HIFIMAN Shangri-La: The New Electrostatic Headphones From HIFIMAN
Aug 8, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #631 of 1,057
Has anyone tried the Shangri-La's on a DIY-T2?
I liked the original Shangri-La combo (I found it better than the HE-1) and I've been wondering how these headphones scale with amplification.
Although the T2 is known for boosting the performance of STAX cans, it has done so to my HE90s too (I actually prefer the HE90s over the SR-009s with the T2).
I'm curious whether the Shangri-La's would benefit from the T2 to the same extent.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2020 at 4:41 AM Post #632 of 1,057
I've had the Susvara and really liked them. To my ears, they were the smoothest and most neutral sounding headphones imo
So out of curiosity, I ordered HFM's biggest brother, the Shangri-La SR headphones and received them
Are they world's best headphones? Are they better than Sennheiser Orpheus 2 HE-1? Right now I don't know..
First quick impressions, the build quality is not that great for the price, cheap-looking cable, small cracks in wooden rings
I don't think the material for earpads are real leather, which is not that satisfactory
The most important, the sound is too bright for my taste, even with HeadAmp BHSE tube amp, not that neutral-sounding, kinda hard to listen for long period
I don't really believe the burn-in, but I guess these headphones definitely need one
Still super detailed, widest soundstage i've ever heard

Are they worth the price? Definitely not
If you're looking for good electrostatic headphones, buy Stax SR-009s, I've owned them about one year, they are much more recommendable

Not that regretting purchase, pretty like their unique sound, worth trying demo unit for once
I heard that the demo unit is available to listen to in Switzerland, shop called Audio Visual Factory
I hope HFM will not release the improved Shangri-La V2 for years, unlike the HE1000, V2, SE...

HiFiMan Shangri-La Senior Headphones
Thanks for watching

BE767CCA-06BB-4275-A380-EA41454E0C7F.jpeg

Nov 29, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #633 of 1,057
I've had the Susvara and really liked them. To my ears, they were the smoothest and most neutral sounding headphones imo
So out of curiosity, I ordered HFM's biggest brother, the Shangri-La SR headphones and received them
Are they world's best headphones? Are they better than Sennheiser Orpheus 2 HE-1? Right now I don't know..
First quick impressions, the build quality is not that great for the price, cheap-looking cable, small cracks in wooden rings
I don't think the material for earpads are real leather, which is not that satisfactory
The most important, the sound is too bright for my taste, even with HeadAmp BHSE tube amp, not that neutral-sounding, kinda hard to listen for long period
I don't really believe the burn-in, but I guess these headphones definitely need one

If you're looking for good electrostatic headphones, buy Stax SR-009s, I've owned them about one year, they are much more recommendable

Not that regretting purchase, pretty like their unique sound, worth trying demo unit for once
I heard that the demo unit is available to listen to in Switzerland, shop called Audio Visual Factory
I hope HFM will not release the improved Shangri-La V2 for years, unlike the HE1000, V2, SE...

Thanks for watching

I’m curious to hear your impressions after having owned it for a few months. Have your opinions changed at all?

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #634 of 1,057

Thanks for watching

So this was the Shangri La but without the Hifiman amp right?

Feb 4, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #635 of 1,057
I was chasing the HE-90 sound, but ended up with a Shangri-La SR, instead. Thanks @robotnize for sending me your new, second, pre-ordered pair. You must have decided they're OK, since you wound up owning two pairs! I've noticed that locating an HE-90 in pristine condition, without the amplifier, is an often futile effort.

