Hifiman RE0 Earphones
Jan 13, 2010 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Spirit84

New Head-Fier
Question for the experts - of which I am not!
I purchased these IEMs and received them today. I know that they are very highly reviewed but I am finding that they are extremely lacking in bass. Is this a common comment about these? Am I missing something?

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #2 of 13
what were you using before? some people find it lacking in bass but it really is just an accurate iem. give it a couple days and see if you like them.

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what were you using before? some people find it lacking in bass but it really is just an accurate iem. give it a couple days and see if you like them.

Thanks for answering so quickly Rawster!
I have never owned IEMs before. I am used to Sennheiser 600s. I was just very underwhelmed when I first tried them on - great highs but very little bottom.
If you read this reply perhaps you can help me with a couple of stupid questions!
1: The RE0s come with 2 sets of white buds and 3 sets of black ones. I can get the white ones on quite easily, but try as I migh, I cannot get the black ones on at all.
2: The box contains a small strip of paper with 10 tiny black circle thingees. Do you know what these are for?
thanks

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 13
The 'black circle thingies' are replacement filters. over time, filters get clogged with earwax and need to be replaced.
I don't have the RE0 yet (still in the mail) so I can't answer your tip question.
Make sure you're getting a proper fit, and maybe try using an amp.

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spirit84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for answering so quickly Rawster!
I have never owned IEMs before. I am used to Sennheiser 600s. I was just very underwhelmed when I first tried them on - great highs but very little bottom.
If you read this reply perhaps you can help me with a couple of stupid questions!
1: The RE0s come with 2 sets of white buds and 3 sets of black ones. I can get the white ones on quite easily, but try as I migh, I cannot get the black ones on at all.
2: The box contains a small strip of paper with 10 tiny black circle thingees. Do you know what these are for?
thanks

To get the black ones on, flip the bud inside out, and then try to get one side of the stem over the nozzle. The other side will then just slip over.

You have to experiment with the different buds to find a good one, and you will find that the black buds will actually probably give you more bass. However, for much better bass response I'd recommend you try buds from other manufacturers - for instance, Sony makes a set of replacement tips called "Sony Hybrids" that come in black or white in packs like this:

https://www.antonline.com/images/027242748149.jpg

I personally use these tips and find that they improve the bass on the RE0 by quite a lot.

All that said, you only have had the IEM's for a while, and they should improve with time as you listen. (Burn-in.) The driver inside the earphone is a moving part, and needs to loosen up to some extent.

Do not expect to get the same amount of bass as you are used to, but over time you will really appreciate the clarity of the RE0's.

I hope this helps you!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #6 of 13
If they continue to seem to bass light you may want top flip them and try the SEnn IE7 or if you can stomach the price, IE8. If both of those are out of your price range search for bassy iems in the price range you can afford.

I personally bought a pair of Audio Technica CKS70's and they lead me getting an HD600 and I now have a pair of used IE8's coming in sometime in the next couple of weeks LOL. I am really hoping the two Senn's will be a knock out punch and I can stop obsessing on better sound.

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #7 of 13
Also, if you use the round tips (i.e. not biflange), make sure that the tip isn't inserted too far in. I've found that inserting the tips just to the point where they make a seal, but no further in, provides the best bass response.

Jan 13, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #8 of 13
They have their own shine if you can appreciate them, balance and neutral phones are more towards studio monitors than open cans like your HD600.

If you can't adjust to them, I'd suggest you get something along the lines of the westone 3/ TF10p

Jan 13, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #9 of 13
the black silicon tips takes a while to figure out how to get it on. a bit annoying at first but you will get the hang of it. also im not sure if i will ever have the need to change filters..tho i wouldnt know how to take them off in the first place ;p

Jan 13, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #10 of 13
Yeah, bass is light. Two things to consider though:
-break in
-amping

These earphones do require some break in time to loosen up. Sensitivity goes up a good bit, and the loosen and open up a little. They still aren't bass heavy by default though. Amping is also a big factor as they are relatively low sensitivity and high ohm earphones. Dynamic range comes from adequate wattage overhead. I've used them without and with a FiiO E5. You don't quite get the gusto you need from just the E5. I had similar results with Yuin's OK1 which is a high ohm bud earphone. The E5 while cheap and a good bump up from nothing simply can't deliver the brute force needed sometimes with some of these earphones. From folks who have used the RE0 with more powerful amps, they do say it scales well with power.

EQing is another aspect that you can include to get the response to where you want. It would require some software to do so though, but it can help turn any earphone into the ideal earphone by negating any default response setup. I will note that I did play with EQing a bit with the RE0. I will say that I found EQing on the bottom end not all that useful. However, I also question if it is a limit of the driver used or of limited wattage.

Tip choice will also be important in the end response, including bass.

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, if you use the round tips (i.e. not biflange), make sure that the tip isn't inserted too far in. I've found that inserting the tips just to the point where they make a seal, but no further in, provides the best bass response.

I was just about to say that. The further you push them in, the less you'll get.

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #12 of 13
I have yet to find myself in a situation where a different bass heavy earphone can produce a sound that the RE0 cannot. The RE0 lets me hear everything, it's just that the bass isn't prominent and I would like more extension when unamped but it's not a big deal for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back