HIFIMAN Shangri-La: The New Electrostatic Headphones From HIFIMAN
Jun 5, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #601 of 1,057
Mm...just a note: the motorized mechanism of the HE 1 is not gimmicky. It is a practical and effective way of protecting the tubes, the headphone and the knobs when not in use. It has a self-calibration routine (plus manual mode via the remote control) to ensure years of trouble-free use. Also, 5 years of warranty from Sennheiser. I am not sure about the HFM SGL.

Jun 5, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #602 of 1,057
The Ether's were in the same room as the other two systems, but I wasn't able to do any meaningful comparisons as there was some kind of "tolerance" issue with the ether's. There was a static that kept coming in and out of the left side, so I kept getting distracted by it and wasn't really able to focus on the nuances. It sounded good though in general when static wasn't playing. I was particularly impressed by the sound stage and tone was pleasant.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #605 of 1,057
Mm...just a note: the motorized mechanism of the HE 1 is not gimmicky. It is a practical and effective way of protecting the tubes, the headphone and the knobs when not in use. It has a self-calibration routine (plus manual mode via the remote control) to ensure years of trouble-free use.

Um, OK. You do realize that there is another practical and effective way of protecting the tubes, headphones and knobs when not in use - it's called a cover. And it's probably less expensive than a motorized mechanism. And less gimmicky. Also, a self calibration routine is electronic and doesn't need a motorized mechanism. Finally, I would note that my Stax SRM-T1 is around 25-30 years old, I bought it used and it works fine with no self-calibration method. I did replace the electrolytic caps (routine maintenance) and adjusted the offset. Proper design is what ensures years of trouble-free use.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #606 of 1,057
Mm..a cover like the plastic cover of the Stax hp?? Not on a 50k euro set. Sorry but this is the Rolls Royce of the headphone world. I expect nothing but the best possible protection, performance, build and warranty from a world-class company. And who says that the HE 1 will not outlast anything on the market today?

I expect to be pampered. I expect Sennheiser to deliver. So, plastic cover? Ewww........really? Ewww......lol!

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #607 of 1,057
Mm...just a note: the motorized mechanism of the HE 1 is not gimmicky. It is a practical and effective way of protecting the tubes, the headphone and the knobs when not in use. It has a self-calibration routine (plus manual mode via the remote control) to ensure years of trouble-free use. Also, 5 years of warranty from Sennheiser. I am not sure about the HFM SGL.

Let's not kid ourselves, the motorized retracting mechanism is completely unnecessary. But it is very cool to see in action. Anyone spending $55K on headphone gear is not going to put it in an area there it's in constant danger of having knobs or tubes broken off. I have yet to break a knob on even a portable amplifier.

Jun 6, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #608 of 1,057
Having tried both the HE-1 and the Shangri-La this weekend, right next to each other, the Shangri-La definitely wins for headphone comfort. The HE-1 is noticeably heavier, and the heat from the built in amps really concern me for warmer weather use. Fortunately the hotel ballroom was well air conditioned, so it was mostly just annoying and not uncomfortable. But again, it's up to how tolerant one is to warm ears. The HE-1 is definitely going to induce more hotter ears, from the smaller ear cups space and added warmth from the amps in the ear cups.

Sound quality wise, I prefer the Shangri-La, as I'm not a fan of the HE-1's typcial "polite" frequency respose presentation. I don't like laid back sound as much. While the materials and manufacturing of the HE-1 is better, it has to be, for it's ludicrous price tag. The funniest thing is that the HE-1's attention to detail is lost in the back I/O space, as it's very apparent that it's a slab of marble slapped onto a metal box, with some pretty terrible gaps. The Shangri-La is much tidier in the rear as it has a single piece of machined aluminum for the entire back piece, heatsink machined in place included. While I'm not a fan of the top volume knob placement of the Shangri-La, and it's somewhat wobbly lightweight feel, it just looks less tacky than the HE-1 overall. I guess I'm just not a fan of the Industrial Design of the HE-1, the marble is still too gawdy for me.

Jun 6, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #610 of 1,057
Mm..gaps? Gasp! Lol! I ll be able to check in a couple of days. I ll bring my tools and check for gaps. Lol! <rolleyes> If I find gaps, I ll send an email to the top honcho of Sennheiser, along with a box of rotten sauerkraut...... Lol!

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #611 of 1,057
Mm..a cover like the plastic cover of the Stax hp?? Not on a 50k euro set. Sorry but this is the Rolls Royce of the headphone world. I expect nothing but the best possible protection, performance, build and warranty from a world-class company. And who says that the HE 1 will not outlast anything on the market today?

I expect to be pampered. I expect Sennheiser to deliver. So, plastic cover? Ewww........really? Ewww......lol!

Mm..gaps? Gasp! Lol! I ll be able to check in a couple of days. I ll bring my tools and check for gaps. Lol! <rolleyes> If I find gaps, I ll send an email to the top honcho of Sennheiser, along with a box of rotten sauerkraut...... Lol!

Irony

Jun 6, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #612 of 1,057

Who said anything about plastic? You want a marble cover - fine. My point was/is, that contrary to what you said, the motorized volume knob, box and moving vacuum tubes IS A GIMMICK! You, on the other hand, have drunk long and hard the Kool-Aid.

Jun 6, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #614 of 1,057
Totally with JimL here. The motorized recessed knobs and tubes serve no realistic function, and just reek of a superficial gimmick. What does it buy you when the tubes are recessed? You gonna display your anime figurine collection on the flat surface? Even when not recessed, the tubes are perfectly well protected in those cylinders. And how do you even break a knob? What space is that buying back?

The look and finish of the amp in general just doesn't match the classiness of the headphones, or even that of the prior Orpheus. And the built-in DAC is guaranteed to be woefully outdated in a few years. That makes it all the worse that the headphones must be tethered to that specific amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back