HiFiMan RE-600 Review
Jun 26, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #123 of 902
Wow these are really nice..  I want...  Also can anyone recommend a good portable amp to go with my HTC one and re-400's for under 100$ that would make a noticeable difference? 

Jun 26, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #124 of 902
These are easy to drive and it's the HTC's output that is sucky and no amp will change it.
What you need instead is an USB Audio DAC.

I'd say, FiiO Andes E07K, successor of FiiO E7. Available e.g. on Amazon for $90. Older stock E7 might be around too, probably discounted.
The USB Audio is completely standard, so it might even work out of the box. If not, you might have to root the phone and install the kernel module and/or modded firmware.

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #126 of 902
I used to own the Hifiman RE0, and currently own the RE272. I am a huge fan of their sound signature, and can't wait to give their new flagship a listen. Unfortunately, the build quality of both the RE0, and RE272 did not meet my expectations. The reason why I said that I used to own the RE0 is that the shell split, and the cable tore right near the housing. After a year of use, my RE272 has had no such issue, however the paint-job on the housings as well as the lettering for left and right scratched off rather easily. Considering that the RE272 was a flagship product, I had very high expectations regarding build quality, and I hope that Hifiman can rectify any issues with their new iteration. 

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #127 of 902
Where will you get it from? European dealer?
Quote:
Marvelous that they are going to be available on thursday, atleast for my ears xD

Jun 27, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #128 of 902
Anyone know how the reproduction of drums compares between the RE-600 and the AH-C 701 / 751?

I'm familiar with the abilities of CIEMs, having owned UM Miracle and SE-5, but the best reproduction of deep percussion I've ever heard in an IEM  or CIEM is Denon's AH-C 701. It just excels at startlingly realistic rendition of kick drums etc.

Please note that I'm not referring to whether a CIEM  or IEM has a 'bassy characteristic'. Not at all. I am simply referring to how convincingly it can reproduce dynamic notes that requires fast movement of lots of air, as would be the case with a kick drum, for example. This is where balanced armature CIEMs tend to lose out to dynamic drivers, but many dynamic drivers lack Pace, Rhythm and Timing.

Would be really interested to know how the RE-600 compares in this regard...

I hope they're good.    They should be, for 400 bucks..!

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #131 of 902
I have the RE-400s. Their decent for the price. The a bit shy in texture outside of the midrange where they excel best.  My only big gripe is the cinch. When on the go for outdoor power walk and such I prefer to wear up an over the ear and cinch behind my head. This is normally easy for me since I've no hair. The cinch on the RE-400 however begs to differ and will not hold in place, since it's just a small block of alloy or aluminum.  Maybe a little rosen might help.

As for the the RE-400 being tiny and in the head, as one poster said somewhere around page 2, I don't think that's the case at all. I think their soundstage and perspective are pretty good for the price range.

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #132 of 902
Just back from the NYC event, finally heard the re600. I briefly compared them with my re400 and JH13 (well, I know, this was not fair...) anyway..... my impressions are by no mean comprehensive due to the event situation and short listening time, but I am doing my best.

re600 sounds really nice, but not enough for me to swipe my credit card for now, here's why:

hpp1 -> re600 / re400:
they are very similar in sound signature, balanced through out the range. To my ears, re600 have slightly wider and deeper sound stage, a more details and extended treble but not too much(re400s are already excellent), the bass seems to have more body and flesh, again, not much, but noticeable if you hear carefully. Overall, the difference is there but not that big

hpp1 -> re600 / JH13:
JH13s have deeper sound stage and instrument separation, I could not hear clear difference in the mids of those two, but the highs and bass are different. JH13s have more bass in quantity, but I felt re600's bass is slightly tighter. they are both very fast. And re600 have well extended highs, even further than JH13 to my ear, but in comparison, I like JH13s more because the highs from re600 are sometimes too sharp for me. 

hm901 -> re400(SE) / re600(Balanced):
here is where re600 beats re400 in a wide margin, it is a whole different animal in the balanced mode. Extremely rich in details and super transparent on the balanced re600s, the vocal is more colorful. Sorry for not being able to say more bout the balanced re600s on 901, only listened to 1 song and did not have chance to plug the JHs in 901 due to the angry waiting people in the line
deadhorse.gif

Also, the hpp1 can not drive HE300/400/500 to the same league as re600s, this little baby sounds way better out of my hpp1. 

I finally decided to stay with my current rig and save the money for hm901+balanced card since I do not have enough fund for the 901 combo for now, but I will seriously consider the hm901 with the balanced amp card and re-cable my JH13s in a few months.

Jun 27, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #133 of 902
Quote:
It's Thursday.. no information on the 600's showing....?

I agree with Mython.. The RE-600 and the HE-600 are the same price... makes one think about it..

I'm sure the RE-600 will be superior to the HE-400
smily_headphones1.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 27, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #134 of 902
add:

if I did not have re400s and did not hear re600s under the 901 balanced mode, my money would already belonged to HiFiMAN..... still surprised by how much improvement of re600s running in balanced 901.....

And if you are buying the re600s, just ignore the stock tips and get some nice ones elsewhere if you do not have narrow ear cannels, the tips are the same as re400's and poor in seal for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back