These are some brief comments from my comparative listening notes, which I use for tube rolling, on a tube rectified and regulated Stax Megatron amplifier; the T2 is coming in June (sorry):

Input tubes (GEC/Osram U709 rectifier, Tesla E83CC regulator ):
1952 Raytheon 5814 -> 1957 Sylvania JHS 5751 Triple Mica Black Plates

Output tubes (Philips Holland Metal Base GZ34 x 2 rectifiers, Telefunken EL84 military falcon regulator):
Philips Holland EL34 Metal Base

The following tubes were chosen in an effort to highlight the strengths of both headphones in the comparison:

1952 Raytheon 5814 - Pristine early 50's sound - huge, bold, dynamic, dark, syrupy
1957 Sylvania JHS 5751 Triple Mica Black Plates - Top body, focus and sparkle across the frequency response in the 12AX7 family

HE-60:

This is the headphone to listen to at full blast. FR is balanced, timbre is fairly accurate, possessing the classic Sennheiser house sound. These convey the most dynamic and condensed, concentrated electrostatic sound. Possibly the most outright, over-the-top fun electrostatic headphone - like the first time you listened to the HD650. Staging is small, but you don't mind one bit. Treble is maybe a little ragged, but not in a painful way. Presentation is definitely a little bit amateurish compared to some of its big brothers. Mids and bass are generous. This is, for a first time electrostatic headphone owner, the best headphone to own, for the most music. Easy to drive. A true all-rounder.

Shangri-La SR:

The Shangri-La is simply immensely larger, more detailed, goes deeper, far higher, and, of course, is for more emotive and euphonic, which is logical given its physical size. FR is incomparably more accurate. It is also at least twice as hard to drive, being about 30% harder to drive than the early serial number SR-007 MK1, for example.

Conclusion:

The HE-60 is a super HD650, incredibly fun and easy to listen to. It's the best first electrostatic headphone to own. In the absence of peers, it's a 9.5/10. Given its peers, it's a solid 8/10. Indeed, my pair are heading on their way today to a very fine, young, AKG employee. They will be his first electrostatic headphones.

The Shangri-La SR is a super.... something else. The staging and out-of-head experience is far greater than even that of the HD800/S, of which I've owned two pairs. The HE-60 is very much in-your-head, while the Shangri-La SR is completely out-of-your-head. It's goes beyond the typical expectations of transparency, disappearing entirely from the listening experience. The technical and timbre aspects of its performance are rather peerless, but more on that, later. It might be the best last electrostatic headphone to own.

he60.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #636 of 1,057
These are some brief comments from my comparative listening notes, along with some explanatory notes and background information.

Input tubes (Philips Holland EZ81 rectifier, Tesla E83CC regulator ):
1958 Amperex Holland Long Plates Foil Getter 12AU7 -> 1958 Mazda 5 Star Triple Mica Silver Plate 5751

Output tubes (Philips Holland Metal Base GZ34 x 2 rectifiers, Telefunken EL84 military falcon regulator):

The following tubes were chosen in an effort to highlight the strengths of both headphones in the comparison:

1958 Amperex Holland Long Plates Foil Getter 12AU7- The most holographic 12AU7, with the highest degree of treble harmonics and overtones; more meat on the bones than the coveted 7316 ct0 instrumentation-grade variant
1958 Mazda 5 Star Triple Mica Silver Plate 5751 - Easily the most holographic and direct sounding 5751
Rectifier - I won't get into these too much. Suffice it to say, they determine the attack, nuance and dynamics of the presentation. Think of the difference between guitar picks, from softest to hardest, applied to nylon strings vs banjo. Rectifiers are great for enhancing the naturalness of string performances, but are not really that useful for other music, in my experience.

SR-009S:

Background: I've owned both the 009 and now the 009S. I want to love them, but I never truly have. I miss the 009. Somehow, it was more impactful, dynamic, and simply had more life, along with an occasional euphonic burst. I enjoyed it more, and gladly listened to it alongside the 007. The 009S is more correct in every way. But they're like your friend's boring cousin. I'm never convinced to spend much time with them, because they just don't have the same qualities. The 009S is technically superior and presents more detail. More on that soon.

