HIFIMAN RE300a/ RE300i InLine and RE300h (hifi) Earphone launched! *Impressions added*
Nov 18, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #46 of 213
Okay, this is my first post on head-fi, but I guarantee you that I am quite the audiophile especially when it comes to finding the best sound for money. I'm all about sound quality for the best dollar. Great sound tests the "law of diminishing returns" Gods of capitalism, so I respect Hifiman for setting new standards of their affordable cans and IEMs with great sound.

No doubt I can hear the difference between westone W40 vs hifiman RE-400, but for a fraction of the cost the RE-400 is by far the best headphone I've ever heard. I don't know how to quantify dollars for sound, but if there was a metric the RE-400 would win. The RE-400 has the clearest mids I've heard from an IEM, and the clarity and smoothness of their highs are just awesome. My problem with the RE-400 was that mid-bass and low bass was a bit to be desired. No, I'm not a bass head, but hearing guitars, drums, and some electronic versions of bass is just flat out fun. The RE-400 has very tight bass, but I need my fiio E12 additional bass setting to push more power to the lower frequencies, and even then it was just okay. The RE-400 is best with acoustic guitars, strings, pianos and vocals, but is not a rock, hip-hop, electronic type IEM. 

Insert the Hifiman RE300 ... I bought both the 300i and the 300h, and yes there is a significant difference between the two. I don't care for mic's and controls on the cables because that's what a damn phone is for. I hate that "professional" reviews point this "deficiency" out, and grade poorly. To me, there is no added convenience to have an inline mic and volume control features, but I guess it is a market demand for the non-audiophile types. 

I had a three fold setup to test different configurations:
Setup 1 - iphone 5c (all with 16/44.1 files)
Setup 2 - iPod 6th gen with the fiio E12 connected with an L9 line out cable (all with 16/44.1 files)
Setup 3 - Audioquest's Dragonfly 1.2 out of my MacBook Air using Audirvana Plus (all with 24/96+ or 16/44.1 files)

Music types: Zac Brown Band, Foo Fighters (album and live), Michael Jackson (Thriller Album), Violin Concerto No. 1, Alicia Keys, Bruno Mars, Linkin Park, John Mayer, Hans Zimmer,  Daft Punk, The Band Perry, Aloe Blacc, and Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (obviously I love all kinds of music)

I did comparisons with the RE300i, RE300h, and RE-400 IEMs. 

The obvious thing I could immediately hear is the loudness of the RE300H versus the RE300i. There is an obvious answer why, and that is the RE300H is a 16ohm IEM where the RE300i is a 32ohm IEM. Higher impedance = less current on voltage drive amps (which is pretty much all of them). The i and H IEMs probably have the same drivers, it's just with the mic integrated or different cable type they were forced to a different wiring configuration to the drivers (speculation of course). Who knows why, but I can tell the difference right away.

I agree with the previous posts ... first thing I noticed was the bass with either the i or H. With country and rock songs, I could feel the punch of the bass drums. With the string instruments I could hear the cello after the bow had pushed against the strings. With the hip-hop and electronic music the bass hits were just something I've never heard from a Hifiman IEM. I did a quick comparison to a set of JVC IEMs (which are just all bass and nothing more), and the bass was so much cleaner. Hifiman IEM Bass, where have you been!

The mids were neither sacrificed with the i nor H from the RE-400. I do, however, think there is a little bleed-over of the RE300i in the mid bass 200 - 400 Hz frequency ... Nothing a little equalizing can't take of. I heard none of this bleed with the RE300H, however the lower vocals on both the i and H were a little too much. Needed to tone down a bit. Something the RE-400 had a clear improvement. The RE300i started to tail off at the higher end of the vocal spectrum and not do well in the highs.

Finally, the highs of the RE-400 are still superior than either of the RE300i or the RE300H. I do, however, think the RE300H is still very good. Symbol clashes, hand claps, and percussions sound clear, and really weren't too far behind the RE-400. I hate bright highs, and that is not hifiman at all. I do think that the RE300H has harsh highs somewhat (like too much harsh, as opposed to piercing bright). The RE300i, however, did not sound good at the top end. To me, sounded muddled, and really required some equalizing to help, but the deficiencies were too much to really get the i's to an adequate state (at least for me). 

