HIFIMAN Shangri-La: The New Electrostatic Headphones From HIFIMAN
Mar 17, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #751 of 1,090
Hello I changed my 300B on my viva stx for Elrog 300 B Mo: very clear improvement on my senior shangri. These tubes are expensive but if you have the means you will not be disappointed.

I have been waiting for my stax Sr-x9000 for 5 months!
Has anyone been able to compare this stax to the shangri senior?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/qui...e60-baby-orpheus.930051/page-19#post-16810713

With a few more impressions later in the thread. Since I first compared them, the SGL has come out a bit ahead of the pack in comparison to the x9000, with the most clear differences being increased speed, more precise imaging and improved realism (tonal density, more life-like vocals and instruments). These are all slight, but noticeable. I would still say the x9000 is a bit ahead of the pack of everything else I've heard, in similar fashion to the SGL Sr and is an insane value coming as close to the SGL as it does technically for a far, far lower price.

Ok, so these are obviously very very early impressions, and I want to be clear I may change my mind as I get used to the Sr's over the next little bit.

The first impression is that they very much sound like a pair of Hifimans, and are perhaps the most well done expression of that sound, that I have heard. I thought they might actually be harder to drive from what I have read here but the BHSE seems to be doing just fine with them.

I have wanted to hear these headphones since 2016 when they were released, so this has been a really neat opportunity.

I sold my Susvara and shipped them out a couple days ago (covered purchasing the CRBNs,) but I can make a comparison from memory.

I do think they are more detailed and technically proficient than the Susvara, but not like.. Leaps and bounds that the vast gulf in MSRP may suggest. The tonal balance is a bit different, a tiny bit less warm and a bit brighter, which may lend itself towards sounding more detailed also. Not so bright that I'm wincing or experiencing sibilance and sheen with cymbals either. The Susvara do sound a bit "sweeter" from memory. The bass seems to be fairly similar in terms of level. On the Susvara I always ran a bit of a low shelve via EQ as there just wasn't enough bass for my preferences, and I was worried the Sr may not cope well with a similar low shelve. Surprisingly it takes it like a champ and I would thoroughly recommend trying that out if you prefer a more robust bass response than strictly neutral or less than neutral. Soundstage seems taller than the Susvara and similar to the HE1000 series in height, due to the shape I think. Imaging and superb layering might be where these excel the most so far imo, everything is very well presented and placed throughout the soundstage. Soundstage width is similar to the Susvara, but the depth is better.

Also, all of this is relative. I don't want to make it sound like the Susvara is massively lagging behind, because it isn't, but there is a difference. Of course, this is very early impressions and as I listen more those impressions may change.

Would I buy a pair of my own Sr's? I'm not sure man. If I had an unlimited budget, yes, so far, I absolutely would. If they were the same MSRP as the Susvara? Yes I absolutely would. My current plan, enjoy them for the little while I have them, and hey, maybe try out the JR's at some point : )

Having compared the Susvara and SGL Sr. immensely & owning both for months on end, I'd say this is extremely accurate. The SGL takes everything the Susvara does, with similar voicing or Hifiman tuning (except tonality) and does everything technically better. The Susvara definitely is a bit "sweeter" or warmer, with the SGL having more energy/clarity without sounding overly bright or offensive. Also found the same regarding bass between the two, very similar ultimately. Lastly, agree that the differences are nowhere near linear as it relates to price--like at all lol (Susvara is still ridiculously good). So I definitely agree there as well.. the only thing I'd add is that thought the differences aren't massive relatively, they do become even more appreciable over time.

Just saying this is spot on from my experience as well. Enjoy them! Also interested in your impressions against the other headphones you mentioned owning/having as well. :)

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #752 of 1,090
Ok, so these are obviously very very early impressions, and I want to be clear I may change my mind as I get used to the Sr's over the next little bit.

The first impression is that they very much sound like a pair of Hifimans, and are perhaps the most well done expression of that sound, that I have heard. I thought they might actually be harder to drive from what I have read here but the BHSE seems to be doing just fine with them.

I have wanted to hear these headphones since 2016 when they were released, so this has been a really neat opportunity.

I sold my Susvara and shipped them out a couple days ago (covered purchasing the CRBNs,) but I can make a comparison from memory.

I do think they are more detailed and technically proficient than the Susvara, but not like.. Leaps and bounds that the vast gulf in MSRP may suggest. The tonal balance is a bit different, a tiny bit less warm and a bit brighter, which may lend itself towards sounding more detailed also. Not so bright that I'm wincing or experiencing sibilance and sheen with cymbals either. The Susvara do sound a bit "sweeter" from memory. The bass seems to be fairly similar in terms of level. On the Susvara I always ran a bit of a low shelve via EQ as there just wasn't enough bass for my preferences, and I was worried the Sr may not cope well with a similar low shelve. Surprisingly it takes it like a champ and I would thoroughly recommend trying that out if you prefer a more robust bass response than strictly neutral or less than neutral. Soundstage seems taller than the Susvara and similar to the HE1000 series in height, due to the shape I think. Imaging and superb layering might be where these excel the most so far imo, everything is very well presented and placed throughout the soundstage. Soundstage width is similar to the Susvara, but the depth is better.

Also, all of this is relative. I don't want to make it sound like the Susvara is massively lagging behind, because it isn't, but there is a difference. Of course, this is very early impressions and as I listen more those impressions may change.

Would I buy a pair of my own Sr's? I'm not sure man. If I had an unlimited budget, yes, so far, I absolutely would. If they were the same MSRP as the Susvara? Yes I absolutely would. My current plan, enjoy them for the little while I have them, and hey, maybe try out the JR's at some point : )
Nice impressions. Sounds like they have a similar tone to the JR. Do give the JRs a listen. They are massively underrated.