Musical analogy: We've had a couple flagship digital pianos, and a grand down the hallway. Digital pianos can be used with headphones. Some digital pianos have a recording of 100 volume variations for each key. Some are modelling. Each key is realistically weighted and has an escapement mechanism. Digital pianos are immensely enjoyable to play and fit tidily into the decor. They simply don't posses the nuance of actual hammers on strings, and they don't resonate the way an actual wood and brass grand piano does. You wouldn't expect them to. You can play and enjoy yourself, but you can't work the escapement actuation the same way, and as a result, the sound is more limited in dynamics. You can often forget about this entirely.

Listening notes: The 009 opened my eyes to the idea that there was much more to be had than the 007 could give. The 009S initially amazed me, relative to the 009, in that it presented even slightly more detail. This detail exists in the 007, but it is diffuse and difficult to pick out. I was fascinated, and started looking for the HE-90.

Shangri-La SR:

Background: A fellow member hears my woes that it is hard to locate a pristine HE-90, suggests there is a Shangri-La SR for sale here, and 4 days later I have them at my doorstep.

Listening notes: I almost fell off my chair when I first heard them. The Shangri-La SR are not just more detailed than the 009S. They resonate realistically. They present the nuanced difference between key attack, strike, let off, and subsequent sound and harmonics - effortlessly, and for each note, distinctly. The frequency response is perhaps no better than the 009S. I don't know, I can't measure. But the gap in my analogy, between the sound of a digital piano and that of an actual grand piano, has been bridged in the headphone world, and that with violent and apparent suddenness.

Musical analogy: I can ignore the sound of a piano in the background for hours. Maurizio Pollini is without question one of the great pianists of our time. He grunts, croons and makes various jarring sounds, which would be intolerable were his playing not so universally loved. I know his recordings like the back of my hand. On the Shangri-La SR, the realism of his grunts, croons and general growls are all of a sudden not only emotive, but have absolutely scared me out of my wits on more than one occasion when I completely forgot I was listening on these headphones, and thought I had someone grunting on the other side of the office. You'd think I would expect them after having heard the album dozens of times. Thrilling.

Conclusion:

I had heard from several collectors that the mesh stator SR-Omega has superior detail retrieval to the 009S. They had some reservations about the drivers, including their synergy with all music types, and their reliability, particularly in the superior-sounding, sub-300 serial range. The HE-90 use crystal glass stators, Stax and most others seem to use engineered plastics, and the HE-1 use a type of ceramic. I imagine these all measure differently. The Shangri-La has mesh stators, and I can tell you only that they're a game-changer.

The SR-009 and SR-009S do not at all lack for detail. They only lack for realism. I wish I could enjoy them more. That is now more difficult to do.

The larger difference between these mesh stators and the two Stax flagships has to do with timbre, but more on that, later.

two.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #637 of 1,057
These are some brief comments from my comparative listening notes, along with some explanatory notes and background information.

Input tubes (GEC/Osram U709 rectifier, Tesla E83CC regulator):
1958 CBS 7308 -> 1961 Sylvania Gold Brand Triple Mica 5751

1958 CBS 7308 - A fine, instrumentation-grade, vintage 6SN7 in a 12AU7 format. This is certainly the largest, most dynamic small signal tube ever made, with seemingly limitless bass response. This tube was reportedly created to compete directly with the Telefunken frame grid flagship. Rated for 20,000 hours.
1961 Sylvania Gold Brand Triple Mica Grey Plates 5751 - The iconic and coveted high gain small signal tube, liquid, lush, and a bit over-the-top.

Early SN 703XX Stax SR-007 MK1:

Background: This is where things get a little personal. This headphone belonged to at least a couple of forum members, and I obtained it about 2 years ago. It was far and away their favorite electrostatic headphone short of the SR-Omega. One of them measured it alongside the MK2, R10, and some other notable headphones. The MK1 are notoriously hard to measure, so they used a few pairs of different pads and so on. They noted that the early MK1 is indeed quite different from the later MK1, and the MK2. The bass response is far better, and the somewhat strange treble transition endemic to the 007 series is scaled back significantly. These early MK1 stators were reportedly fitted into a supporting carrier frame and used to replace some of the later failed SR-Omega stators. To say that I like this headphone is an understatement.