As for the sounds in the different configurations, the RE300H paired with any of the configs sounded great. A good DAC like the Dragonfly 1.2 pushed the highs and vocals well. The Foo Fighters Skin and Bones Live album is just unreal with these IEMs. They aren't bass head IEMs, but the presence may be too much for those who despise bass overpowering other spectrum. For me, it's absolutely perfect balance for Rock Music and Country. The RE300H sounds great with the pairing of the iPhone, especially with my fiio E12 amp. I don't think the additional bass switch is necessary, but if you want to have fun with Rock and Hip-Hop, it's punchy and tight.

I do not like the sound from the RE300i's I've decided. Too little on the high mids and the highs are not good enough, and the bleed of the mid-lows. Probably adequate at the $50 price tag for sure, but average is the best word that describes it. The pairing with the iPhone was what sealed the deal for me for the RE300i review. When on the dragonfly 1.2 DAC, the high's started to appear, but certainly not with the awful iPhone DAC and amp. This is funny to me because the point of having the RE300i is to pair with the iPhone with the additional features, but the sound really is not there. However, at the $50 price tag, good deal compared to some of the more popular consumer brands.

The RE300H is phenomenal for its price tag at $50. Sacrificed highs for an enormous improvement in the lows when compared to the RE-400. Instruments sound good on these, it almost feels like I'm stealing from Hifiman at this price tag.

So that gets me into some speculation ... why did Hifiman decide to put different models out? Were they not getting enough sales from the RE-400 because people who want more features in the product require a mic and controls? And I realize good cabling can make a world of difference, but why such a difference between the two models with the impedances and frequency specs (RE300i is 20 - 20k and RE300H is 15 - 22k)? I believe this is a blatant attempt to show the world that Hifiman can build quality for "convenience" and make good sales with the RE300i, but if you just keep things simple, pay attention to details such as good cabling, it can make the world of difference. I also think at the price point, Hifiman is basically waving on the competition as to say "come guys, keep up". 

Some other things to note ... the drivers on these IEMs are much smaller than I thought they were going to be. The plastic casing looks larger in the photos (caution: objects in picture look larger than they appear), but they are clearly smaller than my RE-400. The fit is perfect for me, and the isolation is very good. Aesthetically these are bad ass, if that matters to you.

Overall, the RE300H is one of the best IEMs for the dollar at this price point, and the RE300i is good but not great. Sure, $600 pair of headphones will sound better, but that is obvious at the price points. IEMs at the RE300 price point that manufacturers JVC, skull candy, beats, and Monster exist, but only expose certain frequency spectrum to trick regular consumers in thinking they sound good. The RE300H is an IEM that is balanced, and sounds great with many different types of music. Great buy, great job Hifiman once again, and thank you for the additional bass for the non-audiophile music types.

Nov 18, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #47 of 213

Okay, this is my first post on head-fi, but I guarantee you that I am quite the audiophile especially when it comes to finding the best sound for money. I'm all about sound quality for the best dollar. Great sound tests the "law of diminishing returns" Gods of capitalism, so I respect Hifiman for setting new standards of their affordable cans and IEMs with great sound.

No doubt I can hear the difference between westone W40 vs hifiman RE-400, but for a fraction of the cost the RE-400 is by far the best headphone I've ever heard. I don't know how to quantify dollars for sound, but if there was a metric the RE-400 would win. The RE-400 has the clearest mids I've heard from an IEM, and the clarity and smoothness of their highs are just awesome. My problem with the RE-400 was that mid-bass and low bass was a bit to be desired. No, I'm not a bass head, but hearing guitars, drums, and some electronic versions of bass is just flat out fun. The RE-400 has very tight bass, but I need my fiio E12 additional bass setting to push more power to the lower frequencies, and even then it was just okay. The RE-400 is best with acoustic guitars, strings, pianos and vocals, but is not a rock, hip-hop, electronic type IEM. 