Mar 17, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #753 of 1,090
Nice impressions. Sounds like they have a similar tone to the JR. Do give the JRs a listen. They are massively underrated.
I'll do my best to get my ears on a pair at some point for sure. I think I might like them given the impressions from others and the sound coming from the Sr's.

Mar 18, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #754 of 1,090
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/qui...e60-baby-orpheus.930051/page-19#post-16810713

With a few more impressions later in the thread. Since I first compared them, the SGL has come out a bit ahead of the pack in comparison to the x9000, with the most clear differences being increased speed, more precise imaging and improved realism (tonal density, more life-like vocals and instruments). These are all slight, but noticeable. I would still say the x9000 is a bit ahead of the pack of everything else I've heard, in similar fashion to the SGL Sr and is an insane value coming as close to the SGL as it does technically for a far, far lower price.

Having compared the Susvara and SGL Sr. immensely & owning both for months on end, I'd say this extremely accurate. The SGL takes everything the Susvara does, with similar voicing or Hifiman tuning (except tonality) and does everything technically better. The Susvara definitely is a bit "sweeter" or warmer, with the SGL having more energy/clarity without sounding overly bright or offensive. Also found the same regarding bass between the two, very similar ultimately. Lastly, agree that the differences are nowhere near linear as it relates to price--like at all lol (Susvara is still ridiculously good). So I definitely agree there as well.. the only thing I'd add is that thought the differences aren't massive relatively, they do become even more appreciable over time.

Just saying this is spot on from my experience as well. Enjoy them! Also interested in your impressions against the other headphones you mentioned owning/having as well. :)

That's really interesting that you are hearing them in a similar manner to me. I have a friend who heard them and massively wasn't impressed (and he could certainly afford them if he chose too) so I was really curious how I would feel about them. I'm listening to a bit Aurora (first album) right now, and the SR's are doing some stuff better than I have ever heard them done before. Would recommend checking out the following album on the Sr's, as I felt it showed their strengths off well (though I like this album on any headphone.)

Mar 18, 2022 at 1:12 AM Post #755 of 1,090
That's really interesting that you are hearing them in a similar manner to me. I have a friend who heard them and massively wasn't impressed (and he could certainly afford them if he chose too) so I was really curious how I would feel about them. I'm listening to a bit Aurora (first album) right now, and the SR's are doing some stuff better than I have ever heard them done before. Would recommend checking out the following album on the Sr's, as I felt it showed their strengths off well (though I like this album on any headphone.)

They could just not be for him which is ok, but which headphones did he come from and was it just a one time session? One thing that was interesting with my path is that I was really unimpressed with the Susvara the first few weeks. The Susvara's 'magic' is a bit more subtle and I ended up being amazed far later. The SGL struck me as a bit similar in that regard (it's very complete and doesn't have one aspect of sound that overpowers or stands out over another) and I think I was only able to pick up how good they were quickly because of the experience and familiarity with the Susvaras. 45min in on the first listen, I knew they were special and could pick up how--think that may have been different if I hadn't had the Sus first.

And these tracks definitely show off what they can do. May save for testing/comparison purposes in the future lol

Mar 18, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #756 of 1,090
New owner of the Jr. here :)

Attachments

• IMG_20220318_201938_208.jpg
    IMG_20220318_201938_208.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220318_201924_073.jpg
    IMG_20220318_201924_073.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220318_201946_475.jpg
    IMG_20220318_201946_475.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220318_202012_361.jpg
    IMG_20220318_202012_361.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 0
Apr 6, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #758 of 1,090
After reading through this thread, I placed my order for the Shangri-La Sr. How long did it take anyone to get their phones once the order was placed a through US dealer? Thanks.

Apr 7, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #759 of 1,090
After reading through this thread, I placed my order for the Shangri-La Sr. How long did it take anyone to get their phones once the order was placed a through US dealer? Thanks.
I ordered a month or two ago. No estimate shipped date yet, and China is going through part shortages and covid issues. I expect it to be summer or even fall before I get mine.

Apr 7, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #760 of 1,090
Wow. It’s the same as ordering an x9000. I would have thought that there would be units warehoused and ready to ship. Disappointing.

Apr 8, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #762 of 1,090
Wow. It’s the same as ordering an x9000. I would have thought that there would be units warehoused and ready to ship. Disappointing.

Almost all of the super premium headphones are hand made to order. That's just how it is.

As the poster above, it also took 3 months for mine. Well worth the wait however.

Apr 8, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #763 of 1,090
Almost all of the super premium headphones are hand made to order. That's just how it is.

As the poster above, it also took 3 months for mine. Well worth the wait however.
Yes, you are right. I got confirmation from Hifiman yesterday saying to expect it to ship 2 to 3 months. I won’t tell any of my friends what this headphone costs as they would call me crazy. Truly, this has to be the final end game for me. I can’t wait to get them!

Apr 8, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #764 of 1,090
Yes, you are right. I got confirmation from Hifiman yesterday saying to expect it to ship 2 to 3 months. I won’t tell any of my friends what this headphone costs as they would call me crazy. Truly, this has to be the final end game for me. I can’t wait to get them!

I haven't even told my fiancee how much I paid for them lol. She does know the value of my gear overall and that I can sell at any point if needed and recoup a good portion of the value. I'll probably never tell a soul lol

Apr 8, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #765 of 1,090
I haven't even told my fiancee how much I paid for them lol. She does know the value of my gear overall and that I can sell at any point if needed and recoup a good portion of the value. I'll probably never tell a soul lol
My wife don’t know the value of my gear either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back