looked much better. That looks like a piece of wood that was just laying around the workshop! I know it's about the sound but aesthetics are important too, especially at these elevated price points. Just looks blah.

Jan 8, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #74 of 1,057
If Hifiman sells the Shangri-La separated from the amp (not like a complete headphone system like Orpheus II), and in the 5-8k price range, being compatible with Stax amps and sounding even better than the new Orpheus, they will sell a gazillion of them, damn, I even will buy if I have the money!
BUT, if they price it like the new Orpheus...makes no sense to spend that money on headphones.

PS: Don't forget that Stax will launch the T2 successor this year, and probably the SR-009 successor too, this will be an interesting year on the headphone market for sure!

Jan 8, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #75 of 1,057
David1951 wrote "Try telling Abyss lovers that, IMO."

Hey, Abyss lovers, your headphones have absolutely no aesthetical redeeming fearures.  
blink.gif

They belong somewhere in the medieval era worn by some metal-clad knight astride a draught horse and telegraph pole under his armpit.    
basshead.gif

But, I did like the sound reproduction when I auditioned one, and my neck is still un-truncated. 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back