Insert the Hifiman RE300 ... I bought both the 300i and the 300h, and yes there is a significant difference between the two. I don't care for mic's and controls on the cables because that's what a damn phone is for. I hate that "professional" reviews point this "deficiency" out, and grade poorly. To me, there is no added convenience to have an inline mic and volume control features, but I guess it is a market demand for the non-audiophile types. 

I had a three fold setup to test different configurations:
Setup 1 - iphone 5c (all with 16/44.1 files)
Setup 2 - iPod 6th gen with the fiio E12 connected with an L9 line out cable (all with 16/44.1 files)
Setup 3 - Audioquest's Dragonfly 1.2 out of my MacBook Air using Audirvana Plus (all with 24/96+ or 16/44.1 files)

Music types: Zac Brown Band, Foo Fighters (album and live), Michael Jackson (Thriller Album), Violin Concerto No. 1, Alicia Keys, Bruno Mars, Linkin Park, John Mayer, Hans Zimmer,  Daft Punk, The Band Perry, Aloe Blacc, and Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (obviously I love all kinds of music)

I did comparisons with the RE300i, RE300h, and RE-400 IEMs. 

The obvious thing I could immediately hear is the loudness of the RE300H versus the RE300i. There is an obvious answer why, and that is the RE300H is a 16ohm IEM where the RE300i is a 32ohm IEM. Higher impedance = less current on voltage drive amps (which is pretty much all of them). The i and H IEMs probably have the same drivers, it's just with the mic integrated or different cable type they were forced to a different wiring configuration to the drivers (speculation of course). Who knows why, but I can tell the difference right away.

I agree with the previous posts ... first thing I noticed was the bass with either the i or H. With country and rock songs, I could feel the punch of the bass drums. With the string instruments I could hear the cello after the bow had pushed against the strings. With the hip-hop and electronic music the bass hits were just something I've never heard from a Hifiman IEM. I did a quick comparison to a set of JVC IEMs (which are just all bass and nothing more), and the bass was so much cleaner. Hifiman IEM Bass, where have you been!

The mids were neither sacrificed with the i nor H from the RE-400. I do, however, think there is a little bleed-over of the RE300i in the mid bass 200 - 400 Hz frequency ... Nothing a little equalizing can't take of. I heard none of this bleed with the RE300H, however the lower vocals on both the i and H were a little too much. Needed to tone down a bit. Something the RE-400 had a clear improvement. The RE300i started to tail off at the higher end of the vocal spectrum and not do well in the highs.

Finally, the highs of the RE-400 are still superior than either of the RE300i or the RE300H. I do, however, think the RE300H is still very good. Symbol clashes, hand claps, and percussions sound clear, and really weren't too far behind the RE-400. I hate bright highs, and that is not hifiman at all. I do think that the RE300H has harsh highs somewhat (like too much harsh, as opposed to piercing bright). The RE300i, however, did not sound good at the top end. To me, sounded muddled, and really required some equalizing to help, but the deficiencies were too much to really get the i's to an adequate state (at least for me). 

As for the sounds in the different configurations, the RE300H paired with any of the configs sounded great. A good DAC like the Dragonfly 1.2 pushed the highs and vocals well. The Foo Fighters Skin and Bones Live album is just unreal with these IEMs. They aren't bass head IEMs, but the presence may be too much for those who despise bass overpowering other spectrum. For me, it's absolutely perfect balance for Rock Music and Country. The RE300H sounds great with the pairing of the iPhone, especially with my fiio E12 amp. I don't think the additional bass switch is necessary, but if you want to have fun with Rock and Hip-Hop, it's punchy and tight.

I do not like the sound from the RE300i's I've decided. Too little on the high mids and the highs are not good enough, and the bleed of the mid-lows. Probably adequate at the $50 price tag for sure, but average is the best word that describes it. The pairing with the iPhone was what sealed the deal for me for the RE300i review. When on the dragonfly 1.2 DAC, the high's started to appear, but certainly not with the awful iPhone DAC and amp. This is funny to me because the point of having the RE300i is to pair with the iPhone with the additional features, but the sound really is not there. However, at the $50 price tag, good deal compared to some of the more popular consumer brands.