Extra long musical analogy: At a luthier workshop, Bill Collings was once asked by a guitar forum member whether decorative wood inlays affect the guitar's tone. The reply was reportedly the incredulous exclamation, "Everything affects tone!". I believe this is true of all instruments, and likely also true of all musical reproduction in general. In an attempt to illustrate the tonal and timbre differences between the headphones here, there are three general categories of guitars I would like to refer to:

1) New production (think Martin D28, USA Fender Stratocaster) - very fine instruments. There is something curious about them. Whether solid or hollow body, you can walk into different guitar shops, pick up 9 of any of the above new production guitars and they will sound, well, average. However, the 10th one will have a character entirely its own. It has chime. It has subtlety, dynamics, life, that the other guitars simply don't possess. Once in a while, some rather average new tone woods in the body come together with the neck to produce something rather extraordinary.

2) New production, vintage construction (think Martin Heritage, Golden Age, Fender Custom Shop) - exquisite instruments. Many are made with cow hide glue, traditional bindings, and much greater attention to detail. Interestingly, their sonic character is often just as variable and potentially unexciting as a typical new production guitar. If you land on a good one, however, it is a thing of wonder.

3) Vintage guitars (think a 1930's Martin, well kept, gently but frequently played) - a thing of unspeakable tonal beauty. The carefully dried and developed tone woods, benefitted from years of resonance due to frequent playing, give these a life entirely their own. To have one in your possession from even the 40's, 50's, 60's, or perhaps even 70's, is a fine heirloom. The sound produced can be subtle, or dynamic, or gigantic, and is certainly exciting in an unforgettable way, provided the instrument was a fine example in the first place, and well-kept.

Listening notes: The early MK1 SR-007 is a #2 from my analogy - a new production, vintage construction example of an iconic instrument. On top of that, I would say that it's a very fine example, and has benefitted from perhaps 25 year of careful playing and storage. It is a thing of wonder, and lacks nothing. It certainly combines excitement, size, and resonant bass response unlike any electrostatic headphone I've tried prior to it. However, I will also say that it does not have the chime and immense subtlety of a #3 instrument from my analogy. It is as though the tone woods have simply not aged long enough. It possesses enough of the potential vintage heritage to keep you quite happy for the rest of your life, as well as progressively happier and wealthier, year after year.

By comparison, I would say that the SR-009S is an average new production instrument, an average example of a #1 from my analogy, while the SR-009 is an outstanding example of a #1, a 1 in 10 find. These are still fine instruments. But they are a little tense. A little restricted. A little nasally. A little sharp. A little intrusive. And they don't readily show off the pure captivation they are capable of.

Shangri-La SR:

Listening Notes: Right off the bat, I would like to say that this is not a straight #3, not a 1930's Martin, from my analogy. At least not with merely the Megatron driving it, that would be too generous a statement. The Megatron has far more than enough heft for the Stax cans, but the Shangri-La needs at least a T2 or one of the 300b amps to shine. It's very difficult to compare the output of these amps unless they're side-by-side, due to the capacitive load nature of electrostatic cans. I suspect the T2 would perform the best. Perhaps a DHT 845 based amp would do the trick, with the sonic compromise of a real-world-priced, non-solid-silver output transformer (it would be no Ongaku, that's for sure).

