Hifiman Serenade - Himalaya Pro R2R DAC headamp all-in-one
Jul 4, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #16 of 252
Looks pretty interesting, as I've been curious about a streaming-capable DAC/amp combo for a bit. I noticed that the store page showed the Roon UI as part of its streaming app advert, but the specs don't mention Roon Ready. Also no indication of Spotify/Tidal Connect or Airplay, just DLNA and Bluetooth. And I wonder if it has a remote; it would make a great living room streamer unit if it did, but it seems like it's meant for desktop usage.

Other things I'm curious about are how they measured the output power; I recall there being some confusion with the EF400 where the Hifiman specs were for <10% THD while most manufacturers quote numbers for <1% THD. The output impedance is another thing I'm interested in, as the oddly high OI of the Matrix Audio Element i2 - a functionally similar product - is one of the things that made me wary of it.

From the internal view the volume pot is all analogue - which sucks.

Products that work as a streamer, amp, preamp, DAC etc... should all include remote function with a motorised pot IMO, as it would be excellent as a central unit in a hi-fi system, especially as it has proper analogue inputs.

The Matrix Element X comes close but it stupidly converts analogue to digital, then back to analogue.

Jul 11, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #18 of 252
I'm wondering if anyone's has even shipped yet. Everyone's waiting on impressions haha

Jul 15, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #20 of 252
Looks like HifiMan has these available in the US. Has anyone received theirs yet?

Jul 27, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #22 of 252
Hifiman shipped mine out, says its coming on Thursday. Will listen to it and give some general impressions.
Someone who heard both Serenade and EF600 thought that the EF600 seemed a bit more shouty by comparison and that the Serenade seemed more nuanced and subtle. Well, let’s see. I suspect I will pick up the Serenade. Certainly easier to stack than the EF600. Heheh

Jul 27, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #23 of 252
Someone who heard both Serenade and EF600 thought that the EF600 seemed a bit more shouty by comparison and that the Serenade seemed more nuanced and subtle. Well, let’s see. I suspect I will pick up the Serenade. Certainly easier to stack than the EF600. Heheh
From all the Chinese reviews I read they came to a similar conclusion. That was the reason I got the serenade and returned the EF600. EF600 sometimes made the bass too boomy and overwhelming. It sounded too big, though I imagine hifiman planars can take advantage of that big sound.

Jul 27, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #24 of 252
From all the Chinese reviews I read they came to a similar conclusion. That was the reason I got the serenade and returned the EF600. EF600 sometimes made the bass too boomy and overwhelming. It sounded too big, though I imagine hifiman planars can take advantage of that big sound.
Ah… Yes. That sounds pretty much like what I was hearing. How do you like the Serenade thus far. I will likely pick one up myself. As an alternative to my Bricasti M1.

Well… frankly, I think the hifiman planars don’t need shouty amps. The Susvara and HE-6 just needed current to drive them. In fact, they benefit from nuanced and refined amps and DACs. :)

Jul 27, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #25 of 252
Serenade first impressions:

Currently using JM XTC-Open w/ Beryllium drivers. I will link the review thread here to give you some context on how they sound: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/jmaudio-xtc-open-back-audiophile-headphones.26248/

Note on EF600: I have used the Hifiman EF600 for close to a month before I decided to return it due to it making the bass in certain tracks sound too big, essentially overwhelming everything else. All of the comparisons I will make are from memory, which I know is unreliable, but the Serenade does sound noticeably (beyond certainty) different than the EF600, at least when listening to the XTC Opens, and the difference is stark enough that everything I say below is with full confidence. Your experience may vary with other headphones.

- Lows are not boomy at all compared to the EF600. Bass is a LOT cleaner; it trades quite a lot of that rumbliness from the EF600 for much, much more elegance in the lows. Bass extension is at least on par with the EF600, though I cannot say if the Sereande has a lower extension. There is subbass rumble, just not as much as the EF600, though I think it is quite enough, basically perfect (bold statement, I know). The reduced rumble may give the impression that the Serenade does not sound as grandiose as the EF600, which is somewhat true, but I strongly believe that the added elegance and texture in the bass region makes the Serenade a much more pleasing and well-rounded listening experience than the EF600 (Serenade still sounds big, maybe slightly smaller, but does not force it and instead sounds and feels more natural in its portrayal of size). A great example would be the beginning of Mohg OST from Elden Ring. The rumble from the Serenade is much more balanced and realistic than what the EF600 put out, and that balance and elegance carries on for the rest of the track, never overshadowing the vocals and instruments. The atmosphere the lows create in that track feels elegant and refined, instead of unnatural and heavy-handed in its size. Worth the upgrade for me.