The RE300H is phenomenal for its price tag at $50. Sacrificed highs for an enormous improvement in the lows when compared to the RE-400. Instruments sound good on these, it almost feels like I'm stealing from Hifiman at this price tag.

So that gets me into some speculation ... why did Hifiman decide to put different models out? Were they not getting enough sales from the RE-400 because people who want more features in the product require a mic and controls? And I realize good cabling can make a world of difference, but why such a difference between the two models with the impedances and frequency specs (RE300i is 20 - 20k and RE300H is 15 - 22k)? I believe this is a blatant attempt to show the world that Hifiman can build quality for "convenience" and make good sales with the RE300i, but if you just keep things simple, pay attention to details such as good cabling, it can make the world of difference. I also think at the price point, Hifiman is basically waving on the competition as to say "come guys, keep up". 

Some other things to note ... the drivers on these IEMs are much smaller than I thought they were going to be. The plastic casing looks larger in the photos (caution: objects in picture look larger than they appear), but they are clearly smaller than my RE-400. The fit is perfect for me, and the isolation is very good. Aesthetically these are bad ass, if that matters to you.

Overall, the RE300H is one of the best IEMs for the dollar at this price point, and the RE300i is good but not great. Sure, $600 pair of headphones will sound better, but that is obvious at the price points. IEMs at the RE300 price point that manufacturers JVC, skull candy, beats, and Monster exist, but only expose certain frequency spectrum to trick regular consumers in thinking they sound good. The RE300H is an IEM that is balanced, and sounds great with many different types of music. Great buy, great job Hifiman once again, and thank you for the additional bass for the non-audiophile music types.

Thank you for the detailed and fair impressions jomito7! I will add it to the OP.

You've provided a nice three way comparison that gives it perspective. Our listening preferences do match so that helps too.
I think I will find the RE300h suits my preferences, rather than the RE300a.

I am absolutely stunned to know that the housing smaller than the RE400, which is tiny as it is. Could you post a side by side picture. The official pictures do make it seem like it would be larger (no reference after all)

Once again thank you for the fabulous first post. 
beerchug.gif

PS: Actually the RE400 is HiFiMAN's top selling IEM of all time (was mentioned in a post somewhere).
The 50$ bracket has been bustling in the past few months with the Ostry, Havi, VSD3 etc selling in huge numbers. I'm glad that HiFiMAN has joined the fray with a solid offering. A common consumer oriented V shaped sound is common in lower price brackets. Now, it is still dominated by that type of signature but relatively neutral options are also starting to become popular. HiFiMAN has addresses both these groups with the RE300i and RE300h. This is all of course IMO 
smile.gif

PS2: What would you say that the RE300h goes for 25$ in China (Officially sold by HIFIMAN) 
tongue.gif

And a week ago the RE400 was going for 49$.

Nov 18, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #49 of 213
I do agree with him 100% on how he hears the 300i. Bloated bass that bleeds into the mids, and smoothed out treble make for a blurry little listen. Not worth the $50. The 300h on the other hand is the new little big boy on the block...try and knock him off?

Happy listening!

Nov 18, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #50 of 213
Just to share, if you have access to Taobao/Tmall, you can order from the link below for about $25. I just ordered mine together with a bunch of other iems.

http://taiwan.tmall.com/item/42367668111.htm?id=42367668111&spm=a1z09.2.9.10.61Erau&_u=i1ua2o3ib19b 

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #53 of 213
Nov 18, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #54 of 213
2 notes: the housing is around the size of an altoids mint, with a particularly large nozzle; and the cable is rather microphonic, so I found over ear necessary if movement is involved.

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #55 of 213
I got my 300i. OK, but no comparison for RE400. Bass is a little stronger, but clarity falls way short to me. I do like the fit a lot -- would make a good gym IEM. My volume control does not work consistently, so I will return mine. Have not decided whether to try the 300h or just get money back.

p.s. I wonder if HiFiMan is coming out with something new around the RE400 space. Their price has gone from $99 to $79 recently.