However, I would say that as it stands, the Shangri-La SR is firmly in #3 territory, that of a fine vintage Martin guitar, of perhaps 60's or 70's vintage. The sound is subtle, with the finest details coming forward in an appealing way. Just a gentle strum of the fingers, the very faintest input, and the warm, nuanced, richly textured sounds of the tone woods come to life. Of course, the Shangri-La possess no tone wood, except the somewhat modest-looking mahogany veneer. But it does posses the capacity for delicateness, intimacy, and also for the same kind of, giant, expansive, room-filling sound that leaves the player of a fine vintage guitar indeed incredulous. Like a fine vintage instrument, there are simply more harmonic sounds and overtones coming out of that resonant box than your brain is telling you rightly could be. It is immediately appealing, holds your attention for hours, and never becomes tiring or overbearing. It is firmly the finer successor of the early MK1 SR-007.

Conclusion:

The Shangri-La SR does everything better than the early MK1 SR-007. Unbelievably, the bass is more textured, defined, larger, and goes far deeper. The entire sound is more refined. Both are exceptionally lifelike, but the Shangri-La SR adds both maturity to the tone, and a hefty dose of realism. Fine nuance is immediately more apparent. The soundstage is larger, even convincingly borderless. These are both fine instruments, and among the finest electrostatic headphones to own. I do have a few choice words to share about comfort, as well as the build quality of the Shangri-La SR, however, but more on that, later.

three.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #638 of 1,057
I was chasing the HE-90 sound, but ended up with a Shangri-La SR, instead. Thanks @robotnize for sending me your new, second, pre-ordered pair. You must have decided they're OK, since you wound up owning two pairs! I've noticed that locating an HE-90 in pristine condition, without the amplifier, is an often futile effort.

These are some brief comments from my comparative listening notes, which I use for tube rolling, on a tube rectified and regulated Stax Megatron amplifier; the T2 is coming in June (sorry):

Input tubes (GEC/Osram U709 rectifier, Tesla E83CC regulator ):
1952 Raytheon 5814 -> 1957 Sylvania JHS 5751 Triple Mica Black Plates

1952 Raytheon 5814 - Pristine early 50's sound - huge, bold, dynamic, dark, syrupy
1957 Sylvania JHS 5751 Triple Mica Black Plates - Top body, focus and sparkle across the frequency response in the 12AX7 family

HE-60:

This is the headphone to listen to at full blast. FR is balanced, timbre is fairly accurate, possessing the classic Sennheiser house sound. These convey the most dynamic and condensed, concentrated electrostatic sound. Possibly the most outright, over-the-top fun electrostatic headphone - like the first time you listened to the HD650. Staging is small, but you don't mind one bit. Treble is maybe a little ragged, but not in a painful way. Presentation is definitely a little bit amateurish compared to some of its big brothers. Mids and bass are generous. This is, for a first time electrostatic headphone owner, the best headphone to own, for the most music. Easy to drive. A true all-rounder.

Shangri-La SR:

The Shangri-La is simply immensely larger, more detailed, goes deeper, far higher, and, of course, is for more emotive and euphonic, which is logical given its physical size. FR is incomparably more accurate. It is also at least twice as hard to drive, being about 30% harder to drive than the early serial number SR-007 MK1, for example.

Conclusion:

The HE-60 is a super HD650, incredibly fun and easy to listen to. It's the best first electrostatic headphone to own. In the absence of peers, it's a 9.5/10. Given its peers, it's a solid 8/10. Indeed, my pair are heading on their way today to a very fine, young, AKG employee. They will be his first electrostatic headphones.

The Shangri-La SR is a super.... something else. The staging and out-of-head experience is far greater than even that of the HD800/S, of which I've owned two pairs. The HE-60 is very much in-your-head, while the Shangri-La SR is completely out-of-your-head. It's goes beyond the typical expectations of transparency, disappearing entirely from the listening experience. The technical and timbre aspects of its performance are rather peerless, but more on that, later. It might be the best last electrostatic headphone to own.

he60.jpg

The HE-60 was my very first electrostatic headphone and it just absolutely blew me out of the water. I agree with your exact description to a tee, except that I've always found them to be more of an HD600 on steroids in terms of timbre/tonality--either way, not much difference there. It's not a headphone that many end up owning or providing impressions for, so it's really refreshing to see very accurate notes on them. I've even owned 3 pairs at once, having two backups just in case lol. But once I got the 009, I quickly realized that although I wanted to keep my main pair, there was no need two have backups. Agree with the perspective of an extremely high rating in it's own right, but more like an 8/10 with some of the other TOTL stats.