- Mids from the Serenade are more forward than the mids from the EF600. The EF600 mids I felt were very smooth (if just a tiny tiny bit recessed), and I thought they sounded lovely, like smooth honey. The mids on the Serenade are presented more forwardly than the EF600 mids, though it still retains most, if not all of the smoothness. No vocal harshness, though the XTC Open is very easy to listen to in itself. Not that much difference I would say in the quality of the mids, just their presentation (more forward, brighter on the Serenade, more laid back and most likely smoother on the EF600). Both are very controlled in this regard.

- Treble on the Serenade is more present and fleshed out (note: not bright sounding at all!) than the treble on the EF600. Again, using Mohg's OST as an example, high-pitched female vocals are more present and engaging. However, they still blend in with the track extremely well, and I do not feel that they are taking unnecessary spotlight away from other instruments, male vocals, etc. Balanced, yet engaging is how I would describe the treble on the Serenade. Switching to hip-hop, hi-hats are slightly more present than the hi-hats on the EF600, not sibilant, not bright, but more fleshed out. Treble extension is again, just as good, if not better than the EF600. Cymbals clashes sparkle yet are never harsh and have lots and lots of air. Very similar to EF600, but more fleshed out and present, could be slightly brighter sounding, depending how you look at it (still has stereotypical R-2R sounding treble, just more refined).

- Soundstaging, Imaging, and Separation: Serenade sounds more coherent than the EF600. Mostly because of the balanced bass, the Serenade's sound fits the XTC-Open's soundstage better than the unnecessarily large sounding EF600. Actual soundstage size (when required by the track) is about the same as the EF600, but stuff is more farther sounding (the more I listen to the Serenade the more I am sure of this) than the EF600. It's just the Serenade is a lot more coherent and has a more natural presentation of the soundstage and the instruments within the soundstage. The EF600's imaging was more discrete, meaning you could place each instrument within its own space/layer within the soundstage, and the Serenade's more elegant, like a blend of sounds within the stage (spherical?). Sounds WAY better that way imo (I heard on a YouTube review done by WaveTheory that the presentation of the soundstage of the HE1000SE was more coherent and natural sounding compared to what is a more discrete presentation of the HE1000V2, you guys can enlighten me on that, never tried them, but planning to.) Hopefully my analogy made sense. Separation is flawless on both, and the discrete imaging of the EF600 does not mean that it is easier to identify instruments than with the Serenade's more coherent imaging.

- I have not tried streaming yet, but from the reviews I read it supports Spotify/Tidal Connect and Airplay.

- Summary: Noticeable upgrade from EF600, not taking into account the extra streaming features. More refined, elegant, and coherent than the EF600 at the cost of some subbass rumble and boominess, though sounds just as grandiose, just more subtle about it. Way better low end imo, similar mids, better highs. Though if you are looking for a powerful sound, EF600 is the way to go.

P.S.
A review I read (https://post.m.smzdm.com/p/a7nm96zo/) on a Chinese forum claimed that the Serenade was better suited for dynamic headphones, paraphrasing: Drives Hd800s and TH900 very well, but may not be suitable for planars due to lack of overtones from the fast transient response (comes from the Serenade's liveliness characteristic). Take that for what you think it's worth.

edits added: Feel free to ask questions!
2nd edit: Using XLR output, device connected to computer via USB.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #26 of 252
Serenade first impressions:

Currently using JM XTC-Open w/ Beryllium drivers. I will link the review thread here to give you some context on how they sound: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/jmaudio-xtc-open-back-audiophile-headphones.26248/

Note on EF600: I have used the Hifiman EF600 for close to a month before I decided to return it due to it making the bass in certain tracks sound too big, essentially overwhelming everything else. All of the comparisons I will make are from memory, which I know is unreliable, but the Serenade does sound noticeably (beyond certainty) different than the EF600, at least when listening to the XTC Opens, and the difference is stark enough that everything I say below is with full confidence. Your experience may vary with other headphones.