Nov 18, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #56 of 213
I got my 300i. OK, but no comparison for RE400. Bass is a little stronger, but clarity falls way short to me. I do like the fit a lot -- would make a good gym IEM. My volume control does not work consistently, so I will return mine. Have not decided whether to try the 300h or just get money back.

p.s. I wonder if HiFiMan is coming out with something new around the RE400 space. Their price has gone from $99 to $79 recently.

Get the 300h. No comparison with the 300i. Those are bassy, blurry crap

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #57 of 213
Get the 300h. No comparison with the 300i. Those are bassy, blurry crap

Let me correct you. They sound identical when driven using a good headphone amplifier or source.
I've tested both at a shop (offering them for vastly inflated prices) with all of: Leckerton UHA-6s mkII, FiiO E17, FiiO E7, my antique LG-GT540.
The one that sounded different was the shop's FiiO E10. (10 Ohm output impedance?)

RE-300a and RE-300i sound different than RE-300h when driven off a high impedance source, in excess of about 4 Ohm. In this case, bass on RE-300h gets cut.
In addition, something happens to their highs making them harsher too.

This happens on a few phones and some broken amplifiers, sound cards and DACs. (I consider any device meant for use with headphones that has more than 1 Ohm output impedance broken.)

They're very close to RE-400, though more bassy and slightly reduced in highs. The latter trait is shared with RE-600, as is the general signature.
There is a hint of bass bloom, but it disappears when it's equalized. Highs can be made exactly identical as RE-400 with minor eq. They're already extremely close to RE-600. The sound is exactly as if you took RE-600, added a bass resonator at around 120 Hz, changed the filter to a higher impedance one and reduced horn effect of the shell, removing a bit of energy around 4kHz. I'd wager the driver is identical or almost identical.

Getting one RE-300a for the phone use already from a shop that does not rip people off. Hopefully the in-line control, cable and microphone will withstand use better than RE-400 and RE-600, whose cables notoriously break for me.

Nov 18, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #58 of 213
Let me correct you. They sound identical when driven using a good headphone amplifier or source.
I've tested both at a shop (offering them for vastly inflated prices) with all of: Leckerton UHA-6s mkII, FiiO E17, FiiO E7, my antique LG-GT540.
The one that sounded different was the shop's FiiO E10. (10 Ohm output impedance?)

RE-300a and RE-300i sound different than RE-300h when driven off a high impedance source, in excess of about 4 Ohm. In this case, bass on RE-300h gets cut.
In addition, something happens to their highs making them harsher too.

This happens on a few phones and some broken amplifiers, sound cards and DACs. (I consider any device meant for use with headphones that has more than 1 Ohm output impedance broken.)

They're very close to RE-400, though more bassy and slightly reduced in highs. The latter trait is shared with RE-600, as is the general signature.
There is a hint of bass bloom, but it disappears when it's equalized. Highs can be made exactly identical as RE-400 with minor eq. They're already extremely close to RE-600. The sound is exactly as if you took RE-600, added a bass resonator at around 120 Hz, changed the filter to a higher impedance one and reduced horn effect of the shell, removing a bit of energy around 4kHz. I'd wager the driver is identical or almost identical.

Getting one RE-300a for the phone use already from a shop that does not rip people off. Hopefully the in-line control, cable and microphone will withstand use better than RE-400 and RE-600, whose cables notoriously break for me.

They do not sound identical. I hate to correct you, but don't decieve potential buyers with this. I have the E11k, run through high quality silver plated connectors, though my X1, Sony, and iPhone 6, and in no way shape or form can they sound identical, when the tuning is different. That's like saying an apple and an orange are identical, because you spray paint an Apple orange. The specs are even different, for those into specs. Please good sir, I don't mean to be harsh with you, but don't come here talking this nonsense. You might steer someone into making the wrong purchase? The original posters review is very accurate, and I am thankful he posted it.

Carry on Gentlemen.

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #60 of 213
I like the fit a lot -- is kind of like apple ipods, but with more isolation. Quite small and ergonomic. Could not be more different that RE-400, which is small and light but round and symmetrical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back