Also enjoyed the Shangri-La SR impressions as well, and also agree with most of the 009 remarks. If you had to quantify the gap between the 009/s and Shangri-La SR, how would you? 10-15% better overall? Or are we talking far larger than that? Will be interested to hear your thoughts again after far more time with them as well, nice write up!

Feb 5, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #639 of 1,057
EDIT: I intended to post a comparison here to the Perun DIY Live and Rock, but it looks like my pair won't make it in the postal system within 90 days of shipment. They are, however, reputedly outstandingly comfortable.

With regard to the Shangri-La SR build quality: the left ear cup squeaked terribly on its pivot when putting the headphones on. They were quiet once on the head. Curiously, after perhaps four months, they have quieted down completely. Reportedly, this pair (purchased from another Head-fi member) was a warranty replacement; the original pair had a slight driver rattle, and was promptly replaced.

With regard to comfort: If the SR-009S and the SR-007 are an 8/10 (the SR-007 is my personal preference for comfort), the Shangri-La SR are a 9.5/10. They are even outstandingly comfortable over glasses, which I have not found to be particularly the case with any other headphone. The gigantic ear cups combined with an outstandingly lightweight assembly and cable make for a headphone that actually, truly, disappears on your head. The clamping force is also very light due to the large weight distribution of the pads. Overall, they are more comfortable than the HD800S and HD650, HE60, etc.

Frankly, there is nothing about their choice of materials or appearance that screams or even mildly suggests luxury (I'm not a fan of the thin mahogany veneer), but they are completely functional, comfortable, and above all, lightweight. The pads are made of synthetic suede against the skin, with synthetic leather around the sides. After perhaps 300 hours of use, they show absolutely no signs of wear. The stitching is not completely even. The perforated headband is adjustable, synthetic, basic, and similarly comfortable. The cable appears to extremely thin-gauge silver, loosely held together in a plastic flat mesh. It looks extremely unimpressive, but I will say this: it doesn't tangle at all, is the correct length, and is so lightweight so as to be indiscernible in regular use. You have to look down to remind yourself it's there.

In summary: this is a well thought-out headphone. My serial number would seem to indicate it's a sub-100 production model. It's possible the little squeaks and rattles have since been worked out.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #640 of 1,057
Thank you for your generous comments and good question.

I haven’t quite figured out how to answer that. The Shangri-La SR combines the technical aptitude of the 009, the timbre of the 007, the bass response of the 007, and improves on all fronts, without carrying over any of the shortcomings or introducing new ones. It also produces a gigantic soundstage that eclipses the HD800, and makes the other headphones feel a little closed in and lacking transparency. It is the easiest headphone to forget you’re listening to, such as on a simple acoustic piece, if that makes sense. It does demand about 20% more amp than the 007, and at least 40% more amp than the 009.

They are both immensely enjoyable, the 009 and the SR, like fine instruments. It’s kind of like trying to describe how much better a 9ft Fazioli is compared to a 5.5ft Steinway medium grand. One is much larger, has greater dynamic range and nuance, and is, well, larger and grander in presentation. It’s also a bit of a technical showpiece. If you have the Steinway, do you need the Fazioli? Certainly not, but you might want it, for a variety of reasons. Perhaps you don’t even like Fazioli. A number of pianists don’t, and they have their reasons, some technical, some historical. But if you’re objective, it’s a very fine piano.