- Lows are not boomy at all compared to the EF600. Bass is a LOT cleaner; it trades quite a lot of that rumbliness from the EF600 for much, much more elegance in the lows. Bass extension is at least on par with the EF600, though I cannot say if the Sereande has a lower extension. There is subbass rumble, just not as much as the EF600, though I think it is quite enough, basically perfect (bold statement, I know). The reduced rumble may give the impression that the Serenade does not sound as grandiose as the EF600, which is somewhat true, but I strongly believe that the added elegance and texture in the bass region makes the Serenade a much more pleasing and well-rounded listening experience than the EF600 (Serenade still sounds big, maybe slightly smaller, but does not force it and instead sounds and feels more natural in its portrayal of size). A great example would be the beginning of Mohg OST from Elden Ring. The rumble from the Serenade is much more balanced and realistic than what the EF600 put out, and that balance and elegance carries on for the rest of the track, never overshadowing the vocals and instruments. The atmosphere the lows create in that track feels elegant and refined, instead of unnatural and heavy-handed in its size. Worth the upgrade for me.

- Mids from the Serenade are more forward than the mids from the EF600. The EF600 mids I felt were very smooth (if just a tiny tiny bit recessed), and I thought they sounded lovely, like smooth honey. The mids on the Serenade are presented more forwardly than the EF600 mids, though it still retains most, if not all of the smoothness. No vocal harshness, though the XTC Open is very easy to listen to in itself. Not that much difference I would say in the quality of the mids, just their presentation (more forward, brighter on the Serenade, more laid back and most likely smoother on the EF600). Both are very controlled in this regard.

- Treble on the Serenade is more present and fleshed out (note: not bright sounding at all!) than the treble on the EF600. Again, using Mohg's OST as an example, high-pitched female vocals are more present and engaging. However, they still blend in with the track extremely well, and I do not feel that they are taking unnecessary spotlight away from other instruments, male vocals, etc. Balanced, yet engaging is how I would describe the treble on the Serenade. Switching to hip-hop, hi-hats are slightly more present than the hi-hats on the EF600, not sibilant, not bright, but more fleshed out. Treble extension is again, just as good, if not better than the EF600. Cymbals clashes sparkle yet are never harsh and have lots and lots of air. Very similar to EF600, but more fleshed out and present, could be slightly brighter sounding, depending how you look at it (still has stereotypical R-2R sounding treble, just more refined).

- Soundstaging, Imaging, and Separation: Serenade sounds more coherent than the EF600. Mostly because of the balanced bass, the Serenade's sound fits the XTC-Open's soundstage better than the unnecessarily large sounding EF600. Actual soundstage size (when required by the track) is about the same as the EF600, but stuff is more farther sounding (the more I listen to the Serenade the more I am sure of this) than the EF600. It's just the Serenade is a lot more coherent and has a more natural presentation of the soundstage and the instruments within the soundstage. The EF600's imaging was more discrete, meaning you could place each instrument within its own space/layer within the soundstage, and the Serenade's more elegant, like a blend of sounds within the stage (spherical?). Sounds WAY better that way imo (I heard on a YouTube review done by WaveTheory that the presentation of the soundstage of the HE1000SE was more coherent and natural sounding compared to what is a more discrete presentation of the HE1000V2, you guys can enlighten me on that, never tried them, but planning to.) Hopefully my analogy made sense. Separation is flawless on both, and the discrete imaging of the EF600 does not mean that it is easier to identify instruments than with the Serenade's more coherent imaging.

- I have not tried streaming yet, but from the reviews I read it supports Spotify/Tidal Connect and Airplay.

- Summary: Noticeable upgrade from EF600, not taking into account the extra streaming features. More refined, elegant, and coherent than the EF600 at the cost of some subbass rumble and boominess, though sounds just as grandiose, just more subtle about it. Way better low end imo, similar mids, better highs. Though if you are looking for a powerful sound, EF600 is the way to go.

P.S.
A review I read (cannot for the life of me find the link anymore for some reason) on a Chinese forum claimed that the Serenade was better suited for dynamic headphones, paraphrasing: Drives Hd800s and TH900 very well, but may not be suitable for planars due to lack of overtones from the fast transient response (comes from the Serenade's liveliness characteristic). Take that for what you think it's worth.

edits added: Feel free to ask questions!
2nd edit: Using XLR output, device connected to computer via USB.
Have you heard the ef400 how does that compare with the ef600 & the serenade ?

Jul 28, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #28 of 252
@Zhon Not sure if you have this information about the R2R DAC for the Serenade: does it also use 2 modules of Himalaya Pro, like the EF600?

Jul 28, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #29 of 252
Anyone tried the prelude compared to serenade? Amp wise?

Considering the Denafrips pontus 2, anyone compared the Serenade dac to it?

:)

Jul 28, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #30 of 252
@Zhon Not sure if you have this information about the R2R DAC for the Serenade: does it also use 2 modules of Himalaya Pro, like the EF600?
Picture on the hifiman store page shows 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back