I’ve actually never once looked seriously at a Hifiman headphone before. I’ve only owned Focal, Sennheiser, and Stax. I took a gamble on an 18K headphone sight unseen simply because it was brought to my attention that another member had an unused second pair up for sale. A couple of purely anecdotal stories regarding coatings engineering from early in my working life also shaped my thinking about a post I read earlier in this thread. I quite frankly didn’t even know the Shangri-La SR existed, nor was I really looking for another headphone brand to try.

I hope that helps!

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #641 of 1,057
Thank you for your generous comments and good question.

I haven’t quite figured out how to answer that. The Shangri-La SR combines the technical aptitude of the 009, the timbre of the 007, the bass response of the 007, and improves on all fronts. It also introduces a gigantic soundstage that eclipses the HD800, and makes the other headphones feel a little closed in and lacking transparency.

They are both immensely enjoyable, the 009 and the SR, like fine instruments. It’s kind of like trying to describe how much better a 9ft Fazioli is compared to a 5.5ft Steinway medium grand. One is much larger, has greater dynamic range and nuance, and is, well, larger and grander in presentation. It’s also a bit of a technical showpiece. If you have the Steinway, do you need the Fazioli? Certainly not, but you might want it, for a variety of reasons. Perhaps you don’t even like Fazioli. But if you’re objective, it’s a very fine piano.

I hope that helps!

It does, actually. And I know it's a tough question. I really love the 009 and really enjoy the strengths of the 007 MK1 (it just doesn't get as much use as the 009 or HE60), so it's really interesting to hear that. I appreciate the answer!

Mar 12, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #642 of 1,057
I'm still itching for these lol. I get that you'll pay a premium when at this level, I just wish there were more impressions out there. Anyone that has already shared care to give us an update? lol

Jul 14, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #643 of 1,057
Hello I listened in comparison to a Stax 09 S and a Shangri Senior on a Viva STX + Dac / Streamer MA3 Meitner set The stax in comparison looked like a low-end large-area helmet ... I'm hardly exaggerating. Listening to music with the Shangri Senior on this system is an experience from which you have difficulty recovering and which has prevented me from sleeping for several nights ...

Jul 14, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #644 of 1,057
@MAISONOBE AALAIN

🤣

Yea, Hifiman did create a ultimate headphone and people are sleeping on it.

If you made fun of the 009, I'll shoot back and say that the SR cable is one of the worst and the plywood strap on the SR is gimmicky and sad.

Also using a 400i headband is a bloody disgrace.

20191018_182521.jpg

Jul 14, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #645 of 1,057
Hifiman ultimate headphone is the Shangri-La SR. It is truly the pinnacle of Hifiman achievement so far. The latest headphone the R10P is okay, but still shied from the great Susvara, but their electrostatic headphones is where Hifiman shines in my opinion. They should really put more R&D into these products. They have 4 headphones that have been slept on. Its such a shame as it is their crowning jewels.

Brief History of Hifiman electrostatic: (perfect time and place to put this)

The mighty and fragile JADE was just the beginning of Hifiman. I know they are ashamed of it as they never mention it anywhere. But it was one of the best sounds I heard. The frequency was some what off but overall amazing. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/he-...y-pre-hifiman-electrostatic-headphone.844733/
11.jpeg

The second JADE, the JADE II was another take of being a great stat. Sadly, people quickly dismiss it. Its quite good to be honest.

22.jpeg

One of my all time favorite headphone is the JR. The imaging is absolutely perfect. Listening to Dunkirk - The Mole, the JR perfecting and accurately nailed the plane sipping slowly from left to right and right to left without losing the direction. Most to all headphones cant image this good.

33.jpeg

And finally Hifiman 4th electrostatic headphone so far is the mighty SR. The biggest sound I ever heard. The sound is just too big. Never heard the HE1 yet! But I will sooner than later :p and from the description the HE1 is an intimate headphone. While the SR has done the opposite of going larger, bigger, bolder with that concert feeling.

44.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back